Marvel Heroes

Ah yes, I just got an email from Trion saying my account would be converted over and I was trying to remember what I played that was theirs.

Ah, it was in my spam folder. They don’t have any game that I want to claim a reward for. Oh well.

Are any of these trion games any good?

The minecrafty one is supposed to be pretty neat. Expect all of them to be infested with P2W though.

I played Rift for a while. It was fun until it wasn’t. :)

Rift was perfectly competent and I never found a reason to actually play it over a bunch of other MMOs that were that - and - had interesting worlds and story and whatnot.

Just started playing Defiance 2050 on Xbox and it’s not bad, for a free online shooter/rpg.

I liked Rift’s character progression mechanics with multiple classing, they were unique. They also had enemy encounters that pathed around the map and could take over outposts, killing questgivers until players took them back. It was innovative for its time, and in many aspects even today, but the gameplay was a poor WoW clone, and they patched in all kinds of P2W later on.

I enjoyed Atlas Reactor for a while. Eventually got bored that there was only one game mode and the first few turns played out the same way every time.

Agreed, it was very much a straight-up WoW clone.

Yeah, the way they handled multiclassing was really cool, and a few of the rift-related mechanics did things that haven’t been copied in public quest analogues across all of MMOdom, but that’s just not enough for me to stick around.

I enjoy Trove. No money required.

Defiance is fun if you just want to shoot a bunch of stuff in the face with a lot of different types of shooty weapons. No money required there, either.

Rift started out with a great character system, the rift mechanics were cool, and some very interesting dungeon and raid encounters, as good or better than what WoW had at the time. Dunno how they stack up now. Its definitely gotten mercenary in its monetization to a degree not matched by any of their other home-grown properties. Money looks like it might required now.

And, stusser et al, I’d argue it was an EQ2 clone more than WoW, especially since that’s where a lot of the team came from ;)

The thing I liked about early Rift was that when you went to fight a rift, you ended up working with everyone and essentially were in a group. Then when you won, you all got a reward.

Rift was great in a lot of ways. The way they handled classes was the best in any MMO in my opinion. I also enjoyed the PvP for a while. The thing that killed Rift for me, was the butt ugly character/armor/weapon design. I’m not sure you could have made that stuff uglier if you set out to do it.

Yeah, this was (as far as I know) originally pioneered in Warhammer Online, as “Public Quests”, but subsequent games, not least Rift, have done more with them. I think Guild Wars 2 ended up with the best implementation because in GW2 there’s all sorts of public-friendly events, many of which chain and have direct impact on the game world (at least for a little while).