March for Our Lives - March 24, 2018

I would disagree. Plenty of people have approvingly cited Australia gun buyback laws which also covered some shotguns etc. Plenty of reason to be worried about shotguns etc.

National gun registry is crazy to me. I am against any federal registers except voting. Huge powers to govt.

1. Should’ve happened ages ago.
  2. Depends heavily on the methodology used, but seems good as a concept.
  3. Sure. As long as there is a provision for emancipated 18-20 year-olds.
  4. Not sure its a great idea and wont cause more incidents than it solves, leave it up to local districts.
  5. Probably wont do anything and will be a rallying cry for pushing back against everything else, so not in favor of it for a variety of reasons.

LOL, what? Why?

Because they’re probably living alone and shouldn’t be deprived of the ability to defend themselves, imo. A kid with a family has options (including their parent buying a gun for them). That said a lot of places you need to be 21 to possess things like a handgun anyway. In Iowa you need to be 21 to possess a handgun unless directly supervised by a parent or guardian. Then again you can possess a shotgun, so that should cover home defense pretty well. Of course you can also own an AR-15 here and it’s not like it’s legal to hunt with a rifle in Iowa, so YMMV.

I don’t think so.

I’m guessing if I go search faux news for editorials I’m going to find one about how much the slaves owe to guns right now.

The cool thing is these kids have 'em running scared now, or else these people wouldn’t feel the need to come out of the wood work.

I didn’t realize we had a minor Twitter celebrity in P&R.

https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/978378603221127169

https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/978381476222980096

https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/978383082632904705

Nobody is talking about removing all the guns. Just some of the most egregious ones, and it’d be the same for everyone. Seems like that’d be just fine with Frederick and Harriet.

And I’ve never needed a gun to protect myself. Not ever. Not even close.

I agree with roughly 1/2 of the kid’s agenda. That said, I’ve been very impressed by their organizational skills and the eloquence of the leaders. The got same reasonable legislation passed in Florida, that’s no easy feat.

That’s a total load of crap and doesn’t apply today. Personal weapons back in the civil war could have given parity with Southern Law Goons. Gun control laws in Jim Crow era were based on skin color and still there was a bit of parity. Now the police drive APC’s, have bullet proof vests, have heavy weaponry, night vision goggles, helicopters, but worse they shoot black people whether they’re holding a gun or a cellphone. It’s a militarized police force with instant communication and army gear. Not some redneck hicks from Alabama.

The height of Jim Crow where they put their foot down on African Americans was between 1900-1930, but continued and weakened thru 1960. During its prime think of the Andy Griffith Show, their kit, the car they drove, then dial it back. While having a gun could have offered some defense against an out of control officer back then, it won’t do a damn thing for you against a racist police force now - it just gets you killed faster.

Gun Control is going to SAVE lives because the police can’t keep making the claim at the pace they do of “we thought it was a gun”. The rampant sale of guns across the board has given racist police and crazy idiots on the force more reason than ever to kill first and ask questions later. There has been no reason whatsoever for the massive uptick in unarmed killing of innocent lives or minor infractions outside of the “he might have a gun” argument. Since violent crime has decreased since the 1980’s, then so should officer involved shootings of innocent people, but instead they’ve gone up.

And I’m sure MLK would be calling for gun reform and gun control laws as well - since having a gun (or a damn cellphone) doesn’t do anything for the common citizen against rogue agents. It’s kinda why there’s this movement called “Black Lives Matter”. I’m sure MLK would be behind that movement, not “more guns more guns!”

“Hey the police shot first and I’m innocent”, does not give you the leniency to shoot back. You just end up dead along with those around you. I’m kinda pissed because I hate intellectual dishonesty, and it is the epitome of that to suggest these dead people would hold their exact same standpoint now in light of where the digital age has brought us. In short - I highly, HIGHLY doubt they would. Just like those who signed the Constitution would be aghast at how the NRA and 2nd amendment lobbies have twisted their words to construe something they never could have foreseen and never would have wanted to happen.

Guns for personal protection and hunting? Yes for qualified people, with extensive training, a license that must be renewed for each gun each year just like your car. But seeing how most of the people stocking guns are disturbed, and those who claim they were stockpiling up for a rogue government… well where are they? Why haven’t they brought out their guns to bring back Democracy? Taken out Trump. There are states in this country which have totally destroyed democracy by gerrymandering. Where the majority vote doesn’t give them them representation, sometimes the majority get practically no representation at all.

Why haven’t they held up those state capitals to demand a return of fair voting, representation, and ultimately Democracy? Oh yea right… it’s the bad guys who hate Democracy who are crying loudest about GUNS GUNS GUNS.

https://rantt.com/the-top-10-most-gerrymandered-states-in-america-bd962843ba1f

Your statements on Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman stances was bull and I’ll say it again - intellectually dishonest. I expect more nuance from people here.

“you’re on the side of Bull Connor, not MLK” make me barf.

Seriously dude - are you that blind you forgot MLK died before the 1980’s? When drug and handgun violence fueled the NRA’s anti-black agenda? “Arm yourself against the scary colored people”. And it evolved to what I just mentioned earlier? To think you’d warp MLK’s message to a “moar guns”, when every one of us knows he’d be trying to get everyone to give up their weapons to save lives. Both black-on-black violence in the streets of Chicago and those at the hands of police. He was about peace and saving lives, not an arms race.

Quoting guys from the Federalist is a good way to prove to someone you aren’t worth listening to.

Conservatives and libertarians mock them non-stop for their rampant stupidity.

I guess you guys forgot that @klaatu is even more of an unstable hate fueled right wing nutjob than your beloved Malathor when you decided to take his drop in “commentary” here as an attempt at rational debate in good terms. This is the guy who was reveling in watching the libcucks writhe and moan in the post election threads because our pain was the greatest thing about Trump’s election. Don’t bother.

AKA, in which Armando is stuck on mobile and accidentally reads one of his posts while bereft of arrendek’s excellent functioning ignore mode hack.

I only remembered @Klaatu from a few gaming threads where we had shared interest: Motorsport Manager, Railway Empire.

I was so disappointed to see him be so… awful. I’m sad and frustrated as you could see :(

Interesting to see how desperate the right wing is getting about this. Their usual “good guy with a gun” and other arguments aren’t really working this time, so we’re seeing even more ridiculous suggestions, like the one above that basically says gun control = racism.

The other one I’m seeing that I think will spread is that Nazis rose to power in Germany only because of gun control. So basically, if you want gun control, you want to usher in a new era of Nazi dominance.

Pretty amazing.

While also tacitly admitting that America is one step away from Nazism, I guess? That’s an odd take on American exceptionalism, to be sure.

Well yeah, it doesn’t make any actual sense. The right is just flailing around trying to find a message that will stick in this new reality, and hasn’t found it yet.

I feel really bad for these kids, who are just going through the ringer with the insane-o-right and Russian bots. Yesterday some politician even called out Emma Gonzalez for wearing a Cuban flag on her jacket at the rally.

Edit: turns out the “some politician” was Steve King, which I guess I should have guessed. Worst. Person. Ever.

It’s no coincidence that the last name of the kid most targeted by these fuckwits is Gonzalez. Disgusting. I can’t believe that anyone that considers themselves to be a good person would still be an NRA or GOP member at this point.

I’m sure we all can agree that we’d rather see a teen accidentally shoot their friend from a deer blind or unintentionally kill their sibling after finding their parents’ rifle under the bed than turn a gun on their classmates. We’re calling on law enforcement to kill more African Americans during traffic stops and more people with mental health issues to use guns for suicide—the kinds of gun deaths that we as Americans can live with.”

The right-wing is just pure scum.