March for Our Lives - March 24, 2018

I just wonder at what point as you’re criticizing 16-year-old school-shooting survivors you look in the mirror and figure out you’ve become the villain in this story.

The NRA just gets worse and worse. I imagine after another shooting or two they’ll start echoing the “false flag,” “crisis actor,” and straight-up denial conspiracy theories because they keep having to dig themselves deeper and deeper.

These kids aren’t millennials, are they? Aren’t they the leading edge of a new generation? Born after 2000

Yeah, that was a mini-joke, because old people love millennials bashing.

The next generation doesn’t have an agreed upon moniker yet, but people were pushing “Founders” a while ago for some reason.

At this point, I’d be cool with referring to many of them as Congressmen or Senators in a few years.

How did the GOP get into power, when they are so incredibly bad at all of this?

Stupid article doesn’t even bother to explain what the origin of the term is supposed to be.

People like you voted for them far longer than you should have. :D

How they remain electorally viable is a combination of a really shitty corporate media system, Democratic incompetence, and the fact too many Americans are quite frankly really f’n stupid.

There’s also the psychological fact that it’s really hard to admit you are wrong in a major way and that psychology often causes people confronted with factual proof their beliefs are wrong often double down on those very same wrong beliefs. So once the right passed a certain point of commitment to the ideology and tribalism of Rush Limbaugh et. al., it became a vicious feedback cycle of increasing doubling down on increasingly wrong and extreme beliefs. This also explains why it was so hard for so many reasonable folks to take so long to admit they were wrong about the GOP.

I’ll take the progress we make, so I don’t feel like excoriating people like Timex and Strollen (too much). In the long run, every GOP voter who emulates Timex and Strollen is one voter closer to fixing this mess.

Wait a minute, I meant that a good bit tongue-in-cheek. Thus the smiley. I wasn’t trying to landblast (as my 10yo son might say) Timex with that last post, not at all.

Personally I don’t care if someone leans left or right, so long as they’re reasonable, moderate/sensible, and prone to respecting verified facts.

Well… this is the worst possible sign ever.

Unexpected support from the best Trump.

Yes, that’s her actual account.

My daughter and wife marched while I traveled for work. Her sign was simple but direct, I thought.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/380157-poll-voters-think-protecting-against-gun-violence-is-more

That is also true of all rights.

Due Process = “Oh, so we’re letting criminals off the hook?!?”
Free Speech = “Oh, so you love Nazis?”

From what I’ve seen a huge majority do favor things like universal background checks. Which are pretty reasonable really. It wouldn’t be hard to do since the system already exists, I got my Permit to Carry Weapons in about 5 minutes at the Sheriff’s office because they can just check it near-instantly. Gun shows act like it would be the end of the world and impossible, but the reality is we could do the same thing. Have someone from the local sheriff’s office there with internet access. People walk in, tell the cop their particulars, browse, if they want to buy something they come back and get something from the cop that says they cleared.

Bump stocks should be illegal and it’s beyond insane that they weren’t the second someone made one. There were stories of how malfunctioning pistols would get you arrested back in the day (basically a faulty trigger caused the gun to fire twice with a single pull), but somehow bump stocks confounded the ATF or something.

If you are debating with a sign at a demonstration of millions of people…maybe yell at some clouds instead.

So, I guess we agree then? It’s time for gun rights advocates to recognize that people are tired of piles of dead kids in their schools every few weeks, and agree to reasonable gun control measures that would maybe forestall a big over-correction once their favored party is out of power.

Or I suppose they could continue stamping their feet and shrieking “not one inch!”

Pretty sure I know which one.

Most likely on a lot of things. But I know of gun owners who refuse to listen to any reason. Partially because slippery slope (for which there is some concern imo), but mostly because they’re brainwashed by the NRA and literally anything short of everyone owning grenade launchers and a SAW is infringing on their rights.