Mario. With Style

I guess they call them “exploits” instead of bugs since you can’t change them.

But that’s an “exploitable cheat?” Well, I guess. It’s also a bug. A pretty bad one too.

pretty bad? Not really. To get it to happen, you have to kill a guy in a very specific place, then you have to wait until he comes back to life, then you have to follow him to the gap in the world and succesfully jump on him at just the right time to reach an area that’s within game-world bounds anyway. If you could use it to jump into an area out of world bounds where all the tiles turned into random garbage, that’d be pretty bad.

Almost all exploits, unless they’re cheat codes, are bugs.

My own personal interpretation of the two terms (with a finished game)
bug: a hole in behavior that’s intended to be there, but isn’t. In the case of a bunch of enemies milling around in a pit below you, not shooting at you - do they have the ability to shoot up? If they do and they’re not, it’s a bug. If not, you shooting down at them unhindered is an exploit.

exploit: using a hole in the game’s behavior to your advantage (see above)

What’s going to be really interesting is when these kinds of things start showing up in online console titles.

Rocket jumping wasn’t really a technical exploit, more like a balance problem. Explosion knockback on the person who fired the rocket was by design, not an unfortunate consequence of a programming decision.

Strafe running was taking advantage of the Quake code, as was strafe jumping in Q2/Q3.

Which is why they should require you to have a hard-drive or memory card so you can patch the game.

Which is why they should require you to have a hard-drive or memory card so you can patch the game.[/quote]
Oo and then I can hack the hard drive or memory card and patch the game myself!

Exactly. Aren’t you glad I suggested it?

Now, if you don’t mind, I’m busy mailing the idea to myself so that when Sony copies it, I can be a joint-partner in the lawsuit against them when Microsoft decides to sue. Yeah, eat that, you Japanese loosers*. Americans all the way. Booyah.

[size=2]* Yes, this was intentional. The Japanese are rather loose. Just not with their money.[/size]

i love games with ‘exploits’ like this. especially multiplayer games since it adds so much more skill depth to the game. i am a big quake player though, so i’ve come to appreciate these exploits as each quake level usually has at minimum a few tricks, and quake itself has many exploits. there are even a few that were in the original doom(mostly strafing stuff) that still seem to show up in all id engine games thus far. however, i do have a problem when knowledge of these exploits isn’t shared in a multiplayer environment.

did anyone find the links to the other movies?

Does that mean in a game where enemies can only shoot while standing, and you duck and shoot them, you are exploiting the game?

Sure, here are some:
Ikagura:
http://web.utk.edu/~jeppers1/Ikaruga-stage6.avi
RockMan (AKA Megaman):
http://web.utk.edu/~jeppers1/ROCKMAN_avi_test.avi
MarioKart:
http://web.utk.edu/~jeppers1/MarioKart-flowercup.mpeg

And the most amazing I’ve found:
Tetris:
http://unix.rulez.org/~calver/video/tetris_japan_finals.mpeg

Now, if the mario guy is just exploiting bugs or cheats, I don’t know what the Tetris guy is doing. Maybe he’s high on speed.

Does that mean in a game where enemies can only shoot while standing, and you duck and shoot them, you are exploiting the game?

Can they shoot up and down while they’re standing?
Can they only shoot when they’re standing, or when their target is standing?
Are they supposed to be able to shoot you when you’re ducking? As per my personal definitions, if they are and they’re not - it’s a bug

I’d say this one would definitely fall under the column “bug”.

[quote=“Matthew_Gallant”]

I’d say this one would definitely fall under the column “bug”.[/quote]
Yeah, that’s definitely a bug. Exploits are things like being able to jump off the Rainbow Road track (Mario Kart 64), fall off the track into space, and land on a different section near the finish. I’ve only seen it done a couple of times; we were never able to reproduce it consistently. It wasn’t so much a map hole as exploiting the 3D track geometry.

• Alan

I’m really enjoying these videos! Keep em coming!

Is there a website database of all the craziness?

They’re all over the place, but the sites are almost always for individual games the site is devoted to, if you search for Japanese independent shooters, then they almost always have a replay function that allows videos to be able to be submitted to the net. Underdogs is a good place to start for that, they have a good selection of Japanese freeware shooters there so you should be able to find the websites pretty easily.

If you tell me what games you’re looking for, I’ll come back with whatever I can find.

Another good way of finding them is search for Famitsu PRIDE, you’ll find more I imagine if you can type it in Japanese. Anyone who has Japanese support for their computer, copy this into Google and it should lead you to lots of these types of videos:

ファミ通PRIDE

PRIDE is the section of Famitsu that deals with this kind of record-breaking, exploiting, super skill stuff on a weekly basis and most likely the section that published the DVD from which these videos stemmed. Be careful you don’t get the wrestling league though, Famitsu only spoofs them! ;) Though you can also find DVD, CDs or tapes included with Japanese strategy guides, so if you’re interested in really learning how to do this stuff, you can check those out. I’m sure there are places that carry them on the 'net and eBay is a haven for them. Most recently, Ikaruga, Maximo, Final Fantasy XI, Devil May Cry, Guilty Gear XX and Metal Gear Solid 2 have had the entire games mapped out with these types of techniques on DVD.

BTW, I hold the record for time trials on PRIDE for Dragon Quest IV. I can get past the first four chapters in one hour and nine minutes. :)

-Fox

Greetings:
Interesting videos, but I’d swear the Tetris one is time-accelerated.

The “piece-slide” maneuver can’t be executed with the drop function, but you never see the piece dropping.

The hands clearly jump frames if you look at them.

I think you can also hear applause in the background that’s getting truncated.

I guess I should add this to my geek rating, but back in college, playing on the Mac, playing Tetris was literally an endurance test, since every situation could be recovered from. I think my longest stretch was about six hours.

Michael.

Also, you can see the lower right corner of the other Tetris monitor, and you can tell from the refresh lines that it has been slightly accelerated.

thanks for that.

i’m not looking for specific games as such; i’m just interested in this sort of thing (how people get around games using bugs or exploits).

are there any gamecube videos like that?

I’m really curious to see the ikagura clip