Marvel 1602

You’re making my head esplode…

I, Robot?[/quote]

Oo, nice one. I managed to completely forget about that monstrosity. But I don’t know… even with the awfulness of I, Robot, it’s still a toss up as to which adapation is worse…

Watchmen is a totalkunstwerk, or at least as close to one as a comic is ever liable to get. It’s about heroes, people, life, existence, death and hyperbole aside it is pretty damn good, and pretty hard to sum up.

Why are you even posting in a comics thread if you don’t know what Watchmen is about? Do you like comics?

Man, the animosity in this place over the last few days is just staggering. And all directed towards me, evidently :/.

That came out meaner than I intended. But I think a lot of people consider Watchmen one of the few real “must-reads” of comics. Since you apparently haven’t even heard of it, it just seems strange that you would be interested in discussing Marvel 1602 or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the “LXG” thing was coined for the movie).

I didn’t say I’d never heard of it. I’ve heard of it many times, because people constantly say “OMG WATHCMUN!” in every comic thread. Doesn’t mean I know what it’s about though.

Fair enough. But it does mean that you should read it. It’s not animosity that you are sensing–these folks are trying to do you a favor. Really.

Fair enough. But it does mean that you should read it. It’s not animosity that you are sensing–these folks are trying to do you a favor. Really.[/quote]

And think how much less guff you’ll have to take once you have your geek creds in proper order.

I prefer Astro City to watchmen… I think the “Confession” and “Tarnished Angel” storylines in Astro City are my favorite comic book story arcs of all time. Having said that anyone who has even passing interest in comics should read Watchmen. Another good example of Alan Moore’s work is Top 10, which I think is on a similar level of greatness as Watchmen.

Back to 1602 for a moment, I’m a big Marvel nut and a Gaiman fan, and I thought 1602 was stone-dead boring. Anyone thinking about reading it should probably pass and just pick up one of Gaiman’s older works or just go straight to the Alan Moore bandwagon express.

But the Amazon user reviews are glowing. Glowing!

What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and then returning to eat maximum crow.

I’m not going to read LXXXXXXXXXXXG until they start adding in characters from Street Fighter.

The thing with Moore is that every time I think he can’t get any better, he always does. There’s a scene in the second League volume that involves… well, for the sake of extarbags who may wake up one day and suddenly decide to read it, let’s just say it involves Hyde, the Invisible Man and a dinner table. Everybody who’s read it knows what I’m talking about. It’s as if Moore sat down and thought to himself: “Well, let’s see them make a movie out of that.”

While the absolute greatness that is the Watchmen is pretty well established, let me chime in here for a moment to mention what is in danger of becoming the most overlooked of Moore’s work: his incredible run on Swamp Thing. Aside from being the origins of what would later become the Vertigo imprint, Swamp Thing tosses off more good ideas than most writers have in a lifetime. And while the comics geek in me really gets off on the way Moore incorporated all of these (at the time) forgotten characters into a working, seeimingly consistent universe, the real joy of Swamp Thing is watching Moore’s willingness to take an idea as far as it can possibly go. Swamp Thing still has some of my favourite single comic issues ever, especially the infamous “vegetable sex” issue and the wonderful take-off on Pogo. Plus, Swampy gets to kick the shit out of Batman.

If there’s any Vertigo readers who jumped on board with Neil Gaiman’s Sandman, you owe it to yourself to read Moore’s Swamp Thing, along with Grant Morrison’s equally fantastic run on Animal Man.

Is there a graphic novel that captures the whole good run of Swamp thing work? I dont want regualr swamp thing at all and I refuse to buy single comics because they are a stupid idea at this point in time and I hate shitty paper and I read fast so they dont last more than a few minutes.

The entire(*) Moore Swamp Thing run has been collected in 5 or 6 reprint volumes from Vertigo. The first two volumes are (IMHO) the best, although other volumes have plenty of good stuff, including John Constantine’s first ever appearance in v.3. They’ve also come out with one volume (so far) of Rick Veitch’s following run, which I thought very nearly as good.

(* Moore’s very first issue, #20 “Loose Ends”, wrapped up a lot of threads that the previous writer (Marty Pasko?) had left, moved a bunch of the then-current supporting characters offstage, and finished off by ‘killing’ Swamp Thing at the end of the issue. It’s never been reprinted, which is a bit of a shame, as several later issues in Moore’s run refer back to it in various ways.)

Don’t you have a virtual pooch that need a walk and some clean water?
It appears reading is too taxing.

Perhaps the graphic novels of Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing work?

Does no-one know how to use Google or Amazon anymore?

Anyone who says “you’re an idiot not to read/watch/listen to X” is an idiot.

For the record, I, like everyone else, think Alan Moore is brilliant.

By the way, anyone on this thread who hasn’t seen at least one film by Yasujiro Ozu, is an idiot.