Marvel Heroes

I’m still playing. I’m going endgame stuff with my Jean Grey and really digging it.

Mazuo, I agree with you that the game feels greedy. I can live with the business model, but the pricing is really galling. As for your observation about early Hawkeye, I get the sense that this is a lot like other MMOs and action RPGs, where you don’t really get a feel for a character until you get about halfway into the skill tree. In Marvel Heroes, I would say this is about level 20. Furthermore, given the complete lack of even a token death penalty, there’s not much challenge until the endgame, when you’re doing the group challenges and survival challenges. I like these quite a bit. The survival challenges are a real hoot and I’d say they offer some of the best gameplay you’ll find in Marvel Heroes. It’s crazy running around with a pack of twenty or so characters at high enough level to be spewing out a wide variety of upper- to mid-level attacks. And the group challenges are really cool for giving you a limited number of lives. I finished one yesterday fighting Sabertooth with only a three lives among us. We got down to one life left by the time we beat him. It was certainly one of the more hair-raising boss battles I’ve had because, as the glass cannon, I was pretty sure I was going to be the one to burn out last life.

They added clans in the last patch, but I don’t have the 10,001 (yep, 10,001) spacebucks to start one up. Besides, I don’t think many of us are playing. But if anyone wants to add “tomchick” to their friends list, I have a characters at several different levels, and I’d be happy to help with bosses and whatnot.

-Tom

Has anyone seen any heroes drop since they upped the droprates? I really want to try out some other heroes but am too cheap to purchase them, I’m afraid.

I got a Wolverine costume as a drop. This:

It looks like, uh, something someone would wear to a gay bar. But no, no characters. You do, however, get a third free character at the end of the storyline. I got The Thing. Great. One of the free characters. Who I didn’t want anyway. The frickin’ Thing.

-Tom

I just read the main-page review and I’m surprised that the Tom Chick who has no problem using the whole review scale gave a game this flawed 4 stars. I understand it’s not awful or anything, but you listed a lot of issues and even said the game “feels half-baked”. I’d have thought 3/5 or even 2/5 would have been more appropriate to balance the good with the bad. Disclaimer: I haven’t played the game, I’m just going off the text of the review.

All the stars mean is that I really like the game. It’s literally that simple. :)

-Tom

Was it a fun game?

I just started playing yesterday, and got Scarlet Witch in the reward box for the prologue.

The game is very sharp, and plays well enough, but it’s just not grabbing me. I got to level 4, and I’m not sure I’ll bother playing further.

You always get one of the 5 starting characters for completing the prologue and again for finishing the game.

Gah, I didn’t realize that. Lame. I’m bumping my review down to three stars!

-Tom

You have to read the text of the review to find out! :)

-Tom

If you’re lucky you wont get the same starting character both times!

Edit: Guess they fixed the duplicate reward bug:

Fixed a bug where players were getting an unlock token for a Starter Hero that they already had as a mission reward for beating Green Goblin or Doctor Doom. Players will now receive a mystery package which, when opened, will give an unlock token for a Starter Hero that they do not have. Players who have all the Starter Heroes unlocked will get a Fortune Card.

For what it’s worth I’ve played up to level 25 and not had a hero token drop. I had one costume drop, but it was the same one I started the game with.

I’ve had one character drop randomly. It was The Thing. I’m playing as Hulk. Under what circumstances would I want to go from Hulk to The Thing? Bah.

Just got Black Widow as my first hero drop, from one of the bosses in Doom’s Castle.

I started w/ Hawkeye, got the Thing after prologue and bought Captain America. I’m probably about done w/ spending money. I enjoy the game, but honestly, it’s because I like the IP and some of the Easter eggs for long time Marvel fans.

I too started with Hawkeye, got Storm as the prologue reward and Daredevil after finishing the story. I’ve played about 60 hours with special item% on some gear…unequipped it al yesterday for better defence stats and low and behold I fought Magneto and he dropped Black Panther, gotta love rng (and sod’s law).
I know the game has it’s issues, but I’ve been enjoying just running around smashing things up and joining in on the game events with other players.

I’m fuzzyslug if anyone wants to add me to their friends list. Is it true that you need to add them while they are online? One of my buddies and I couldn’t seem to add each other but we weren’t online at the exact same time during the attempt.

I too am really bummed the extra characters are so expensive and the costumes are more expensive than actual clothes. If everything was half price, I probably would have purchased a couple of characters by now.

I’ve played Thing up to level 28, and last night I got my first hero token drop, Cyclops. By all accounts, he’s underpowered, but I’ve always liked the character, so I’m happy.

Nevermind, apparently when the server went down my character was rolled back some and I no longer have the hero I unlocked sigh

That’s okay, you’re Nuclear Winter, one of Freedom Force’s coolest villains! I can still sing his theme song:

Nuclear Winter, o!
Turn your land to snoooooooow!

For the motherland!