Marvel Puzzle Quest

Only 5 members? I’m too low level to want to take up a spot then. My only 85 is Thor.

I haven’t looked at alliances yet, since I haven’t had a lot of time to play this week. Do they do anything at all yet or is it just a way to see the rosters of your online buddies?

Heh, you’re higher than me.

According to the patch notes, that’s it. I assume they’ll add more stuff eventually.

I stopped playing and uninstalled this game and now my battery charge lasts a full day again. This game was definitely sucking battery even when I wasn’t actively playing it.

Sega has purchased Demiurge.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150218006672/en/Sega-Networks-Acquires-Demiurge-Studios#.VOYuV7HTmUk

Demiurge and SEGA share a vision for the future of mobile gaming: putting gamers first," said Albert Reed, GM of Demiurge Studios and VP of Product Management at SEGA Networks. “In today’s mobile games you must listen to your players and find new ways to keep them engaged. Our success with Marvel Puzzle Quest comes from our focus on iterative design and testing, with our players in mind. Joining SEGA Networks lets us align with a truly global partner that shares our approach to design, so together we can create the kinds of entertaining, fun and engaging games we all want to make.”

They did not purchase the rights to Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Wait, I’m confused… Does that mean the game will shut down? Or someone else will run it?

Unclear. Here’s what Sega told Gamesbeat:

“It’s business as usual. [Demiurge has] obviously done very well with that game and they have a relationship with D3, the publisher. To clarify, we did not get the actual rights to Marvel [Puzzle Quest] with that acquisition — that’s a separate relationship. But we fully intend to strengthen the title and help it be all that it can be."

“We have the engine that runs Marvel Puzzle Quest, and certainly we’re happy to pick that up as part of the deal. It was a key part of the acquisition."

Sounds D3 has to decide what to do with MPQ now: find a new developer to take it over, or just leave it in whatever state it’s in now. I guess contracting with Sega to have Demiurge provide further support for MPQ is a possibility too, but I don’t imagine that would be more than a short-term solution while they found someone else.

They bought the engine? Oh boy, is Sega stupid enough to try to make a Sega Puzzle Quest with all their classic Sega franchise characters?

How psychology works in Marvel Puzzle Quest.

This being a free to play game, there are two pain points associated with this system that can be alleviated by spending in-game currency. First, you can only have so many heroes on your roster, but you can expand that limit by purchasing additional character slots. Second, the new hero covers that you find have a time limit; you have to use them or watch them go away forever. So you may find a 3-star Rocket & Groot card, but you can’t actually use it unless you pay to make room for it in your roster. You can also sell the new card (or an old one to free up room), but that’s essentially the same as letting it expire given what little you get for it. Each time you find a new cover you have 5 days to to act or it’s gone. This sets up a well documented psychological quirk that makes people more likely to part with their money.

Played every day (to get the bonus gifts) for almost two years and never dropped a dime. It it tougher to get my heroes leveled because there are so many now my chance of getting one I need/want is lower. But still, I can play it as much as I think it requires (it’s not a ‘play til Qt3’ kinda game) and enough for me to enjoy it.

I stopped playing when I realized I simply could not win in PvP or competitive PvE… The impossibility of victory made it feel like it was all for nothing.

I’ve won 4 or 5 Versus and can place highly if I try (and its centered around a hero I have leveled up) and 1 or 2 Storylines too I think. Like I said, fun enough to tinker with it from time to time throughout the day.

I stopped playing when their app broke with an Android update, and once I’d stopped, I found I was much happier without it. What that article said about feeling the need to expand in order to keep your covers until you can use them is spot on, and no longer worrying about it helped my stress level.

I have a pretty decent roster of 45 characters, with Modern Storm as my only * and a decent spread of ** and *** (with a fully level Patch Wolverine as my “main”) without spending money.

The matchmaking has been affecting my ability to place within top 100 for PVP (the main way I’ve been building my *** roster) lately though.

It helps to read the forums on the “best” character builds. Then I don’t care when I win yet another Yelena Black Widow cover that I invariably forget to sell for ISO points.

I have plenty of 3* guys, some maxxed, but right around 500 in pvp I find myself against unbeatable opposition. Then I look at the leaderboards and see people at 7, 8, 900 and I’m like, welp, no win for me!

Oh, LOL. Do you join PVP right when it starts? I usually tried to enter a bracket close to the end time, and 600 tends to be the top score so getting 300+ puts me within the top 100 for another 3* cover. But recent matchmaking has prevented that strategy from working.

Like any other MMO, when I was part of a top alliance, I got the most rewards, but I simply didn’t have time for it and moved to a more casual alliance.

Thread arise!

I recently started a guild, getting tired of guild-hopping from public guild to public guild where most people have been dormant for months. The game seems to promote guilds that are almost full, which means when someone leaves a guild because it’s dormant, it’s just offered up to the next person who will inevitably do the same. Meanwhile fresh guilds with fewer people get no exposure on the public lists, so nobody joins.

Which I why i’m here. Our guild is small, but I’ve been active every day for months. I’m working to get a couple/few friends in as well, but wanted to put the call out here. If you’re not in a guild at all, there’s no drawback to joining – you’ll just get free stuff every day and every event. If you’re in a mostly-dormant guild, I’d advise you to jump ship over to mine. As we get bigger, we’ll get more critical mass, and all members will be currently active.

Guild name = “Popcappers” (I’m working on getting more PopCap folks in, but it’s not limited to us at all.)

Hi Slantz,

I’m on day 676 for daily rewards. I play every day, but I have been slacking in PVP. My handle is InternetWiz.

Awesome, glad to have you aboard!