Manga and Comics for a 10-year-old?

I could have sworn there was a thread about this, but I can’t find it in the search.

My daughter loves comics, so far she’s read the Flight series along with it’s various spin-offs. She’s read the Franklin Richards series from Marvel. She loves Peanuts and has read most of the collected volumes.

We have most of the newspaper comics stuff like Calvin and Hobbes and Farside covered, so I’m mostly interested in some comic series (preferably available in some collected form).

If there is any good manga for kids that might interest her as well. I know the local library has a huge collection. She hasn’t read any yet, but she likes Hayao Miyazaki movies so I figure she might like certain manga as well.

I love having a geeky thing that we can share, but unfortunately my collection is stuff like Walking Dead and Preacher. Any ideas?

For conventional superheroics, the Marvel Adventures line is overall quite good, especially anything written by Jeff Parker, Fred Van Lente, or Paul Tobin, IMHO. It’s essentially a kiddie-friendly reboot of the Marvelverse; but in jettisoning all the continuity (and some of the ickier baggage) and not treating its target audience like idiots, they wind up nicely self-contained, refreshingly upbeat, and most of all fun. Power Pack in particular is just adorable, which is not something I would expect to say (and mean in a good way). Marvel recently canceled and consolidated a lot of the MA line (same thing they did with the Ultimate universe), but there are plenty of trades to go thru. There’s also Spider-girl from the MC2 imprint; I’m not a fan of Tom DeFalco’s writing, but apparently she has plenty of fans, so she might be worth checking out.

If she likes Miyazaki movies, I’d strongly recommend his Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga. As far as I’m concerned, it’s up there with Dune as one of the finest Sci-Fi ecological stories ever. Nausicaa is one of the strongest female protagonists ever, with only a hint of Mary Sue to her, and her animal companion is adorable.

On the other hand, there is a lot of graphic violence, very brief nudity, and a very bleak worldview, so maybe check out a library copy and preview it before handing it to her.

My kids love the DC kids line: Scooby Doo, Tiny Titans, and Batman: Brave and the Bold. My 9 year-old son also loves Scrooge McDuck.

My son doesn’t like them, but Tintin might also be good.

Nausicaa is great, but might be a little too weighty for a 10-year-old. My knowledge of kid-friendly manga is pretty spartan these days, but Yotsuba&! is disarming and sweet without being cloying.

Oh, and Bone should definitely be mentioned.

I have the Bone collection, don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I don’t really know anything about mangas for 10-year olds, but you might want to consider some European comics. Tintin, Asterix, Lucky Luke, Spirou et Fantasio and The Bluecoats are all well-suited for a child that age, I think.

I’m not quite sure if all of those have been translated to English, but it should be possible to find at least some of them.

For manga I’d at least go with Cardcaptor Sakura.
Comics… well, Castle Waiting might be an option?

The only ones I can think of for manga are Eyeshield 21, Fruits Basket (Not that I would know), Ouran High School Host Club, Sergeant Frog and possibly School Rumble.

G-Man is fantastic. I just received the first two volumes again (after giving away the first volume and the issues that make up the second after seeing how much my young cousins loved it). It’s a great little superhero parody book that isn’t afraid to challenge kids a bit. I love them and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like Giarusso’s stuff.

He also did some Marvel work, a good portion of which is collected in the Mini Marvels Ultimate Collection. Hulk Goes On a Date is a classic but this book does sort of somewhat rely on the kid understanding a little bit of superhero mythos (nothing more than whatever’s in the movies) so if she’s completely unaware of the MU, then maybe Mini Marvels isn’t the best choice.

But definitely get G-Man. It’s cheap too, they just reprinted both volumes and they are each $9.99. Make sure you get the new edition of the first one though, it’s bigger and the same price.

Marvel’s Wizard of Oz is sitting on my shelf. It looks gorgeous and it has a talented team so I’m sure it’s decent. I also really dig Thor: The Mighty Avenger. The first collection of that is not out yet though.

I’m not sure what you guys think, but what about The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck? I mean, I love it, but are scenes such as these too much:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7164484/8.jpg

Chris Giarrusso is great, although some of his Marvel stuff may be too in-joke-y for a ten-year-old; would she really get a parody of old Charles Atlas ads or jokes about the time when Hulk, Spidey, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider were the Fantastic Four?

Asterix is great. I started reading it when I was about seven, I still read it this day. It’s beautifully layered from simple action/adventure that a young kid will get, to jokes you get as a teenager, to puns and historical references you get once you’re older again. And Dogmatix is fantastic, I challenge you to find a 10 year old that doesn’t want a puppy after reading a story with him in it.

On the Manga front, I’d recommend Hunter x Hunter. Really sweet in a non cutsey-pie way. It’s a story about a kid aged 10 or so who has been brought up by his aunt, after his mother died at an early age. He discovers his father is a famous “hunter” and sets out to find him. Hunters are a range of things from people who bounty hunt, hunt rare animals to protect them, hunt rare foods to cook them, and generally compete. They’re all part of the Hunter organisation and the first few books deal with Gon (the protaganist) competing in a series of challenges to become a Hunter. It’s sweet because it deals with the friendships he makes alongside the adventure of the hunter test. The guy who becomes his best friend is from an assassin family who is amazingly talented but decides he’s bored and doesn’t want to go in on the family business.

I know I’m saying a lot about it, but it really is a phenomenal story. I think it was published originally in Shonen Jump, which is aimed at tweenage boys, but if she’s an adventurous kid, she’d love them. I watched the anime and then went back and read the manga and I’d recommend both of them. Thoroughly enjoyable as a nerdy adult, but I’d have killed to have had them as a 10 year old.

If you can still track it down in trade paperback form, I really enjoyed DC’s Impulse when I was like 10-13. He is the Flash’s grandson. From the 30th Century, where the Flash lived and had babies for a bit before he came back to the present, died and came back again (god damnit, DC). Still, I managed to get into the series just fine even though that crazy shit was my first introduction to insane comics continuity. It’s essentially the antics of early teen ADD superhero and his crotchety superhero surrogate dad.

The character, Bart Allen, is now the current Kid Flash and not nearly as fun.

How about Beanworld? It’s unusual stuff, kind of psychedelic in origin, I think, but quite sweet.

I’ll third the vote for Nausicaa (including the caveat for violence ) – it’s the Lord of the Rings of comics, totally engrossing if you can penetrate the initial roadblocks, and a test bed for most of the themes and ideas that would find their way into future Miyazaki films. It’s also epic and dense, so it will likely keep your daughter occupied for longer than most comics.

And I’ll second Anders’ vote for the Scrooge stories, they are awesome. Carl Barks was a genius, and Don Rosa has done an admirable job of filling his shoes. Great, grounded, entertaining adventure stories rendered by a master.

I had some success with giving Joann Sfar’s Little Vampire to my neighbors’ daughters, who are 11.

And to plug my own work, I edit a “young readers” line of short biographical comics for Hyperion that includes one about Amelia Earhart, which might be of particular interest to a 10-year-old girl, and which you can probably find at your local library.

I didn’t even think about biographical comics Jason, that’s a great idea and the local library has a ton of them.

My daughter got into anime and manga for a bit when she was 10. She really liked Pichi Pichi Pitch! Mermaid Melody. This is a 7 book series that is similar to the traditional Little Mermaid story. She also liked Pixie Pop, which is a series where a girl tranforms when she drinks different beverages. Fun and safe choices.

That’s why you get G-Man for her!
As good as his Marvel stuff is, G-Man is even better. types this a mere two feet away from his Giarusso Hulk sketch