Malwarebytes paid version?

Thanks to this thread, I’m the tech support saviour once again.

My wife was complaining her computer was running really, really, really slow. It’s an eight year old desktop so I though the latest Windows update might be the culprit but there wasn’t an update that corresponded to when she complained about the slowdown. Troubleshooting it was nearly impossible since the system literally took half an hour just to get task manager to show and the display was corrupted. After some putzing around, I just decided to try uninstalling Malwarebytes. Suddenly all was well again.

I had the same thing happen about a week back. This is twice now I have had to uninstall and go to their site to get an update that worked. It’s not a good business model they are pushing.

I’ve left it uninstalled. It doesn’t seem worthwhile to trust that their QA will be able to catch the next big performance hogging bug in their software.

Yeah, this is where I am as well. I’m not happy about it either.

There must be a problem with a recent update. For the last couple of weeks, the boot times on my PC had increased to five minutes. Uninstalled MBAM over the weekend, and the boot times went back to normal.

You should still use it, just perhaps without the realtime protection enabled.

Initially I tried disabling automatic startup, and it didn’t reduce the boot time.

I’ll tinker with it at some point. Fortunately I have a lifetime key, so I’m not burning through subscription money while it’s uninstalled.

For those that continue to have problems, I’d try disabling just the Web protection first, before disabling real-time protection entirely.

From what I’ve read, it’s one module, I think it’s the one having to do with anti-ransomware protection. Certainly try disabling them one by one to find out which.

Just an update, as I had time to take a closer look at my PC over the weekend. After I uninstalled MBAM, the boot time was faster overall, but some activities were still very slow for the first few minutes.

Turned out the AV program was the culprit (Panda AV). I swapped it out for a different one (Bitdefender) and reinstalled MBAM, and everything is working fine. So it wasn’t Malwarebytes’ fault after all.

I’ve been using Bitdefender, and every time my PC would slow down, it was always mbamservice.exe. Every time. I reinstalled it but turned off all the real-time stuff, so now it just does a scan every morning. I’m cool with that.

Defender has been racking up top scores of late in detection tests. Defender and MBAM Premium is a very robust defense.

That issue where Malwarebytes seemed to be hogging up memory is still happening to me even though I’m running on the latest. It could eat up to 10GB of my memory!

When I turned off all the real time protection (web, exploit, malware, ransomware), it hovers around 5GB. It’s obvious that Malwarebytes have not fully fixed this error. Disappointing!

I’ve had it happen consistently enough that I just disable and unload it at the first sign of an issue. After YEARS of loving Malwarebytes I really cannot believe how much they keep screwing the pooch with their premium offering. Get it together, guys!

I’ve got MBAM Premium running on about 5 systems, and aside from that update fiasco early this year, it’s been going fine. Not sure what’s going on in your situations.

They did push out a new version last week. V3.5

Great, they’ll tell me I need to update, and then the update will break the entire thing. Again.

I think I just need to uninstall and reinstall with every update. It’s been running fine for me since I turned off the real-time protections.

Use their cleaner utility to remove it entirely; it’ll automatically downloaded the latest version after restart.

Yeah, you’re right, that’s really the best way.

I don’t have this memory issue (even early this year), until I did an upgrade to V3.5. Then, I notice slow down in my system and high memory consumption… and I remember this thread.