Marvel Heroes is getting the equivalent of a comics universe reboot

Can someone with experience tell me the best way to get a new hero that doesn’t involve real money?

I resolved my password problems through the support desk, but on signing in I was reminded that this feels like a game where my enjoyment is tied directly to the hero I have to play and as I got The Thing I don’t really enjoy it at all.

I’d love to switch to almost any other hero, (no, not you Squirrel Girl), but that seems to require 200-600 moon units and I only have 9 moon units.

I’m already at level 20 from a few years ago and so I’m not sure what the best way is to get the specific one required of the nine in game currencies?

The primary complaint is that the powers were dumbed down for a future console release. I used to have three power bars. Primary and an alt controlled secondary. The tertiary bar was for toggle powers. Now there is one and only one bar. I don’t like it. Still fucking around with inventory for the most part. I’m thinking that this is the beginning of the end for me.

You can now play any hero (except possibly the latest released) to a level cap of 10. But to fully unlock them, you earn Eternity Splinters (which are the relevant currency) at a rate of roughly 1 / 8 minutes played as long as you’re in zones that earn you exp. You also get big ES bumps from, I think, completing the story the first time and having logged in X number of days where X is a value I don’t remember. Unless you want a specific hero you are better off buying random hero boxes at I think 130-odd ES instead of paying for individual heroes at 200-600. You -can- get heroes you’ve already unlocked that way (you get an ultimate upgrade token for that character if that happens), but you’re statistically more likely to get a new hero until you’ve built up a decent sized stable. Make sure to keep an eye on the official website and their newsletter as occasionally they give out hero unlocks or random hero boxes or similar for logging in on a given day and/or ongoing events may give login boxes with ES drops as part of their contents. In particular, you’ve missed their latest anniversary, but they have done a big anniversary celebration every year that rewards a ton of goodies including a ticket to unlock the hero of your choice. They also cross promote with Marvel Cinematic Universe stuff.

Thank you!

How do I play the heroes to level 10? When I look at “roster” in game and try to pick anyone there it immediately asks if I want to buy them with dollars or spangledoops.

Maybe that changed back again, then? I dunno, I’m not the best person to ask because I own all the heroes.

As far as I know you just hit T in game and select any hero. If you own them you play normally. If you don’t you start playing normally but can’t go above level 10. I haven’t tried doing anything with unowned heroes since the update though.

I love the idea of the update. Yet I still find my interest waning a little when I think about having to regear now and then again when uniques go away for the Omega gear.

Ah, that makes sense about a future console version. It has gamepad support now, which feels a bit odd. I went right back to mouse and keyboard.

As for the power bars, you’re right! I see that there are different character “loadouts”. Each character gets two and you can spend spangledoops (thanks for reminding me of the technical term, Mr. Bismarck!) to get more. Can you freely toggle among these in the field? Would those work as de facto power bars?

As for the latest “play any character to level 10”, I wasn’t aware they had done that. That sucks. It used to be you could choose one of six characters and just play him/her to your hearts content, slowly unlocking new characters as you go.

Capping everyone at level 10 feels much more predatory. “Hey, get attached to this character and then we’ll take away any sense of progression and hold it for ransom!” Am I misreading how it works? Because this no longer makes Marvel Heroes the least odious free-to-play game I’ve seen.

-Tom

That depends. Are you just playing the game? Or do you work for Gaz? :)

You still get a free starting character, it’s just that you can try all of them up until level 10 before you decide on which character. And I think the selection is now “any hero in the game except maybe the latest one”, not just a limited set of starter heroes. But since my account is years old now I can’t say for sure.

And the alternative is the possibility of dropping some cash (or 10-20 hours worth of spacebucks) for a hero you might not like. Letting players have a taste of each hero to find one that clicks seems like a positive move.

Ah, so you can level up your choice of starting character to the level cap without ever having to pay a nickel? Is that still the case? It’s just that now you can choose pretty much any character instead of one of the Second Fiddle Six that were previously designated?

In which case, I’m reverting to my claim that it’s the least odious free-to-play game I’ve seen!

-Tom

That’s my understanding. Like I say, I haven’t been a new player in ages so I haven’t seen it in action for myself.

Wow, that is super generous! When I left, you could pick only amongst a selection of characters, usually picked from the ones featured in Marvel Movie of the Month - and that felt pretty generous compared to the initial offer already.

Yep as a free to play game it is superb. I have about 30 Characters and a few loot stashes and since it came out spent about £10 which is a bargain.

If you can get your head round the inventory system and just bin crap rather than hoard it you are fine. Every now and then I go through and bin stuff.

A big space use for me is chests, I have loads that I think I will wait till I get higher level and then never open as you seem to get gear at a decent pace as it is.

Took me some time to get used to the gamepad, and targeting can still be peculiar but it’s working pretty good for me now except inventory.

they just loosened up the eternity splinter earning, not sure if permanent thing or event related though. You basically get 1 drop every 8 minutes or something, but now it’s a fairly decent chance of getting more than 1 splinter per drop. I’ve had 2-5 so far fairly frequently.