Marvel's Ant-Man is no longer an Edgar Wright joint

I’m not sure how much of that I believe…they seem to be giving Joss a lot of creative freedom, aside from a “Don’t kill these people” list.

Keep in mind a couple of things. Ant-Man was never on Marvel’s go-to list of movies that needed to be made. It was Wright’s pitch and demo reel that convinced them and that was long before they got their unified vision together. A big part of the issue (according to sources) is that once they decided to unify everything, things changed. Joss got more freedom because he was in on the ground floor of the MU movie strategy.

Even discounting that, it’s obvious that the relationship between Marvel and Wright underwent a transformation. Whatever they agreed on before went out the window. Unfortunately for Wright, whatever he developed already for Ant-Man is theirs to use (or not) as they will.

Yeah, I do buy the “things have changed” scenario, it seems plausible to me. Nobody involved is necessarily being bad or wrong (unlike, you could say, with a few of the problems they’ve had with actors here and there - sometimes Marvel’s problem, sometimes the actor), it’s just one of those things.

It’s now a Peyton Reed joint.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/2014/6/7/22643/director_peyton_reed_and_writer_adam_mckay_join_marvels_ant-man

Director Peyton Reed will help shepherd the hero into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a cast led by Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, with writer Adam McKay contributing to the film’s script.

Directed Yes Man and Bring it On.

I have no emotional ties to Ant-Man, but I really like him (uh, Peyton Reed) as a director.

Evangeline Lilly will be playing Hope Van Dyne (Hope Pym in the comics) Hank’s daughter. Janet, Hank’s wife, AKA The Wasp, is not in the movie. Michael Douglas says she died.

My name is Dr. Henry Pym. I’m an entomologist. I’m also a physicist and I discovered in 1963, a way, a serum to reduce a human being to the size of ant maintaining the strength. Not only that, but I was able to find a way to communicate with the ants. But unfortunately during this process, a tragic personal accident happened with my wife, my daughter, Evangeline, Hope.

So, no Wasp for you Avengers purists.

I’ve otherwise heard that WASP is in the movie, but only briefly - perhaps as a flashback scene that shows that tragedy.

Who knows though - the tragedy might have been something reversible, like he could have shrunk her into microscopic size and presumed she died, which could then offer her an opportunity to reappear in a subsequent movie.

Good to see there is already a Starlord spin-off coming out.

Oh right, I’ve suddenly realized - we haven’t had a big movie with people acting in oversized sets for quite a while. That’s what this is going to be all about.

As my ex used to say about hit records with saxophones, you’re allowed one a decade.

I guess Marvel are hoping that they can make this “shrink ray” film the one that’s allowed for the decade :)

I hope they pay more attention to the surface grain of materials this time round. That’s always where previous efforts have fallen down - e.g. a surface that appears smooth to our macro vision will look pitted to a tiny person. Previous set design has suffered from not representing that (i.e. the giant child’s block will have as smooth a surface as a child’s block).

Here’s the first poster:

Trailer should be premiering tonight during Agent Carter.

Speaking of films with small people in giant sets, anyone remember Land of the Giants?

Clever poster. I’ve never liked the character, but then again, I said that about Captain America, and I am a huge fan of Chris Evans’ take on him.

Yeah, at this point I’d almost trust Marvel to remake Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and get it right. (Just the first impossible task that came to mind.)

I do. It wasn’t around long, was it? I only saw a few episodes here and there. Why did the big people want to kill the little people? I never knew.

At one time I assumed on-demand TV would let us watch anything from the past, like this show or The Invaders or something cool like Bill Bixby’s The Magician. I wonder if old shows aren’t available for rental streaming is because it’s too complicated to pay residuals? The accounting must be a nightmare.

I don’t really get the tone of the trailer. Or the characters. Or the stakes. I guess there are some cops?

Seems like a comedic tone, which is good! Michael Douglas’ staid, overly serious delivery had me fretting this was going to be a super dud, but Rudd defused it right quick.

That’s my best guess at what they were going for, but I don’t think there was enough comedy in there to pull it off.

The screenplay is by Adam McKay, who’s been doing Will Ferrell vehicles for as long as he’s been working. That should tell you a lot about what to expect.

-Tom

Trailer looks ok, if not overly exciting. Sound design guy was asleep at the job though, the flying ant sounds disconcertingly too much like a chopper.

I was not impressed with the trailer.