Marvel Comics MMORPG on the way?

Maybe the whole MU has 4700 characters, but there can’t be more than 100 big-name ones that MMOGers would be interested in playing. Your chracter selection would probably end up something like you get in the average box of Marvel HeroClix – Hydra Medic, Shield Agent, Toad, Henchman…

Where are the people who wrote that blurb? Steve are you out there? What are the details on this? Is it for real, or is it just a theory right now?

heh, that alternate universe stuff actually sounds pretty cool…i think that means it won’t happen :)

btw: here’s the meta-human that kicked dr doom’s ass that i want to see come to be the most renown super:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/sqlgrl.htm[/quote]

I would so play her.

err.

I mean play as her.

no
erm
wait…

Dibs on madcap

http://www.geocities.com/marvel_villain/madcap/madcap.html

Wow, imagine the potential profits on selling your account on ebay. Buy ten copies on opening day, suck up the good characters, ebay your account. Instant bucks.

For everyone writing that they can’t imagine the appeal of playing in a Marvel universed MMO because your avatar will never be one of the storied heroes, how do you about Turbine’s Lord of the Rings MMO game? Is Middle-earth itself a large enough draw to overcome never being allowed to join the Fellowship or play a pivotal role in the War of the Ring?

The War of the Ring is large-scale; there’s enough intermediate positions in the armies of all sides to keep it interesting. The Marvel Universe, on the other hand, focuses on individual or small-group confrontations between heroes. Everyone else is just a redshirt. Doesn’t sound like playing “Guy that gets hit by thrown car” would be a lot of fun.

You know, now that I think about it, getting 3 or 4 people together and playing as Damage, Inc. sounds like a lot of fun.

This is already done on every other MMOG that ever launches, so why would this be very different? :P

Obviously because in MMORPGs without named characters you are selling “Dorktaculus lvl 23 Barbarian” instead of “Wolverine”.

You know what they should do? Let you play villains that you custom create. The 4,700 Marvel heroes could be the mobs you play against.

I’d totally buy that game. Of course, then you’d just have everyone wanting to play as Dr. Doom or Venom, but you could set it in a universe where they’ve all the other villains are retired, imprisoned, or dead.