Marvel 1602

I just orderd this to get free shipping on a book I was getting for my girlfriend. I guess I should have asked this first, but is it any good?

According to my Comic Book Guy, it’s good if you’re a Gaiman nut or a Marvel nut, otherwise it’s a bit meh.

That sounds interesting to say the least.

It was way too self-referential for me. I thought Moore’s LXG did a much better job of period superheroes.

Tom Sawyer isn’t a superhero. LXG = retardo.

I’ve never read anything by Gaiman, and I’m not a comic nut of any variety, but I do like Marvel’s heroes, so I guess we’ll just see!

Tom Sawyer isn’t a superhero. LXG = retardo.[/quote]

Tom Sawyer wasn’t in the books, which were quite good.

Tom Sawyer isn’t a superhero. LXG = retardo.[/quote]

Tom Sawyer wasn’t in the books, which were quite good.[/quote]

Ok, well Dr. Jekyl isn’t a superhero either. I only saw the shitty movie, but I just think it’s a dumb concept too, so I won’t be reading the comics.

I meant the books. This is the book forum, remember? Wouldn’t it have been slightly weirder if I was talking about the movie? And referring to Alan Moore, rather than Stephen Norrington?

Anyway. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Graphic Novels are superior to Marvel 1602.

Also: how is a witty, literate modernist take on classic fictional characters dumber than Nick Fury in the 15th century?

How is it not?

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the comics, are quite good. I guess if the concept just instantly turns you off, you might not like them, though. Mr Hyde isn’t a superhero, but only because he eats people. He is certainly strong enough to be a superhero, at least in the comic (haven’t read the real novel). The character was the original inspiration for The Hulk, so why can’t he be a star in his own comic?

Well for one thing, it’s a complete bastardization of the source material, and he’s not a hulking monstrosity, he’s just a psychopath. He’s actually smaller than Jekyl.

Moore addresses that extremely well:

“What the silly bastard Jekyll did, he thought if he quarantined all these bad parts of himself, what was left would be an angel. When I started out, good god, I was practically a fucking dwarf. Jekyll, on the other hand, a great big strapping fellow. Since then, though, my growth’s been unrestricted, while he’s wasted away to nothing. Obvious, really. Without me, you see, Jekyll has no drives… and without him, I have no restraints.”

You’re an idiot not to read the comics. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is the best thing to ever hit the comic world for anyone who is even semi-literate. It’s not a bastardization of the source material at all. It’s not a superhero comic.

Just had to change it.

That’s extremely well? It doesn’t seem to address it at all, actually. He just kind of says “hey yeah… I bet you’re wondering why I’m twelve feet tall. Well, turns out it’s because I… grew.” Awesome.

You’re an idiot not to read the comics. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is the best thing to ever hit the comic world for anyone who is even semi-literate. It’s not a bastardization of the source material at all. It’s not a superhero comic.

Well, how close to the premise of the comic is the premise of the movie? It’s still about a bunch of characters from different books banding together for no real reason to try to stop World War I from happening, right?

No. But it’s still about a bunch of characters from different books to try to do something, so you may not like it. That said, I think they’re pretty great.

Let me put it this way: it’s so completely different from the comic, that I’m having trouble thinking of another movie that so completely deviates from its original source material.

That’s extremely well? It doesn’t seem to address it at all, actually. He just kind of says “hey yeah… I bet you’re wondering why I’m twelve feet tall. Well, turns out it’s because I… grew.” Awesome.[/quote]

You’ve certainly managed to convince yourself that you hate something you’ve never actually experienced…

I, Robot?

That’s extremely well? It doesn’t seem to address it at all, actually. He just kind of says “hey yeah… I bet you’re wondering why I’m twelve feet tall. Well, turns out it’s because I… grew.” Awesome.[/quote]

You’ve certainly managed to convince yourself that you hate something you’ve never actually experienced…[/quote]

Well, I just don’t like the premise, and that turd of a movie left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don’t think I’ll be able to seperate the two, no matter how different you guys say they are.

I’d be willing to try one of his others, I guess. What is Watchmen about?