Marvel's Iron Fist - Netflix

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I won’t say it is the best show ever based on the first episode, but i will be watching more.

I couldn’t help feeling it was similar to the backstory of batman and Arrow though.

I watched the 1st episode and it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I don’t feel any impulse to binge watch though - happy to watch 1 a day.

The first episode felt like the first episode of a show on network tv. Which is pretty damning compared to the prior Marvel/Netflix shows. But I watch fucking Grimm, so I suppose I can give the rest of this season a shot.

Closer to Arrow than Batman, I’d say, since Batman didn’t disappear, presumed dead, for many years. But even so, I think the fact that Danny returns homeless and penniless to find his corporation taken over by villains is a pretty big difference from Oliver coming home to his mother and sister and fully intact fortune, complete with lavish family mansion, and one that could be interesting.

Though I agree with the general sentiment that “eh, it was all right”.

Nolan’s Batman did disappear for a number of years but understand what you are saying there.

Watched the whole thing beginning to end today; It was “pretty good”; it falls in line with the other Marvel/Netflix series. They are all 2-3 shows too long, although this one didn’t feel as bad in that regard, in part because it was never as good as the other series. Dialogue was serviceable for the moments it needed to be. It telegraphed its turns a mile off and hit all the cliche points, including a few that I was shocked to see in a Marvel/Netflix series. I was really shocked to see a whole subplot dedicated to American Psycho; was not expecting that at all There was a tonal character shift and narrative bits that I didn’t like Danny starts out K’un Lun AF an then loses it; then has to have a dude who from the Hand teach him how to Iron Fist? They put him on the gate as the Immortal Warrior without finishing his training? He was there for 15 years. I know they have to both make him fish out of water and give him an arc but come on! A secret “good” Hand that gets thrown out almost right away plot wise? please.

One thing that I will unmitigated praise to is the score; I loved that electronic Daft Punk/Stranger Things-esque sound and really worked well for me for the show.

So do the Defenders for 13ep 60 min shows and then come back with new seasons of 10ep shows, or even better, change it up for them. The intra-and inter-episode arcs are too predictable now.

I am not going to touch the politics of the show, other than to say this is an inclusive, diverse female empowering show that goes WAY out of its way to deliver on all of its special progressive touchpoints.

The boy and I just finished up Ep 3 last night and we felt it was darned enjoyable, honestly. I like Marc Bernardin but I’m not sure why he was so dour on this - I suspect it’s the expectations being too high from Luke Cage, which he liked quite a lot more than I did (and for very different reasons).

Like @ShivaX we didn’t go in knowing much about Iron Fist, I didn’t even know his backstory was being found by some order that fights the Hand and being trained (which I think is a great potential tie-in to Stick and Daredevil). I’m actually really digging a lot of the tie-ins to the “mini-Marvel Universe” they have created here, in fact.

As for Finn/Danny Rand I quite like him. The fight scenes look pretty good and some of the over-the-top stuff they have to CGI looks suitably otherwordly to me rather than cheap, since most people can’t actually side-flip over a car that almost hits them, for example. Tough to cast that.

We’ll keep at it, watching a few more episodes a day. I don’t really think I’m going to trust a lot of reviews from folks like IGN or anyone really that binges the entire show in a day or two. You just can’t really separate the episodes and digest, at least in my experience. Better to savor them a few at a time and let them “settle” first. I maintain Netflix shouldn’t put their original content out all at once.

I disagree, but then I’ve never liked waiting around for someone else’s airing schedule on regular TV. It’s easy enough to take your time if you feel the show warrants it, but it’s much better to be able to binge it if you are so moved than not.

It’s not that bad. Slow-burn like most of the Marvel Netflix shows to start with. Luke Cage dragged so much in the first few episodes I almost couldn’t be arsed watching it (though I’m glad I persisted, it did pick up quite nicely towards the end).

The race-baiting criticism is inconsequential twaddle from extremist political zombies, so I’m giving it the contempt it deserves.

It really falls down because the lead actor isn’t quite up to scratch. He’s obviously doing the best he can and trying hard, and kudos to him for that, it’s not a shit performance, it’s passable; but I’m not finding him all that convincing, he’s not really a Danny Rand type of guy to start with, as I remember Danny Rand. With these shows you need a naturally charismatic lead. Daredevil, JJ and LC had those, unfortunately this show doesn’t.

The Hand plot stuff bores me a bit though, tbqh, it bored me in the second Daredevil and it’s boring me here.

All in all, I’d say that it’s slightly better than watchable, if only because the fight scenes are pretty good, and the actual Iron Fist stuff is well done fx wise, which is bound to warm the cockles of any comic book fan’s heart. Plus also, Rosario Dawson doing sweaty kickboxing.

It’s the least good of the Netflix shows so far, but not abysmal, so all in all that’s a good run from Netflix Marvel. Looking forward to the Defenders.

The Defenders is a much shorter season. 8 episodes.

Dunno where all the haters are coming from. This is far from flawless a few episodes in, but it’s very watchable. C+ so far

4 episodes in. It’s not terrible, but so far, it’s the lesser of the Netlfix/Marvel stuff.

I dislike that term. It’s called opinions and calling them haters is weak, like snowflake. If you like it that’s cool, if someone really dislikes it that is also fine.

Plenty of mixed opinions is also fine…

It ended up being better than I expected, but all the criticisms are mostly fair, I think.

The only one I might disagree with is “it’s too slow” but I’m pretty sure that complaint has been leveled against basically all of the series to date at this point. Considering no one knows anything about Iron Fist, he was going to take more time to introduce, especially since he didn’t have any tie-ins or anything. I still think it was the weakest of them, but so is the character.

I’ll admit I didn’t watch it intently on the main screen like the rest. Maybe that helped in the overlooking bad SFX/stunt double stuff I’ve heard people complain about, but it seemed decent enough.

I haven’t read anything that jumps out at me as massively wrong, so I tend to agree that most criticisms are fair to level at the show. I just find the sins venal for the most part.

One thing I think that is notable is the lack of a truly scene stealing character/actor. Nobody in this show has risen above the material in the way that Kingpin or Kilgrave or even Deathstroke in Arrow does (I love me some Manu Ginobli, it’s true).

And of course the main character is the weakest of the lot. I don’t find him awful or anything, but neither the writers nor the actor have done anything remarkable with it.

Still, I’ll watch the rest of it. C+ kung fu adventure works just fine for me.

And finished. I think overall I enjoyed it, but that last episode had a lot of strange writing hiccups. I will spoiler tag some of the things I remember, but I am sure I’m forgetting a few others.

First Joy is mad her father framed Danny. Then suddenly she’s listening to a proposal to have him killed. What? And how did Ward have a phone number in his phone that could call Danny? Danny left his phone behind at the Hand complex and had also smashed his friends phone. And why did he tell his friend he was not going back to the monastery, and then in the final episode it’s all he wants to do? That was kind of strange.

I liked the characters and the season overall, but it is the weakest of the four titles. I think my biggest complaint was how freaking often Danny couldn’t summon the Iron Fist due to his emotions and the way the showed him still hung up on the past. 13 hours in I was hoping he would find some inner peace and that would be how he would confidently, serenly deal with the Hand. This was a much sloppier and less satisfying end, with a literal cliff hanger!

Midway through e7 and it keeps getting dumber. I may have to recant my anti hater remarks.

Agreed. It actually got worse as it went along.

Plus, the fight choreography is terribly low-budget TV.

Oh my god. Episode 7 is so incredibly bad.

[spoiler]

How does the board oust both Meachams and Danny in a coup? Danny owns 51%. Presumably junkie and dumbass own some stock as well. What the fuck? Did the founders only retain a tiny amount of voting stock?

How does Ward not have enough money to fuck off to Belize without embezzling money that Daddy apparently has some kind of back door to zap out of his account? He’s the massively successful CEO of a multi-billion dollar multinational company. Christ.

Danny and Colleen can’t even go fuck up a heroin depot by themselves? They need to recruit a Triad to be buddies with? Way to betray one of the only good moments in the show so far (Danny saying that dudes have guns “only because they have no idea how to fight” which is schlocky and dumb but fitting and fun at least). So much for moral authority.

So dumb. So, so dumb.

[/spoiler]

Oh yeah, I had those same thoughts during that same episode.

I know nothing of the IP and I am not a big comic fan. Watched 60 minutes so far. It’s a bit on the slow side, and I like a lot of slow stuff. It’s that nothing really seems to happen. You have that evil douchebag brother. You got the evil sensei dude. The thing is there’s not that many interesting interactions between people, or reactions. The main character is still acting like a burn out hippie. The most annoying thing is the constant flashbacks to the past with the wipe effect. Yeah, you’ve ALREADY shown me that one scene, and there’s no new information.

We’ll see what happens next.