Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Yeah, that one was a bear for me as well. But it seems to me the boss fights are all about figuring out the pattern and working around it. For instance, the Ultron fight gave me fits at first. But now that I understand when and where those killer beams come from, it’s trivially easy.

Of course, you want to make sure you’re not punching too high above your weight. This game does NOT want you pushing under-leveled characters too far forward.

-Tom

I’m really enjoying the game so far, but in retrospect maybe it wasn’t the best decision to buy both this and Animal Crossing at the same time. It’s all I can do not to carry the Switch around with me all day like a blanket!

I fired it up last night and was delighted to discover an update with new superheroes and danger room levels and even story levels. Well, maybe not delighted, because the new superheroes were the Fantastic Four. But new stuff is new stuff, so that’s cool.

Also, they raised the level cap to 300. That’s just 246 levels to go for my Captain Marvel!

-Tom

(I really hope the eventual new Fantastic Four movie is actually good. I know it’s a low bar, but they’re running out of chances to retell this origin story. It’s up there with Uncle Ben getting shot and the Dark Phoenix saga.)

Am I correct in assuming that you play through the expansion content separately? I bought the DLC because of course I did, but right now I just have some Morbius/Punisher/Moon Knight expansion I can access. I’m just playing through the main story, and I assume I won’t have Morbius just popping up to join my team.

Kind of. The Danger Room and Gauntlet are new ways to play, but I’m pretty sure you can bring in any of your characters, even if they’re in the middle of the story. It’s just like the Infinity modes, with all the challenges arranged on those hex grids. However, the way you unlock the new characters like Punisher and Moon Knight is by hitting thresholds (fairly low thresholds, IIRC) in the new DLC modes.

That said, I’ve played through the story probably a few times over, working my way up the harder difficulty levels. Maybe it does want you to finish the story once before doing other stuff? Can’t you just jump over and run Gauntlets, for instance?

What’s weird is that you have to swap around main screens to get to the new content. I guess they don’t want to put it all under one big menu, because then people who don’t buy the DLC would have all these non-available options listed in their game? I’d rather there was just one central menu to get to everything.

-Tom

Just picked this up, played some late last night, really enjoyed it, thought the characters really fit well, the GOTG start was excellent.

Too many good games to play atm

Picked this up over Black friday this year. Just installed and am ready to rock.

First impression: Hey cool, a story.

Second impression: Wow, they white-washed Gamora.

Third Impression: I wonder if I’ll ever get to play as Baby Groot instead of the dead one from the first GotG movie.

I never realized how similar both the Green Goblin and Luke Skywalker’s Joker from the Arkham games sound. With the prison levels in the early game I’m getting flashbacks to the asylum.

I also don’t know much about Venom or why he wants to protect the innocent but kill Spiderman, but apparently he doesn’t have an issue with Spidergirl or any other version of Spiderman.

I kept hoping this would hit $35 or so but it never did. It’s now selling for higher than retail…

My understanding from people familiar with Venom is that Venom is inherently dumb and nonsensical so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Further, I’ve been told that the characters in the game are based on their comic book selves rather than the ones in the films, so that accounts for other differences.

This helps explain how Falcon suddenly gained the ability to telepathically communicate with birds, and why the Green Goblin is a literal goblin(!?).

Except for the wonky camera, the game is quite fun. I am especially appreciative of how many big name movie villains they’re throwing at me.

At the moment I’m still playing as the Guardians of the Galaxy, mostly Drax. I think I just broke out of the prison and did my first challenge rift.

Oh, and Nebula looks spot on compared to the movies.

Yeah, that was a trip for me too. I was expecting Willem Dafoe.

Yes this continues to perplex. It’s just not that good by all accounts, but the price remains high so presumably it still sells (well enough). It has absolutely kept me from buying anyways.

I keep almost buying it. And really, any desire to grab this is completely based on Tom’s enthusiasm for it. Most other reviewers found it mediocre at best.

I nearly pulled the trigger when it went on sale this Black Friday, but even then it was only 25% off, and still more expensive than almost everything else I was considering. I have a tremendous backlog, so I ended up passing again. So I’m right there with you. If this is ever 50% or more off, maybe then I’ll finally bite.

Yep, the part about telepathically communicating with birds (or at least his own pet falcon) comes directly from the comics. And this may blow your mind, but the original Falcon didn’t even have wings! He was just a guy with a pet falcon.

I have no idea what’s going on with Green Goblin. As far as I know, he was always just a guy in a mask. Maybe the Ultimate comics version is an actual goblin.

His face is animated like he’s an actual goblin, ears and all. But at one point he talks about himself as though he’s also Norman Osborn, the human (in the movies at least) that utilizes a mask. So I’m not exactly sure what the explanation is in the game just yet, if we get that far. At the rapid pace I’m meeting new heroes and seeing new enemies, I’m not sure if I will see Green Goblin again.

He’s always been this way in the comics, as far as I know. Animated mask and all.

From what I remember and could tell, Green Goblin is an actual goblin in this game. Not just wearing a mask or suit to make him goblin-like, but 100% a goblin, as if it was a science experiment gone wrong kind of thing. But my only experience with the character is this and the Raimi Spider Man movie.

I just entered a room and found a villain called M.O.D.O.K. and I had to pause the game for a bit because I’m laughing outloud at how stupid this guy looks. Man, I am just busting up over this guy.

I don’t know what’s so funny about a Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing.