Marvel Midnight Suns: Firaxis unveils the Nico vs. Chthon showdown Marvel fans have been waiting for!

LOL, it’s really not what people expected. Maybe include in deckbuilder thread? :D

Sigh, I feel like Jake is trolling me now.

I really hope it’s a joke.

For me, that has the potential to be the greatest game ever… but I’m dubious

That actually sounds way better than an XCOM clone. If Marvel Midnight Sun is actually a card-battler tactical RPG, I have three words for anyone who’s skeptical: Metal, Gear, and Acid.

-Tom

FTFY. What great games.

I am not put off by the card mechanic at all. I’m not much of a superhero fan, but if the overall RPG and combat mechanics are solid, I’ll definitely give it a look.

Agreed. I haven’t gotten around to playing more than a few hours of Firaxis’s XCOM games, let alone the clones, but I’m totally there for a card battler tactical RPG.

(I’m interested in XCOM and clones, but it’s much less my jam than Metal Gear Ac!d was.)

Went from super excited for a quality supes/x-com game to mildly annoyed at the weird gold/black costumes to underwhelmed at a deckbuilder/cardbattler. I mean, I’ll prob give it a try, but cardbattlers are far from what I want in my x-coms.

Okay, well played Game Informer. I downloaded the App and since annual subscriptions aren’t that much more than individual issues, I bought a subscription.

Anyway, can confirm that is an image from the magazine. One of the producers specifically mentions “Slay the Spire” and “SteamWorld Quest.”

Also Jake Solomon mentions that he felt that “War of the Chosen” was pretty much his ideal design for an XCOM game, so I think they just wanted to work on something else.

Finally as far as the GameInformer app goes, can I just say every designer that overrides the OS’s or browser’s ability to pinch zoom and locks their app with a specific size font with no way to override it can just DIAF. It’s especially galling because when viewing the app with the iPad horizontal there’s over 1” of margin on both the left and the right, but I can’t zoom to increase the font size.

Wolverine is back in games!
The petty suits at Marvel has been keeping him and the mutants out due to petty concerns of “profiteering the competition”.

Nice to see the prospect of wolverine has you excited enough to resurface after so long.

In tribute to this occasion starting at 37 seconds:

This is my disappointed face.

I’ll play it, because of course I will, but “card-battler” is the quickest way for me to lose excitement.

I really don’t understand neither the obsession with cards, nor the resentment against them. They are functionally no different from skills, are they? Skills with various forms of cooldown and some randomization - the difference being that their icons are slightly bigger than usually, but thats it?

I see I seem to be replying to you Telefrog, but its more of a general observation than anything coined at you!

At least for me the issue is the “randomization”. Why should the powers/abilities that I am able to use be random in any way. Either I have them and can use them or I don’t and I can’t. Having to draw a card to use a power just doesn’t make sense to me and seems contrived. I was originally excited about this game, but not nearly as much now.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I understand that its the random part that is different from skills - something that I hadn’t originally thought about.

Randomization helps avoiding “Just always use laser eyes. Every turn, every time”.
Random cards create a more fluid and interactive combat environment. Just imagine it simulating a diverse combat environment where second to second situations only allow certain reactions. Soon you’ll love the interesting challenges and opportunities cards provide!

I was meh on superheroes-Xcom, but Slay the Spire (the best game ever made) makes this interesting again.

This is a good way to put it, and what I really thought you meant- I was surprised to see you back off. I think of it like I do (and I know some folks are going to hate this) the dice mechanic in Settlers of Catan. Sure, you could (and most games did) just have each terrain spawn its resource every turn. But to me it was always a great, streamlined way to abstract the fact that some lands are better than others for farming, etc.

This sounds intriguing to me.

I still mean that, but I suddenly understood better, after writing it down, what people opponed against.
My original post didn’t have randomization in it, and after thinking about it a bit, I dediceded to add that, leading to further reflection!

Seen from that angle, I would argue that good and enemy design, encounters and locations should make the player user a variety of tools as his disposal, instead of firing ‘laser eyes’ every turn. That’s the ideal way to solve the problem. From that PoV, use randomization to avoid it is like a crutch in game design.

This really is a bit for argument’s sake, in reality tactical squad gameplay and deck-oriented gameplay is so distinct that they fill different niches for me.