March 2013 NPD

Software:

1. Bioshock Infinite (360, PS3, PC) - 878K
  2. Tomb Raider 2013 (360, PS3)
  3. Gears of War: Judgement (360)
  4. God of War: Ascension (PS3)
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, WiiU)
  6. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) - 365K retail/415K incl digital
  7. MLB 13: The Show (PS3, PSV)
  8. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, WiiU, PSP, PC)
  9. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (360, PS3, WiiU)
  10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PS3)

Hardware:

Xbox 360 - 261K
WiiU - ?
Wii - ?
3DS - 245K
PS3 - ?
PSP - ?

All those poor people that bought Walking Dead Survival Instinct.

Just for comparison, from your thread last year:

March 2012

Hardware:
Xbox 360 - 371K
PlayStation 3 - 337K
Nintendo 3DS - 225K
Nintendo Wii - 175K

So the 360 dropped a lot from last year. The 3DS actually improved a little.

I guess monster hunter continues to mean nothing to the US, since Luigi launched almost a week later in March but is the only 3ds game in the top ten.

Ouch. That means Monster Hunter got outsold by Walking Dead Survival Instinct.

Huh, I’m surprised that it only improved a little, since the quality and variety of games seems to finally be hitting critical mass.

Don’t forget that there was a promotion for people that have bought a new 3DS recently: buy one of two games (Luigi’s Mansion or the Pokemon dungeon game), register your 3DS, and get a game free (Mario 3D, Starfox, Professor Layton). I know that we bought Luigi’s Mansion purely for this reason. I’m sure others did as well.

Don’t remind me :). I bought my xl just outside that window.

Hardware sales:

360 - 261K
3DS - 230K
PS3 - 211K
Wii - 91K
NDS - 86K
Wii U - 67K
PSV - 33K
PSP - 8K

The Wii U number is a disaster. No other way to put it.

These are supposedly the hardware numbers:

360 - 261K
3DS - 230K
PS3 - 211K
Wii - 91K
NDS - 86K
Wii U - 67K
PSV - 33K
PSP - 8K

Total disaster for the Wii U if accurate. And NFS:MW reportedly sold less than 10k on the Wii U, which might be the nail in the coffin for EA support. The Vita’s still sucking wind too, but everyone expected that. Not sure what the deal is with the 3DS variance.

Really scary for Nintendo. I don’t know how long the legs will be with the 3DS and it’s not exactly doing fantastic anyway.

I wonder how many non-gamers out there think the WiiU is just a Wii with the pseudo tablet controller packaged in.

Total industry sales fell 10 percent year-on-year to $992.5 million, as hardware sales fell 32 percent to $221.6 million, but total software sales (including PC games) inched up two percent to $602.4 million.

I industry is down again but software is up, a bit, and given the amount of new launches if it wasn’t it would be bad. But still is down from the record years of 2008 and 2009. I’m not sure why there isn’t a more clear delineation in the analyses between software sales and hardware sales.

The biggest titles, Bioshock Infinite and Tomb raider, had there biggest first month with Infinite selling 878,000 units , that should be good right? unless of course expectations where even higher.

Regarding Monster Hunter: I attribute its inability to gain a foothold in the West partly to Capcom continually jumping platforms with the series. We got the first game for PS2 (late in the console’s lifecycle, I might add), then Freedom/Freedom 2/Freedom Unite went to PSP (which was never as popular outside of Japan), then Tri for Wii, and finally 3 Ultimate for Wii U/3DS (the former of which isn’t selling so well). I imagine that any installed fanbase dissipates (significantly?) every time the next main entry releases for a new system.

Is there a source for those hardware numbers? The only ones I’m aware of as being verified are the 360 and 3DS numbers, both of which came from the manufacturer’s own PR.

If they would just release Monster Hunter on a decent platform they might actually make some sales. Whatever made capcom move away from Sony anyways?

Considering MH also sold like shit on Sony platforms in the US, I’m not sure you’re right about that. Multi-platform would maybe make more sense though.

Since the big shift in gaming is towards mobile gaming, you’d think a market survey company would… you know, start actually tracking those numbers.

The top 3 hardware manufacturers in the games industry aren’t even listed on that chart: Apple, Amazon and Samsung. Apple alone sells more units in a week as all of those guys did in a quarter combined. Small-time iOS game shops are generating 8 figures per quarter.

Looking at these numbers and judging the state of the games industry is like looking at Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Merkur sales and judging the state of the automobile industry.

None of those companies are actually manufacturing “games hardware.” They manufacture hardware that happens to be able to run games, which is no different from a monochrome Nokia phone with Snake loaded on it; just like those phones, people aren’t buying iPhones for the explicit purpose of playing video games on them.

The business of the games themselves is a different story, but that’s the same “NPD is an outmoded measure of sales because it doesn’t count digital” argument as always.

Wii U in “system with no mainstream-popular games doesn’t sell” shocker. Do we really need to talk about it every month, as if it’s going to change at all until the heavy hitters and/or a price drop come?

Brakara, Canuck: Monster Hunter 4 (3DS-exclusive) will sell better than any of the Monster Hunter games on other platforms ever did in Japan, which is the only real market that matters for the series. There’s basically no alternative; home consoles aren’t very popular, the PSP is old, the Vita isn’t mainstream, and you can’t put a real Monster Hunter game on a phone. On top of that, going multiplatform would most likely cost more than they would make back from the extra effort; their audience has already moved to the new platform, and since the 3DS version has online play this time, there’s no user benefit to adding another platform to the mix like there was with MH3U.

IOs appstore generates about 1 billion a quarter and by other account IOs is about 75% of mobile platforms revenue.

Given that retail in US also generates 600M in a month, worldwide it tops 1 Billion easy, and that is not counting digital downloads, and not counting the MMO free to play market. Sure mobile is still growing but the growth rate is falling, maybe someday it will surpass retail but not in the next year or two.

But agree if you take in account all game software in all platforms the overall revenue continues to grow, some developers will make game that cross multiple platforms, others will focus on specific platforms, but there is probably room for all approaches and don’t see any market ending in the near future.