Marvel Snap: Marvel's digital CCG

I tried playing around with this but without Daredevil or Omega Red, neither of which I have. Apparently Scorpion and Enchantress aren’t acceptable subs because I just got smoked.

Yeah Omega Red can easily be swapped for any other high power 4 drop. Crossbones, Jessica Jones, White Queen all should be fine. But the professor really needs the Daredevil here I think. Without that you’re better with a different 5 drop entirely. His job is 100% to either snipe locations like the Altar of Sacrifice or to use DD to read a location to steal.

Spider-Man could work instead of Professor X? With Storm and Cosmo there’s already a ton of lockdown, so Spidey locking down just the one lane for round 6 will constrain them a ton.

Also, the obvious counterplay to Kingpin is for the opponent to just play their cards on that location in round 6. Spider-Man can counter that. Kingpin on 3, Spiderman on the Kingpin lane in 5, and then Aero or Magneto on 6 on the same lane.

As for what to put sub for DD for a 2-cost, it feels like Mojo would have good synergy with Magneto (use the pulled-in cards to trigger Mojo’s ability). Kraven too, but might telegraph your gameplan a bit too much? Invisible Woman would be nice for hiding Kingpin, but would make it a Cosmo magnet.

(Man, the deckbuilding in Snap is just so good. It’s just so much easier and satisfying to theorycraft a 12 card deck that you’ll see the majority of in a game, than a 30-50 card one like in most CCGs.)

Yeah there are several ways to counter this, filling the location does work, but at the cost of me dictating where you play to greater or lesser degrees. Also in most cases one Magneto has more power than 2-3 cards totaling 6 cost.

What I like to do is turn 3 play Storm or Kingpin, follow up with Juggernaut in that lane (winning it outright with Storm or keeping it more clear with Kingpin). This often means that if that lane is still open, they will try and play their turn 5, usually giving me a lane opening for Professor X. Then I can Magneto either into the Kingpin lane, or pull cards away from the Storm lane.

It doesn’t always work, and flexibility is key. But generally between all the cards that move opponent cards, or force them into/ away from certain lanes there is an opportunity there.

Brood-Surfer is, as always, the biggest failure point. In theory X and Cosmo can negate that, but in practice the Sera-Surfer deck is still the one that is most likely to beat you. No shock as it is hands down the best deck in the game by a fair margin (only Darkhawk-Zabu comes close)

Yep, this was more brainstorming what the variant of this without DD could look like given @ineffablebob’s card pool, not a comment on the efficacy of the original deck :)

(But actually… You probably have priority on Surfer for round 6. A Kingpin lane that the opponent can’t play on + priority would basically be a guaranteed kill with Aero before Surfer procs…)

Datamined/leak nerfs for Surfer and Zabu incoming:

Get your Zabu Surfing fun in when you can! Offhand, I think I’ll go refine a Surfer Patriot deck, and this probably kills my 4-cost heavy deck where I use Drac, Omega Red, Jubilee, Hell Cow and Ghost Rider to drop crazy power.

Then again, I just started using Valkyrie for a Cerebro3 deck with decent results so this proposed nerf is timely as I was already weaning off those two cards.

Ending Zabu season at rank 62. Last hurrah of Zabu Surfer deck for me today.

Me at the end of every Marvel Snap season: “Well I easily passed Level 50 on the season pass…the regular season pass should be fine for next season. I don’t need to spend $15.”

Me when the new season starts: “One deluxe season pass please! Here is my $15!”

The extra $5 is a terrible deal for me. Those caches are predominantly boosters, and who here needs more boosters.

I’ve been getting to the 90’s on season pass level, no need for more of them.

bummed on Zabu getting cost reduction since he was good in my surfer deck ;)

I have absolutely zero pity for that one. Surfer still absurdly strong.

Honestly there is one further thing Surfer needs, and that is Broodlings. They should be zero cost. That would alleviate the biggest source of Surfer abuse, without hurting other archetypes that use it, like Patriot.

The highs and lows of card unlocks.

Open cache: ooh I got Shuri! One of the best cards in the game!

seconds later realizing I have none of the cards that really make her pop off awww…

Yep, I seem to have support cards out the wazoo, but getting the key components that make a deck actually work is another story. The one big exception is Sera, got her early on and have been riding that Sera Control deck ever since. Other stuff I build is fun for change of pace, but all are missing a key card or two and thus not anywhere near the win rate.

So the new season is just going to be Cosmo vs. Lockjaw (discard decks), in my brief experience.

The Zabu and Silver Surfer nerfs are live, which are probably pretty reasonable changes, but now that they can push card changes without an app update it should absolutely throw a pop-up alert in your face when that happens. Currently no communication I could find in the game, and even a rotating notice on the home screen would be easy to miss.

And all of a sudden Lockjaw is everywhere. Still a lot of Sera, but Lockjaw discards have been the dominant force out today.

Of course I’m playing my big lockjaw deck, so hardly one for me to complain there. Not seen any Zabu and only a single Surfer since the nerf.

Modok is around, but hasn’t been dominant. Good ability but seems unreliable in some sense.

Also I have seen multiple Medusa and Hawkeyes today. From real people, not bots! That… is weird. Especially since I am playing people who have already hit infinite. I see that card back people.

I thought I’ve seen this before a few times but just caught a bug I guess that was very obvious. I played the quinjet which should have dropped my cost of cards not in hand when I dropped it but doesn’t look like it did. Am I missing something that’s blocking this?

Quinjet only reduces the cost of cards that didn’t start in your deck. It doesn’t look like you’ve played anything that gave you cards from outside your deck.

Aaah, deck not hand. Reading is fundamental. That really seems less than useful. Oh well.

it’s extremely useful and occasionally can feel quite broken.

Things like Moon Girl, Agent Coulson, and White Queen are great ways to feed that. Pairs well with Collector.

Utterly busted on Thanos.