Marvel Snap: Marvel's digital CCG

Pursuing rank during a season is one challenge. In the third season now I think I’ve come to terms with never breaking past the 40-50 range in rank. So I’m not beating myself up to get to 100, but it’s there to aspire to.

Pursuing your overall collection is the other challenge. At the pace they’re currently adding cards I doubt I’ll ever catch up and have a full collection, but it’s (almost) always fun to get new cards.

I think they’ll probably eventually have other things like tournaments or social features (guilds of some kind), they’ve mentioned that but I don’t think they’ve outlined specific roadmaps for that.

Thanks for the explanation.

If I can get my kid to play, can I set up matches JUST with him or is it only random players/AI?

For the moment, it’s just matches against other people / bots sometimes, but there’s other modes that are supposed to be coming.

So does “featured location” mean this shows up more often? I feel like it’s in most of my games. Which is very annoying for a newbie like me, who has no cards that benefit from all that destruction.

Yea, as far as I know the featured local shows up more often. Sometimes this really screws with learning how cards and decks work especially one that cuts out over half your deck. And I can see this being even more annoying as a total newb. But I think they change every few days at most. And even so, just playing and seeing how the cards play out is the best way to learn the game.

Build a deck with the biggest bodies / most impactful cards you can get, few or no combos, assume you’re going to lose half your deck.

And if you’re a newbie, you’re going to be playing against people that most likely also don’t have much in the way of profiting from the destruction (Death is the most obvious), card collection ranking is supposed to be taken into account for matchmaking.

Featured locations show up 40% more often for 48 hours, so expect Lamentis to keep popping up until tomorrow.

Let me explain the game progression as well as simply as I can:

Collection Level (tap Main, then tap the green number under your profile pic at the top): This progression is based on upgrading the quality of your cards, and is the main way you get new cards in the game. You upgrade a card to 3D or Foil or whatever, and you move up the track and gain credits, boosters, gold, upgrade tokens, and new cards.

Seasons (tap Main, then tap the Season Pass button on the top-left): This progression is based on playing games and completing missions. You start in the Recruit Season which ends at Blue Marvel (I believe), and then there’s a new themed season each month. You can play the season for free and unlock some of the rewards on the reward track, or you can pay $9.99 and unlock all of the rewards.

Ranking (tap Main, then tap your rank number on the right of the Play button): This is the competitive progression, and this number goes up or down based on how many cubes you win or lose after each match. Again, you can see the rewards along the track, with the highest reward at Rank 100. After each season, your rank drops 30-ish points when you start the next season.

tl;dr: Collection Level is an infinite progression that you unlock by upgrading your cards; each Season is a fixed progression that you unlock by playing and completing missions; Ranking goes up and down based on winning and losing matches.

Lamentis-1 is the shittiest featured location so far, even for players further into the game.

I’ve been unreasonably lucky with the early pool 3 cards I’ve been receiving the last few days. It’s been a lot of cards that are the cornerstone of some deck archetype I’ve not been able to play at all, e.g. Lockjaw, Mister Negative. Basically the most exciting kind of unlocks you can get, since it should be entirely new game experiences. But due to Lamentis-1, I can’t play those decks at all. It’s not that they’re not competitive, I’m fine losing some rank while learning. It’s that half the games I can’t even try to get a feel for how well the deck works because they no longer function at all.

It finally happened!

Now I just need to figure out how to build a Thanos deck…

With a mind towards Killmonger I suggest.

Nothing worse for a Thanos deck than a turn 5 or 6 Killmonger (and as soon as I see 1 stone I hold him until turn 5 or 6)

The stones don’t need to stay on the board; if you’ve played them, it counts, so Killmonger shouldn’t matter in this case.

Some of the stones have effects that require them to stay on the board. There was a good Reddit post on this, though if you want to build the deck entirely yourself it might have too many spoilers.

Not true, at least not fully? Soul Stone and Power stone effects definitely only happen if they are on the board. Some, like reality, do there thing and don’t matter.

But since power is what gives Thanos +10, it very much matters.

Time Stone too, despite the wording saying it is on reveal.

Right, the Time Stone has an ongoing effect that only works if it remains in play, and the Soul Stone’s “+6 to Thanos” effect won’t occur until you’ve played all six stones. But as long as you play the Power Stone last, its effect happens immediately, even if Killmonger destroys it afterwards.

Edit: Oops! I was misinformed. Someone said that the +8 to Thanos happens and stays there, but I confirmed that it goes away if the Power Stone is destroyed.

There’s “Featured Location” and there’s “Hot Location”. As Featured features less than hot, you may want to tweak your deck just a little but not so much that it lacks the synergy to win you the game when Featured doesn’t show up.

Some good cards to mitigate Lamentis 1’s deck destruction are Agent 13 and Sentinel. I don’t think Death is very useful as you need to draw her out at first place to make it work AND Lamentis-1 to show up after she’s in your hand.

And don’t forget to claim your new Storm variant in your news inbox:

Lamentis-1 is up there with the best locations. It changes the game in fundamental ways, it’s a different game when that location shows up, some cards lose value, others gain.

Very good design.

Turn one, I drop Sunspot left, opponent drops Nova left.

Turn two, the obvious guess is they’re running a destroy deck, so I drop Armor left both to protect my Sunspot from a future Killmonger and for what I assume will be a minor inconvenience of protecting their Nova. Opponent dropped Deadpool left.

Opponent retreats.

Sometimes it’s the simplest things that are the most satisfying.