Marvel's Civil War Consequences

Thanos is my fave, but he’s already busy, and has no interest in Earth on it’s own but the galaxy/universe. Fin Fang Foom may be dead. :)

Loki would be a horrible choice because the Ultimate Loki is playing a similar role in Ultimates. And Millar wrote both, so he has no excuse.

Again, comics have been better written than that in the past few years to have a foozle appear in the third act. I just can’t believe that given the quality of the work recently that editorial would green light something so … amateurish.

I guess I’m just being wishful. I’ve been told by several people that they believe that Marvel will pull a foozle out of their rectum, and that in the Frontline and Wolverine comics the pieces will be played out. The October solicits hint towards this strongly.

Funk.

I’m not advocating it, or even saying it’s a good idea. But I can’t imagine them bringing back Thor without some other parts of the Thor-universe. The biggest of which is Loki. How best to introduce Loki? In the same mix with Thor.

not to mention, Loki has done this exact kind of thing before with Acts of Vengance, and the whole X-Men/Danielle Moonstar becomes Valkyrie arc.

Meh.

Like funk said, having Loki behind the scenes is just Millar plagiarising himself. He’s a better writer than that, so I really hope that that doesn’t play out.

What I would like to see though is other countries response to the registration act. Even if it’s sidelined to short points of view in single pages.

I think the only person that can smack Tony Stark around and get away with it is Jim Rhodes.

Looking over the October solicits, we finally get to see inside Tony’s head.

I wish they had did this earlier. As of right now, the pro-reg side looks like the bad guys.

Funk.

Wouldn’t gigantic liberals be pro big government registration while conservatives side with the more small government/private citizen minded opposition? You know, like the gun control issue…

I’m not trying to poke at you, rasputin. I just find the different interpretations of what is a liberal and what is a conservative intersting. Both “sides” tend to flip-flop depending on what best suits their current context these days, and the way I see it the two distinctions are arbitrary at best and completely meaningless at worst today. I don’t want to turn this into political discussion mumbo-jumbo, though. It’s an interesting topic if anyone feels like discussing it but it probably belongs in the politics forum.

Did anyone catch Joe Q on The Daily Show talking about Civil War?

I think, at least in Mark Millar’s case, he means the kind of liberal that has hated everything about the administration since Bush was elected. Millar’s Ultimates have G.W. as president, for example.

No offense taken. The impression that I always get from comic writers is that they’re of the “hippie” liberal bent. Sure, they want gun control and such, but they don’t want government oversight of their lives. Basically, they want the freedom to smoke their doobies in a van down by the river, but not get rounded up by the Man or shot by somebody. Also, in this case, they’re making a statement against the current gov’t of the US, which all liberals hate (except Joe Lieberman).

Maybe there’s a different term for that political wing that I am ignorant of.

Regardless, I don’t think Marvel’s going to make the right call and have no bad guys here. For one thing, that would cause such a gigantic schism between the heroes that they really couldn’t work together again. If each is truly convinced that they’re right, then the other is wrong, and every thing goes to hell in a handbasket until Franklin Richards puts the universe in a rubber ball and everyone is drawn by Rob Liefeld.

Personally, I think that they should’ve done this ala Age of Apocalypse, where they could really let the cards fall where they may without worrying about upsetting the status quo. Or at least let the storyline run a year or so with ever escalating consequences until it just explodes, instead of cramming it into 6 issues.

It would be nice, although unlikely, if rather than have a puppetmaster bad guy to maintain the norm and get the heroes all working together again they would instead change the status quo. Keep the heroes distanced from each other at best, working together hesitantly when they work together at all. Make things more human in the super world and shake things up a bit.

Won’t happen, but it would be interesting if it did.

Could the Puppet Master, in fact, BE the Puppet Master? Is he still around?

Yeah, the page where they reveal the identity of the villain behind all the fighting should just be a piece of reflective foil with plastic over it.

Did anyone catch Joe Q on The Daily Show talking about Civil War?

I liked it, big comic geek that I am.

This is really good so far.

But is it just me, or is the Wolverine comic drawn by someones 5 year old?

I really like the guy doing Wolverine when he reins it in just a little bit.

Yeah, I like him too. There are a lot of guys that do a similar sort of style, particularly at Marvel it seems, but this guy I actually enjoy. I’ve been going back through the Ultimate X-Men, and the guy doing it there really sucks, by comparison.

Just read the much delayed Civil War #4.

No spoilers but my reaction:

Fuck me! I am so fed up with Millar today. If any of these changes stick I am done with Marvel. DONE!

I’m trying to figure out how they explain the big part of this issue. Going by the lead ins, it doesn’t make any sense how they got there.

I’d like to know why. PM me if you don’t want to spoil it for people.