Marathon - Bungie and Sony, PvP Extraction

Ahh, lol, I’ve heard a bit of Justice but obviously not that track! Thanks for the clarification!

It’s a little weird to me that the thread title is “Marathon - Bungie and Sony”. I was used to Bungie making games for Apple Macintoshes and, grudgingly, IBM PC-compatibles. Then Microsoft hoovered them up for XBox exclusives. To see a Bungie game on a next gen PlayStation console is like seeing the next Mario Kart game released on Xboxes and Sega Dreamcast IIs.

Maybe we can see a Myth revival? Whether as a squad-level RTS or a match 3 game. Either would be nice.

Did you miss out on Destiny? They’ve been releasing games for PlayStations too for a long time now.

Yeah, I guess that flew under my radar. I’m skimming the Wiki article on it. It came out way back for the PS3? It’s considered to be “one of the greatest video games of all time”!?

Screenshot_20230526-220846

Can that possibly be true?

It definitely did NOT come out on the PS3. It was an Xbox One/PS4 title, though early in the generation.

Edit: Ah damn, you’re right, I guess it was a cross-gen title.

Really? It was released for the 360, did it not come to PS3 as well?

Fun historical fact: more time has passed between the release of Destiny and now than passed between the release of Doom and the release of Halo.

And Xbox too. Kind of strange for them to not mention that in the announcement post. Sure, the PlayStation blog might have some policy to not acknowledge competing consoles, but this is still a Sony first party game.

What we’ve seen of the art style looks nice, but that interview video was otherwise really off-putting.

I didn’t like the whole ‘there are so many ways you can become infamous!’, like… yeah, sure, if you’re good enough and can commit your life to it. I get wanting to win in competitive games, and I get the allure of ‘rock star’ status but, gah, don’t make being the ‘best’ or ‘first’ to do something a hook. That’s inherently not going to apply to 99.99% of players.

A few things I like though: cross-play, cross-save, dedicated servers, disconnect restore. Hunt only got the latter fairly recently and I don’t know an extraction shooter that’s cross-play. Apparently Rainbow Six Extraction has it?

I noticed this while watching:

It’s part of the motion graphics/glitch effect and goes from her name, to Yoshito_Tamura, then back again. Seems very much intentional and only happens on her lower thirds. I wonder what it is.

Oh wait, it’s probably part of some ARG.

Edit:

Username: Yoshito_Tamura
Password: CHARON (thanks Twitter, I guess)

https://twitter.com/MyNameIsTakenXR/status/1661766294901858306

One of the greatest video games of all time? It is not.

It is a very successful GaaS title though, with a large population, good revenue and continuing content drops.

It is a Bungie shooter, so it is incredibly polished and fun to play, but it is also a GaaS game where when you reach the max level it is all about doing daily dungeon runs, quests, etc. Fine, but not a revolutionary title.

That Wikipedia article is really sniffing its own butt quite a bit. Destiny also was not a pioneer of the live-service genre. CS:GO was there before, as well as the real pioneer in GaaS, World of Warcraft/Everquest any MMO ever. Hell Dota 2 is probably the pioneer of the modern f2p GaaS model (LoL too).

Destiny is a great video game, but those claims are ludicrous. (and likely written by a Destiny Fan)