Marvel's Avengers - Square Enix, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal

For those who do pre-orders and open betas:

Spider Man to be PS exclusive DLC?

Ouch.

Ah, that’s fine. I think I speak for everybody when I say Spider Man is the worst Avenger.

Worst than the arrow guy? I think not.

Guessing this is either snark or someone hasn’t played Spider Man…

I can’t play Spider Man, it’s exclusive. 😥

It motivated me to buy a PS4 Pro as a Christmas present to myself on Black Friday last year. Not only was it worth it, but it also somehow managed to get me out of my gaming ADD phase (pandemic shelter in place may have contributed as well). It came with GoTY versions of Spider Man (the reason I bought it) as well as Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War.

Spider Man is one of the few games in the past few years that I’ve finished. And now I’m well on my way to finishing HZD.

I’ve dabbled elsewhere a bit (some Rocket League, a bit of Frostpunk - a game which kind of makes the pandemic worse), and a bit of co-op Divine Divinity - Original Sin and PBEM Warlords DLR, but mostly I’ve been gobbling up Spider Man and HZD this year.

I’ve already decided that when the next gen hits I’ll be buying a PS4 instead of an Xbox Sexy X. There are probably a dozen or more AAA exclusives I missed out on this gen (that I’m interested in) that will hold me over till 2025 when the Xbox games touted at the recent showing finally start hitting the street.

Yeah, I have similar reasons for going the other way this time. I am so knee deep in PS4 exclusives that I own but haven’t played yet, it will take me to 2025 to play them. In the meantime it will be nice to replace my creaking Xbox One for the latest 3rd party stuff and Halo Infinite. And my XB1 backlog. And maybe by 2025/2026, there will be a PS5 Pro. If not, I can get a Switch Pro, if there is one. Whichever is announced first.

I still have about a year on my Game Pass upgrade, so we’ll see.

Right now, I’m good with 4k gaming on the xB1x and PS4 Pro, so I’ll hold off a bit (I figure I can last until at least BF)… haven’t even looked at the next gen consoles yet. From the last gen, I still remember the dramatic xB changes, and I’ll wait until (at least) November to decide and see what happens with the early adopter growing pains/complaints. Also, RRoD xb360 issues could easily strike either console while being built/assembled during a pandemic, so I do want some QC data on the new gen first.

I do need a 4k BR player tho. 4k from discs for movies is still far superior to streaming.

The Spider-Man thing turned this from a day 1 buy to a “wait for it on gamepass” game. I’m not paying for half a product.

Yes Spider-Man is that important. It’s like making a Justice League game and having Batman as a Sony exclusive.

Yup. Officially confirmed.

It’s a bullshit thing to do.

Maybe we can have Craig added as an Avenger as an Xbox exclusive.

Well hang on though, if Spiderman is an add-on character, how important can he be to the game? It’s not like they’re making two different versions of the game, one Spiderman focused and one not. This is probably like the Prothean team member in Mass Effect 3, a nice to have but non-essential. Then again, I’m not the world’s biggest superhero fan so what do I know.

There’s no Spider-man story content. He’s just a bonus playable character. I suspect he’s exclusive because Sony’s license for the solo games specifically blocks his appearance on Xbox and PC, so the choice is really between him being exclusive to PlayStation, or not in the game at all.

Spider-man does appear in Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch, so maybe Sony’s contract ignores that platform, Nintendo specifically paid to sub-licence the character, or something in the Ultimate Alliance franchise predates or supercede’s Sony’s agreement…

Not just Spider-Man, but Miles Morales, Spider Gwen, Venom, and probably a couple more Spider-Man variations I’m forgetting. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is lousy with Spider-Men! Good on Nintendo for getting him and his buddies in there.

I thought Sony’s clench on the Spider-Man IP got smoothed out when they made their deal with Marvel/Disney for the Avengers movies, but apparently not.

-Tom

God, that would be amazing wouldn’t it? If in crossover games like Soul Calibur and such instead of Master Chief or Marcus Fenix or Ori, the crossover character started being Craig?

Even more “advantages” announced for Playstation.

PlayStation players will have exclusive access to certain Community Challenges, where the PlayStation Nation will work together to accomplish a goal in order to gain rewards specific to them.

When it comes to cosmetics, PlayStation players will have 30-day exclusive access to a Legendary Outfit, Legendary Emote, Epic Takedown, and nameplate for each Super Hero as they are released – this is also for the six launch heroes. In addition, we also have rewards for those with a PlayStation Plus subscription. For each Super Hero added to the game post-launch, Hawkeye included, all PS Plus members will receive a free bundle that contains a Rare Outfit, nameplate, and 100 Credits to celebrate the addition of another Avenger to the roster. At launch, we’ll have a free bundle for Ms. Marvel available for PS Plus members to embiggen our love for Kamala!

PlayStation 4 players will be the first to play the Beta! The Beta for those who pre-ordered on PS4 will take place from August 7-9 with pre-loading available on August 6. Following that, the Open Beta for all PlayStation players will be available from August 14-16 and August 21-23.

That is freaking awesome of them, and shows Sony’s genuine appreciation for their playerbase. It’s a good day to be in the Playstation club.

Credits? Oh f*ck, what’s the Microtransaction model here?

Edit: ok, looks like it’s cosmetic (for now, at least as of 2019 - no more recent info I can see):

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/know-square-enix-avengers-project-231547576.html

Costumes and microtransactions

All post-launch heroes and additional regions will be available for free to all players. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics also promised at E3 2019 that the game would not feature “random loot boxes or pay-to-win scenarios,” though the game will still include microtransactions.

According to an interview that lead creative director Shaun Escayg gave with IGN, these will take the form of custom outfits that can be purchased with real money. You will not be able to buy anything that can affect the gameplay.

These costumes are separate from your main gear, so you can customize your character as much as you want and just change the appearance. If you were wondering, yes, these will show up during cutscenes as well. Crystal Dynamics said that costumes will vary between all the known ones throughout 80 years of Marvel history and complete original ones made by the studio.