Marvel's Avengers - Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal

Next gen upgrades and Hawkeye on March 18

“With his bow and sword as his side”? Hawkeye uses a sword? That feels like cheating. Judges?

-Tom

Did you ever see Endgame?

I really don’t understand why they decided to do two bow users in a row for the first two DLC characters.

combo of storywise it makes sense because they are so closely connected, and it’s easy to make assets that are similar (animations of bow and the like)

I’m still excited for the next gen updates, especially for framerate and load times, but damn are they missing the boat on these delays.

And, yes, he does correct “flaying” in a follow-up Tweet.

I know some of you guys have enjoyed this, but from what little I’ve played, I can say it’s one of the worst action RPGs I’ve ever seen. My hope was that eventually it would get hammered into shape. I’m guessing that’s never going to happen.

-Tom

Have you played the campaign? Thats a really great adventure!

I’m pretty sure that’s the only way to play, isn’t it? I haven’t finished the campaign as I didn’t like the game. But I have played it! And I love that they focus on Ms. Marvel, even if they keep mispronouncing her name.

-Tom

Aye, i think it was the only way to play, in the beginning. Now you can jump directly to just doing the …eh, missions I guess they call them?

Okay, the campaign didn’t start out that strong I think (The whole demo that was released was part of it) but afterwards I really enjoyed it, personally - but I really disliked the starting bits. It felt like a game where you just had to press specific buttons at specific times, but that changed after we got to Kamala :-)

Next Gen ports

Boring bow guy has a Disney+ series coming out.

I actually think the core combat system in Avengers is pretty enjoyably. Since that loop is so important to a loot grind game I think Avengers still has potential. I definitely enjoyed my time with it, but ultimately the endgame wasn’t really fully fleshed out.

I don’t think artificially extending the amount of time you need to play the same few activities in endgame by slowing down progression will do this game any favors. It really needs dailys and weeklys, or even a raid. Something to create a cohesive community around various activities and add a sense of purpose and variety with increased challenge for groups.

It doesnt feel any slower. Capped kate and got clint to 24 today finishing his campaign. Felt about like it was before honestly

Oooo. This might make me jump back in after giving up on it.

Boy it looks like the PS5 transfer is a shitshow.

It’s not that bad. Just make sure the PS4 version is up to date. Launch that version, there’s a new save transfer tab. Use that then download and/or launch the PS5 version. Other than downloading the PS5 version took me maybe 5 minutes.

Yeah, then you have the game twice on your hard disk and it will constantly ask you if you want to download the PS4 version. As opposed to xbox smart delivery where it just fucking magically upgrades by itself.

And somehow since playing a few months ago it seems to have lost ALL my progress. It’s showing me at 0% of the campaign complete, despite winning the solo game. Ffffff.

You can do the PS4 upload before ever starting the PS5 download. And I believe they fixed the install prompt for PS4 versions of disc games which never impacted digital versions.

It was seamless for me. I already had the PS4 game installed. Launched it, tabbed over to save migration. initiated it. Closed the game and deleted it. Went to the PS Store and redeemed the PS5 upgrade. Once that downloaded I launched the game and it automatically found my profile and all my trophies started popping.

The real great thing about this version is the load times. They are incredibly fast now. It makes a huge difference playing the game.