Mandy - Nicholas Cage, directed by the man who brought us Beyond the Black Rainbow

Trailer:

My body is ready.

Beyond the Black Rainbow was not for everyone, but holy hell was it for me. And judging by that trailer Panos Cosmatos keeps making things relevant to my interests.

US cinema release September 14th.

Well that was [exact same reaction as I had to Beyond the Black Rainbow trailer]. Which seems like what Cosmatos is going for.

This reminds me I really need to see that finally.

I really dug BtBR, but casting Nick Cage just automatically means I can’t take it seriously.

But the final Johann Johannsson score is pretty exciting.

Define “seriously”. This looks like a deranged amalgation of the 80:s VHS-cover fever dream of Beyond the Black Rainbow and the most metal album art imaginable.

Give Cage the right material and he can be great, and this should fit him like a hand in glove.

I watch just about every Cage movie, people at work mock me constantly.

This is so nearly literally Cagemas in July.

I can’t remember that last thing he was great in…Adaptation, maybe?

Cosmatos is obviously supremely talented, so this could turn out. I’ll be seeing it, anyway.

Adaptation is a hard bar to clear for anything, but his high water marks since then have probably been Kick-Ass, Bad Lieutenant:Port of Call New Orleans and Joe.

2011 was the last year Cage put out anything mildly decent.

Drive Angry
Season of the Witch
Ghost Rider : Spirit of Vengeance.

After that year they only got worse. :D

• I never saw Joe.

There was at least one waifish girl in the trailer that kind of looked like the experiment/waif in Beyond The Black Rainbow. I wonder if the two movies are tied together at all?

Oh Mandy
You came and you brought me a turkey
On my vacation away from work-y

Cage was very good in Mom and Dad. No, it wasn’t anything ground breaking but he was a great fit there. It was certainly a case of right Cage at the right time (where time means director, script, moon phase).

I think this has serious “Right Cage at the right time” potential, but we’ll see.

Cage is polarizing, clearly. I happen to think he’s wonderful, but not always used in the right kinds of roles. Gonzo is not the only great Cage; he also plays a great hangdog, such as in Adaptation or Raising Arizona.

That said, Mandy is crazy Cage. Perhaps the ultimate crazy Cage, to judge by that trailer. I think the naysayers in this thread have to ask yourselves: who else would you have play this role? I’d say you’d lose a lot casting a different actor here.

Hey, there’s Bill Duke! OK, I’m in.

I watched this last night. it’s an LSD trip in a movie. It’s Cage at the perfect level of crazy. The first half is a bit slow, but stick with it. I have a 2 day rental and I’ll be watching this again tonight.

Simply the greatest.

Thanks for sharing that. That’s some great roles. Except Con Air. I can’t believe that’s in there.

So happy to hear him that he also loves Face Off. That was also my favorite performance of his. Both him and Trivolta had some exhaggerated performances, but it worked so well in this movie.

I’ve never heard of Bringing out the Dead. I’ll need to track that down.

Also I never thought of Cage’s performance in Adaptation since there was so much else to think about in that movie, but seeing those clips, I’m reminded that he was kind of awesome in that movie.

Also, I saw Harvey Keitel’s Bad Lieutenant, but never saw Cage’s.

OMG. You have to check out Bringing Out the Dead and Bad Lieutenant New Orleans. The first is Nic Cage held in check by Scorsese. The second is Cage turned loose and amped up by Herzog.

Oh wait, the Scorsese movie where he plays a Paramedic? Oh yeah, I loved that one. Sorry about that, I didn’t remember its name at all. I always just thought of it as the Paramedic movie.

Yeah, that was a really great movie. Very haunting.

Yeah, get rid of Con Air and make room for Birdy!