Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

Magik’s Limbo Portals are permanent until they’re used, right? At which point they disappear. In other words, barring some special passive or synergy, her Limbo Portals are one-shot powers, standing by until you use them and then gone.

So I’m not understanding how Gather is supposed to interact with the Limbo Portal. You’re saying you used the Gather ability, but rather than drop the gathered monsters down into the center of their current area like it normally does, it spit them out horizontally, through her Limbo Portal? All of them?

My Limbo Portals have lasted more than one use. In the combo I mention above I used them at least twice on two separate turns in a row.

Maybe I am misunderstanding how Gather works but I play Gather right on the Portal. They seem to go through the Portal and in the direction that I want them to go. To be honest I thought that Gather had to be used with the Portal when I first saw it. Seemed like the perfect combo to me.

I have never had a portal last more than once. I also have never had Gather interact with a portal. I play Magik all the time.

Magik’s passive gives a % chance that a limbo portal will stay after used. You can only have 1 limbo portal up at a time, it will replace it if you use the card.

Yeah, that’s really puzzling to me as well, @Harkonis. I use Magik a lot and I’ve never seen Limbo Portal or Gather work like geewhiz describes. I wonder if he got some passive equipped that we haven’t seen?

I believe my Magik’s passive is a 10% chance to draw a Limbo Portal when her Limbo Portal is used. Which is more or less what you’re describing.

Passives improve as you get friendship levels.

drawing a portal card (which is also what I thought it was) seems quite different (and better!) from having a portal remain after use. Maybe a higher friendship level also adds a chance for a portal to stay?

Gather’s explanation is bring everyone to the center where you play it correct? So if the center is on a Portal wouldnt that activate the Portal?

I suppose I might have thought that was the way it was working and it simply flung people into the Deadly Ground. Also if Gather doesnt put people through the Portal than it was never used like I thought it was.

I think you might have misinterpreted what you saw, which anyone can do. There’s a ton of activity onscreen, especially during the crazy combos!

The Limbo Portal is only “activated” when Magik does something that causes Knockback. I’m pretty sure it says as much on a tooltip somewhere, but I don’t remember where I saw that. And your Relay is the same passive my Magik got at Friendship Level 2, so I’m guessing that doesn’t vary.

Gather is a great ability, and it does shoot enemies through portals (it might even trigger Magik’s skill card to damage anything she sends through a Limbo Portal?), but I don’t think it connects to her Limbo Portals, which will only accommodate one enemy at a time, as far as I’ve been able to use them.

So, I’m 20ish days/30+ hours into the game at this point. I wanted to specifically address the strategic layer in the abbey. I wasn’t looking forward to this game because of the “live the hero life” aspect, or even because it was an RPG.

I played both Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: Three houses, but quite on both early. I didn’t like the out of combat systems. It all felt like so much busywork. Not only that, but I felt like there was a real disconnect between one part of the day and the next. Why on earth was I doing all this stuff for?

In contrast, I find myself really looking forward to the between-mission parts of Midnight Suns. I’m getting new cards, upgrading them, tweaking decks, buying/earning base upgrades, researching new tech, leveling up characters that have fallen behind (especially if I need them for the next mission), crafting consumables, etc. there’s continual progress being made on a bunch of different fronts.

All of those things directly impact combat effectiveness. Even the club activities award new cards or consumables. And while I think it would be easy to dismiss the friendship systems as superficial, the in-combat benefits are enormous in the long run.

All this to say that, to me, the gameplay loop feels much tighter and better integrated than those games. And while I absolutely love the tactics, I think the game is better for the complementary systems.

I like the Abbey and most of the activities but really do not like running around for ingredients. I was hoping that the dream screen we see each time Hunter wakes up would be an indicator of where the plants/mushrooms had respawned (but no such luck). I run around every few turns to gather stuff for the cauldron etc. I probably do not use the combat cards enough though.

BTW, does anyone have a list of the best Havens per Hero?

I have no idea how respawns work. I can say with certainty that the chests do not respawn on a fixed schedule (that is chests of a specific rarity don’t always come back after x days). I suspect chests have a small chance to respawn each day, perhaps getting incrementally larger each day they don’t.

Plants feel more like they come back in groups, but not sure.

Meet cute

I like the Abbey stuff, too, other than farming mats. Not much I dislike about this game. It’s a delight - even for a superhero movie hator like myself.

Yeah, I am about as far from being a superhero/comics fan as you can get, and I love this thing. I too was worried about the out of combat/Summer House stuff but it turns out that stuff is really fun. I don’t like the foraging for plants any more than anyone else, but it’s not that hard, and you have to explore/go places enough that it doesn’t really impact things too much. You can’t use that many items/potions during a match, and the rest of the stuff you make like essences so far hasn’t been that hard to find normally.

I’m just into the second act or chapter or whatever, with all my heroes around 12-14. So far I’ve wound up, through no plan or intent, as Mr. Light, even though if there was a romance option I’d definitely go for Magik or Nico over Captain Marvel any day of the week (sorry Tom).

I really like the mission/combat design too. I thought I’d be put off by the puzzle aspects, but it’s really more like good tactical problems than finding the “one true way.” When you do puzzle out how to do what you need to do under the constraints you are given, it’s quite satisfying.

And the story is actually fun. I mean, I think it holds together at least as well if not better than most mainstream fantasy malarky.

Plants respawn per area unless you didn’t clear it before. I don’t know about the respawn rate on chests either. I thought they would all be on a separate “tier” timer and they may still be since it’s hard to quantify how long something is on cooldown. But the epic chest in the abbey has never respawned, while the legendary by the Standing Stones has respawned once in my game.

I go harvesting every 3 days or so. It’s been more than enough to keep me up for quests and items from the cauldron. When I opened a new area I would clear everything that night then go back in the morning and clear it and just put it on the schedule.

I never realized that we can run more than one Hero Op. Than again I never had enuff intel to pay for it either until recently. I did it by accident and had a marvelous epihany.

Enuff said!

I like to hear what Abilities everyone is adding to their cards? Any favorites?

I opened two chests at the standing stones back to back. They respawn Ed a couple of days apart. That’s how I can say with confidence they aren’t on a fixed timer. I’ve also seen a blue chest respawn after a couple of days, where others take much longer.

You can’t initially. That’s a research upgrade to run two. There are also upgrades that give you more Intel from caches, and the ability to interrogate hydra soldiers can give more Intel.

There is an upgrade that enables simultaneous runs you must have already built.