Marvel's Iron Fist - Netflix

More or less. Davos, the Steel Serpent was the main adversary in the Immortal Iron Fist run (and his tattoo was the logo on the drugs the old woman was running in Daredevil, probably as more of an easter egg for fans than laying a specific foundation for a story, but they could still run with that). He’s probably got others though they could pull from though, my knowledge is really just limited to that particular series. Technically the X-Men’s Sabertooth first appeared as an Iron Fist villain in the comics long ago!

Yeah, one of the most important writers of Iron Fist was Chris Claremont, the X-men guru.

I’ve bot Brubaker’s Immortal Iron Fist complete collection vol 1 on the way currently. Chris Gwinn told me to read it ages ago and I said I would. I didn’t mean to wait this long.

See, now that’s one of the reasons I hang out at QT3, for gems like that :)

Iron Fist teaser - looks very good.

Well, barely anything there, but nothing looks bad.

New trailer from NYCC:

Anticipation level: medium. Nothing looks bad, but I’m almost certain we won’t be getting the specific Iron Fist story I was hoping for (the Brubaker story from the 2007 run).

Well, good action - this needs to have the best action of the Netflix shows - will go a long way.

But not incorporating the Brubaker run as much as resources allow would be disappointing. It has a great arc for Davos and the Kun-Lun stuff is terrific. Plus, Prince of orphans.

Agreed. It’s possible some of that stuff is too early to show off for production or just secrecy reasons. But then again, I’d also expect to have heard more casting news if we had the seven immortal weapons involved.

It’s my hope that they’ll set it up for a subsequent season. I mean there is certainly plenty to fill up season 1 and lead into Defenders (especially if you are going to do Davos’ arc justice; he needs time to cook as a villain).

'Nuff said.

Seems to confirm what I’ve assumed all along, this definitely won’t be a straight up adaptation of Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker’s run. K’un-Lun is mentioned/shown, but it looks like this is mostly going to be about Danny Rand in NY. Which makes sense, and I’m still excited, but also it’s a shame.

I think I prefer a story set in NY rather than going through his training. Plus, there are always flashbacks! You just know there will be flashbacks…

Hate the music, but it looks pretty interesting!

This trailer fell so flat for me. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage all had fairly strong identities and tone, which came across via characterization, location, visual design, and music. So far, I can’t really find that in the Iron Fist stuff. I’m hoping the show itself has a distinct tone, and the trailers are just failing to capture it.

I never got around to watching Arrow, and now I won’t have to!

Still hopeful for this series, but that trailer wasn’t too exciting, and the actual ‘iron fist’ FX looked pretty cheesy. This is one of the few Marvel characters whom I have never read - at least not since Claremont’s original series from the 70s (which I read in the 90s after Sabertooth became a much more important villain) - so I don’t have biases towards any particular interpretation of the character. The Netflix shows have been pretty faithful to character origins though, much more so than Agents of Shi.

Review embargos are lifted and it’s pretty much all bad news.

Man, these reviews are not good at all.

[quote]
Not one element of this plodding piece works. The action scenes lack spark, snap, and originality. None of the flat, by-the-numbers characters makes any lasting impression. And as origin stories go, the tale of Danny Rand (Finn Jones), at least as rendered by this creative team, is about as exciting as a slice of Velveeta cheese left out in the sun too long. It takes forever for anything to happen on “Iron Fist,” and as it stumbles along, the uninspired production design, unexceptional cinematography, and painful dialogue fail to distract the viewer from the overall lack of depth, detail, or momentum.[/quote]

Yikes.