Marvel's Avengers - Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal

Not maybe. That’s pretty much a fact of life these days (talking about franchises and big IP’s, not niche titles obviously).

I was not into the game before it came out. I played it, and got swept up for about 100 hours. The campaign is good. The post game is engaging for awhile; it even has mini campaigns. I really got into the combat mechanics and how unique each character is as I leveled them up.

I did stop playing though. The game has a weird hamster wheel effect once you’re max level. You are just grinding gear (fine), but the gear is not so interesting and the baddies, and even where and how you fight the baddies, becomes very static. The baddies just get bigger with you. Thus even if I progressed, I was not stronger, but often weaker against the same stuff, doing the same maps. Basically I hit a content wall and there are other games to play now.

I had a lot of fun with it. More than I expected by a wide margin. If this game lives, I think it will be a great pickup down the road for a new player when the game has more heroes, villains, thugs, maps, end game direction, etc.

It’s not the ultimate arbiter of success, but there was a whopping 260 watching streamers play this on a Friday night. This is looking like Anthem 2.0

Free stuff if you sign in later in October.

That’s going to make six people really happy.

Will Marvel’s Avengers follow Anthem to become the next Destiny wannabe to fail?

I tried the demo, it was terrible. I’m not sure what they were thinking.

There was stuff to like in this game, but I just couldn’t get over the bugs in the end. My friends and I never successfully finished a vault ever with all 4 of us start to finish. Crashed on someone every single time.

I can look over warts and things, and I really liked Kamala Kahn, but… not if you just can’t play the game

Was just coming here to post that. Seems like a decent roundup of the topic in the past month and change.

Good.

Saw the game back in the comic book news.

Turns out it only sold 3 million copies. ~60 million USD loss.

I’d link an article, but the first few I looked at weren’t very good.

What @Gigglemoo said.

Here’s a consumer post mortem for Square Enix, with a sample size of one (me). I was hyped for this game. Then I found out it was a live service game, with repetitive grinds, random loot, and level ups, and my enthusiasm plummeted. But I was still going to get it. That is, until the Spider-Man announcement, which was a slap in the face to me as an Xbox player.

Yes yes I know, Sony’s rights, nothing you can do. You know what? I don’t care!

The campaign is quite fun, and well worth the price of admission - at least to me. The rest is just the usual stuff, like Destiny and such - but the 12 hours I spent on the campaign was good fun!

I have a suspicion that it will show up on Game Pass soon enough. Lots of games that don’t hit their sales projections show up there, perhaps as a way to make up the shortfall.

Crystal Dynamics Tomb raider did at some point, didn’t it? So could easily be - I recommend at least trying it out there - The new Ms marvel is such a great character!

Right, but Destiny has a LOT of that stuff. The endgame grind is pretty great there. I haven’t seen anyone say that about MA, at least not yet.

I wonder if they’ll get there? Making a game with this license has to be a huge investment. Maybe that means they stick with it. I’d love to have a good Destiny/ Division style looter-shooter where I can play Scarlet Witch or Rocket Racoon. I wonder if this will ever be it?

I finished the campaign. Got bored of the other stuff fairly quickly though, it felt so cookie cutter. Wait until it’s $30 or so, then it’s worth it.

It’s on Black Friday sale for about that now ($40 CAD which is 50% off) but I’m still on the fence. I love me some super heroes but maybe Ultimate Alliance 3 will go on sale soon for the Switch? And there’s also the exact same price for Persona 5 Royale available. I’ve never played a Persona game, but I couldn’t help but be amazed by the difference in review scores vs Avengers.

This game is gonna be $10 by Christmas.