Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

I paid full price and no regrets.

Realistically, the game’s done pretty well from what I’ve seen, so I wouldn’t expect it to drop a ton lower than $39.99 on the Xbox anytime soon.

Thanks, I picked it up. Will try it out later.

Well, I was wrong about the success… Maybe now that it’s QT3’s runner-up for best game of 2022.

Bummer, because I like it so much better than the recent XCOMs.

I still recommend it. :)

That was why I wrote what I wrote - One should perhaps pay high price for the things one values, in order to keep getting more of it, and its like.

To be fair, I don’t think it was marketed very well. I asked a gamer friend of mine who is a big Marvel fan if he knew what the game was and he had no clue.

Also, I think the art style isn’t really doing it any favors. It’s not bad looking per se, just not very memorable.

Anyway, looking forward to trying it!

So I just played through the tutorial and first mission. The core gameplay seems pretty good so far, but the art style and animations seem like something out of the Xbox 360 era. Also, it looks like the cutscenes were rendered at a noticeably lower resolution (again, like 360 games). Is this because this game was ported to Switch? Or maybe designed as a mobile game originally?

One of my favorite recent games but this is on point. The ugly gold/black costumes they promote are terrible in my view and certainly don’t showcase what the game really looks like with all the normal costumes.

I personally like the outfits, but they certainly don’t pop and do no favors for marketing; “Oh, hey - it’s a character I’ve learned to enjoy who looks and sounds wrong.” Honestly, a picture of them in their classic gear shifting back and forth with their Midnight Suns gear would have been fine, but animated thumbnails aren’t yet a thing on storefronts.

I don’t think it will have near the long tail that they want it to because of the decisions to release the DLC as they have, no workshop integration, and replayability was not factored into the design. From having a low amount of mission types, environments, and enemy types, win conditions/goals and even having enough cards in any deck besides Hunter to diversify a hero’s playstyle and what they bring to the table.

It’s no ones fault but their own.

I think it desperately needs some sort of more involved procedural mode for replayability. With the right options it could have a very long life

Clearly needed romance options also….

Saw report that Marvel nixed any romance options

So much this! Hunter Deck is fine but the others are much more specialized and smaller. I felt I had unlocked all cards way too quickly for the Characters I used the most. And once I had a card setup that works there never was a need to change up the deck at all.

Yeah, these characters have their own romance stuff already. IE: Romance Spiderman? What about Mary Jane? What about same-sex romances?

No, all that would be problematic.

I won’t tell Marvel if Wolvie doesn’t.

Played a bit more of this the last couple days. It really piles on lot of game systems early on, which I could being a little overwhelming for someone who doesn’t play these kinds of games. Really liking the card stuff so far. I think it might like the combat even more than Fire Emblem.

As for the social stuff, if I had played this ten years ago, I would have hated it. But I’ve come around a bit to this kind of game in recent years and I think it’s done pretty well. I wish there was a way to turn off the Light/Dark symbols by different dialogue choices. Some of the writing is a bit lame, but it’s at least consistent with the Marvel movies.

It would be really cool if they could integrate some of this social mechanics with the next XCOM. It would make it so much more painful when you lose soldiers from a stray RNG bullet.

I apparently have 24 hours of play in, with most of that in the past week or so. Really game-locked on this.

I have to thank Slay the Spire and Witcher 3/Gwent for revising my opinion that cards are a stupid mechanic in video games since they can be abstracted as part of the gameplay instead. The cards were a negative in my interest here, but I’m really loving the mechanics and decisions here. I’d probably love them more if I had the interest and patience to build decks that work well teamed with specific other hero decks, but I’m more a “well, let’s figure this out as we go” gamer.

Graphically it’s just serviceable, but hey, for a card based tbs game, I’m just happy the between mission-stuff isn’t isometric.

I tried my best to find the demo on my Xbox but couldn’t find it. Not gone already I’d hope?

Fairly deep sale price on Steam right now. Quite tempted were it not for the fact that CoH is coming out next week, and Pharaoh just came out, so I’m not going to have much time to play it for a while. I guess it can wait till the summer sale.

40% off on Steam. I knew it sold poorly but this seems kind of desperate.