March for Our Lives - March 24, 2018

My wife’s current plan: drag me and the kid out of bed at 0530 and get to the DC Mall around 0800 so we can get a spot close enough to a stage to see and hear stuff. The event itself actually starts at Noon and is supposed to go through 1500.

If anyone else is attending the DC event, I’m the tall guy carrying the sign standing next to a teen-aged daughter. Can’t miss me.

My wife has a similar plan for us, but in Southern California.

I’ll be heading to the NYC event (wife is working unfortunately) in support.

I’ll look for you on TV, should be easy to spot you.

Sadly, my daughter has a volleyball tournament this weekend. She does have the morning wave though, and the tournament is downtown, so if we get out early enough we may swing by the square here and see if March-related events are still going on.

Wishing all who are attending in various cities warm weather and a safe trip. It is exciting to see high school aged kids this active in something so important. No matter what happens with the issue of gun control legislation, this movement, along with #metoo, the US Gymnastics tragedy, and other events of the past year, have definitely raised political awareness for teens and hopefully leads to millions of them registering to vote and getting out to the polls this November and again in 2020.

Cool. I’ll be the average height and weight guy wearing a baseball cap and jeans. Should be easy to spot!

There’s a march to our state’s Capitol tomorrow. The idea is that the schoolkids will be doing the marching from an island not too far away, and they will rendezvous with the staid old farts like myself who have been waiting for them.

Fortunately the capital is only supposed to get 1–3 inches of snow tomorrow morning instead of the 9–12 inches other parts of the state might get. I’m tentatively planning to be there.

Saw this posted on reddit, and amazingly the companion thread actually demonstrates there is something that can unite people.

Patriots loan plane to Parkland students for D.C. trip
https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-loan-plane-parkland-students-182110992.html

I should have remembered to never read the comments. The horror.

On our way. I’ll try and post as the day goes on, but if the Women’s March is any guide, the cell towers will be overloaded

T-minus four hours.

Random Wisdoms

According to foxnews.com, these marches do not exist.

I’m going to a local march in Bath, NY. Will report later!

p.s. excellent Wisdom posters!

Unintentionally racist hand signals on sign. 🤔

T-minus three hours.

Two hours to go looks about the same as three since we’re packed pretty close now. Lots of chanting, some clever signs.

Uploading pics doesn’t seem possible with the network snarl right now.

Bath, NY

Over 200 people, and stirring speeches by a couple of local students. Cold as damn out.

And in contention for worst possible take, we have this:

“I have to say too, Lou, as an educator, there’s a couple of these kids that are just rude in the way that they proceed here, as if they are bulletproof, so to speak. But the media is almost laundering their own opinion through these kids.”

About a half hour to go.

I’ve petty much concluded that I shouldn’t be this close to the main stage at my age - I should’ve made room for more high schoolers, who seem to be in the majority.

Also, the nearest port-a-potty is about a hundred yards away but it might as well be on Saturn.

Favs so far:

You can’t fix stupid but you can vote it out.

The only thing easier to buy in the US than a gun is a republican.

There are better ways to reduce class size.

My dress code is stricter than the gun laws.

Chant: “We want a leader, not a creepy tweeter!”

I was in DC until yesterday, and I’m disappointed I didn’t just extend my trip to participate

Awesome. More, please, as you have time. :)