Mars: War Logs

Dune and the Deathstalker series gave nice explanations why bladed combat might still be viable in futuristic settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhYJgDdCu4

I’ts also on Playstation Network, not just XBLA and Steam.

Yeah, I take my cue from movies :)

I like the game. It have a strong Kotor vibe to it… with crude brown textures. Before starting a talk with a NPC I seed the area with mines, haha… make me happy to be able to do that again in a RPG :D

It is somewhat weird I suppose, but the game seems pretty low tech in general. The main ranged weapon seems to be a militarized nail gun after all.

My guess is that after the people arrived on Mars, “Something” happened that caused them to lose access to the level of technology that allowed them get to, and colonize Mars. Technology became almost a religion, with only officers of that religion (technomancers) really knowing anything about how things actually worked. Kind of like the brotherhood of steel in fallout.

This isn’t totally supported by my time in the game and is just my guess based on clues though, so it could be totally wrong.

In any event, ranged weapons are pretty nice in Mars, but you just don’t ever have the ammo to use them primarily. It is possible that if you get the traits that give you more loot and focus on the renegade tree, this is different, but for me, it might take 3-4 nails to kill a human but even if i’m lucky, he only drops one and they are expensive to make.

At the moment a melee character using technomancer powers for support seems like the best choice. The technomancer melee damage buff is extremely good, doing better damage than anything else i’ve seen even without any other melee skills. The shield doesn’t do much for survivability, but the damage it does to attacks is nice.

I just need some way to deal with mobs of nailgun users. I’m hoping getting the skill which lets me parry projectiles will help, but now as technomancer, my shield does absolutely nothing to protect me against them and i instead use line of sight and targeting anyone with a gun first (you seem to do extra damage to someone using a gun compared to someone using a melee weapon).

I also advise taking the +bomb traits if you can. So far, bombs seem like the best way to deal with groups BY FAR and they are relatively cheap to make.

I picked this up for some unknown reason, I’m only 30 minutes and the game has been watching a terribly written story with a character who suffers from violent mood swings (switching between the different “good”, “indifferent” and “bad” dialogue options is a bit rough). Still I’m eager to see how the game plays out, dig into the upgrade trees and stuff.

My favourite line so far: “[if you escape the prison] the problem is as soon as the sun rises, you’re toast…literally”. Though the jokes on me if later on there is a cut scene which shows the deserts of Mars littered with toast.

My favorite campy moment was the stare off between the main character and a bad guy at the very start of the game.

I trought the game was broken for about 10 minutes, tryiing to figure out if I missed some wav files.

NOTE:
I finished the game. Cheating on the end, because I was stuck on a crappy boss I wanted to skip.

This feels like a episode of somebody else big story. Has elements from kotor, but also from warhammer. There are better games than this. Like… theres a billion times more game in Two Worlds 2. But I like this one for what it is, a small cheap rpg.

Apologies for bumping an old thread, didn’t want to create a new one - it seems the game received an english rewrite/new VO since release, along with various engine fixes that enable higher FoV and camera distance (both via config files, not ingame menus). I grabbed the game when it was on sale on Steam a few days ago and have since finished it - one of the more enjoyable RPGs I’ve played lately. I especially enjoyed the combat which was fast, tactical and very responsive. Story was good enough to keep me going and had interesting characters, the highlight being Roy himself who had this 80s/90s action movie hero vibe about him that made him stand out. Overall, a very well executed budget title which reminded me of early 2000s games like Kotor and Escape from Butchers Bay.

… with a sequel:

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2015-21-01-bound-by-flame-developer-announces-sci-fi-fantasy-rpg-technomancer

With the announcement of the sequel, I started playing this game (Its like <$4 right now on sale). Its actually not horrible and once you get to act 2 and understand the crafting a bit better, its fun!

It’s a fun game, yes. It’s flawed and all, but it is fun and it has heart, and that makes up for the lack of budget, in a way.

And I finished it, I dunno why but I really enjoyed this,even if nothing was really amazing. Overall for a budget game it was very solid. I went with the resistance option and I did not expect to start act 3 like I did. Also the ending was not at all like I expected. Overall I am excited to see what they are able to do with a decent budget in next years Technomancer.

Well, I hope they go back to whatever it was that made Mars: War Logs good, because Bound by Flame was mostly panned by fans and critics alike, and it had a higher budget. We’ll see.

This looks interesting. Where is it on sale, lordkosc?

Bundle Stars! It’s on sale for the next 10 hours.

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/mars-war-logs/

Sweet, thanks!

Technomancer alpha-ish gameplay video:

It looks like a great Star Wars game on Mars! :D