Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

LOL yeah I don’t think this one is for you.

Combat is not XCOM but is Slay the Spire meets Into the Breach. Lovely and crunchy once you get into it and especially if you opt into to the higher difficulties.

I almost wish there was a daily puzzle with one super hard combat to figure out every day.

It sounds like folks on Era are super grooving on ot, initial warts and all.

Because the 2K launcher is hot garbage.

So this is puzzle based combat that you “solve”? Thanks for helping me move this into “when it’s free on GamePass” territory!

In the campaign not really, because you have a random deck of cards and draws like in Slay the Spire.

Rather I was thinking you could build a cool puzzle version of this where you have a very specific deck and hand draws, and need to find the one solution.

Similar to StS and ItB you have mostly perfect information at the time you choose your cards, you know this card with do 6 damage or apply some effect. But the cards in your hand are random and the RNG is applied usually at draw time. So unlike XCOM you know you have a ‘crit’ attack in your hand because the card already rolled it.

I put this picture in Spider Man’s room over his bed so that when he’s sleeping it will look like an angel is giving him CPR.

How is that any different from X-Com or any tactical game with abilities? Even in X-Com you want to maximize your damage and minimize the damage you take. It’s definitely a puzzle to pull that off. Watch a guy like Christopher Odd play X-Com and you will see him “puzzling out” the optimal actions, moves and attacks. Here the randomness is in your cards rather than your hit chance.

Only in the sense that being efficient with the resources you have available in a given turn to deal with the threats you are facing is beneficial for a variety of reasons. There are some challenges where I think there’s an optional solution, but those are totally separate from missions

Played the second mission (only got 1 star). From a gameplay perspective, I don’t understand what people are griping about. The randomness of the cards causes me to adapt and the game gives me some tools to mitigate the randomness - redraw. I can choose to save cards for a future round when I think it will be more useful. Choice of attacks and trying to set up some environmental damage. It’s been pretty cool.

Now the dialog hasn’t been anywhere near the Guardians of the Galaxy game and most of the characters aren’t super likeable, but I’m getting into it enough. Looking forward to playing more.

got 3, now I feel like a pro ;)

I got 3 on one mission. 2 on all others but 1. I think most of those 2s needed to end one round sooner to get 3. On heroic 1 difficulty, expecting to wind up at heroic 3 or ult 1, probably.

I am only playing on Normal, I save my try harding until after I know the story. Frustration will taint my enjoyment of the story :)

The difference is that in many of these puzzle-style games, there is usually one optimal solution and build to get there - and in some cases, you also need a lot of RNG luck.

I don’t like that style - I prefer my games to allow for a variety of different approaches and generally be more forgiving. This may make “power gamers” feel everything is too easy, but I like my games fun, not frustrating, and I usually don’t have time to figure something out 10 or 100 times.

Thanks - @Quaro clarified that he was thinking of a super hard challenge puzzle game style involving the same mechanics, and not being reflective of the actual game itself.

I kind of grew up on “Black to win in 6” type of puzzles and really got tired after the 500th one you had to solve in chess class.

Um, I’m trying to imagine a “Big Brother” or “Summer House” thing where everyone wears superhero outfits all the time. Because that’s kinda the vibe I’m gettin’ here.

This was a thing for a while, in the 90s I think. I remember it with the X-MEN for sure. Embracing the cheese of 90s comics seems to be a big part of the game style honestly.

Watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look. Combat looks fun, but I think the Fire Emblem stuff would drive me batty, especially as I don’t have any real affinity for Marvel heroes. I’d probably like it more if it were standalone like Freedom Force.

Huh. I thought I was being snarky but it turns out reality is far weirder than fiction.

They have special customizable civvies outfits that they wear at the Abbey, though you can choose to have them wear their superhero outfits instead.