Marvel's Iron Fist - Netflix

The main thing I find annoying is his basic attitude/approach: I’m sorry, he’s only been gone 15 years. That is 2002ish. Its not like we’ve gone from horse-and-buggy to the moon in that time. To just waltz around barefoot, in grubby clothes, with no proof of identity, and just expect everyone to hug you and cry and celebrate the miraculous return is stupid. And to just keep expecting it over and over after everyone demonstrates that it isn’t working is even more stupid.

Maybe come up with a better plan after the first couple of rejections?

Yeah, that’s not really part of Danny’s oeuvre.

He was like, ten at the time of the crash. And the child of extreme wealth who was homeschooled. It’s not terribly unreasonable to suggest that he never learned what life in the real world was like. And spending many of his formative years in K’un Lun wouldn’t exactly help with that. As of episode 3 he did actually figure out that telling people about the mystic stuff was maybe a bit unhelpful, and he does find a more effective approach, so it’s not like he’s unable to learn.

I finished it last night, I think I enjoyed it more for what the source material is or it could have been rather than what it actually was. I loved that they got a lot of the characters in from the comics, but then I really didn’t love how they used a lot of those characters as throwaways, not going into details for spoiler sake. Flashback sequences to Kunlun annoyed me because they showed nothing and Danny’s backstory should have been far more show don’t tell, but budget.

The plot was awful too, help, kill, help, kill, work together, plot against. There wasn’t a lot of consistency and it seemed to be twists for twists sake. So I can see why it is getting all the harsh reviews, if I didn’t love Iron Fist, or if I felt the need to be critically pure, then what a load of rubbish. But Iron Fist!

This show is poop and nobody should watch it. I gave up after 2 episodes.

I still have only watched the first episode, which wasn’t great but not as terrible as I was expecting. I’ll get through the rest eventually because it’s Marvel and, perhaps even more compelling right now, it’s the first 4k Dolbyvision content I’ve had on my new TV and it looks stunning as a result, even if it’s just people walking around right now.

I do kinda like Danny’s zen attitude, and the fact that he so easily dispatched the thugs sent after him. I’d like to see him as the best fighter by a considerable margin in the Defenders - with Daredevil being more reliant on bludgeoning his way to victory, while Cage and Jennifer get by largely by being unstoppable tanks.

I also like Loras as Danny, much more than I expected and essentially as much as the other leads in the Netflix Marvel series. But the rest of the cast is really, really weak so far. Jessica Jones and Daredevil had fantastic villains and even Luke Cage at least had a very charismatic character (and actor) for part of the season in Cottonmouth. The actors introduced in the first episode all seem even lower in quality than network TV shows like Agents of SHIELD can retain.

Watching episode two is a chore. This is so disappointing on every level.

Oh man, it goes so much deeper! Come! Join us! Ia! Ia!

I got through episodes 2 and 3, and there are some hints of it picking up, but it’s amazingly slow compared to where the other series were by this point - having had a major arc or battle or two. In this one he spent all of episode 2 strapped to a bed? Isn’t that for the traditional episode 9 filler episode? We didn’t even see the Iron Fist for 2 hours, which is crazy.

I like the build up of the Hand, and don’t mind the closest thing to villains so far, although there’s some telegraphing where that storyline might go (hope I’m surprised instead).

There was a little more of the synth-soundtrack at least, which I like. This is really flat so far though.

I feel kinda bad for Finn Jones.

[quote]
When asked a general question about how he prepared for the exciting martial arts scenes, his reply is halfway between an excuse and an apology.

“Well, here’s the situation,” he begins, explaining that he only had three weeks to train before filming. “Unfortunately, with the filming schedule, I wasn’t given as much time as I would have liked to continue the training.” Shooting for 12 or 14 hours a day took its toll. “I was learning those fight scenes just 15 minutes before we shot them, because that was the schedule… It would be 2am, 3am, I’d just done a long day of work, and usually the stunt department would come up and say ‘Hey, right, we’ve got this huge 30 person fight and you’ve got to learn it right now.’ So I was learning it on the spot, within 15-20 minutes, and then shooting it. That was the reality for six months.”[/quote]

Jesus, that blows. And I’m only 2 eps in, but you can kinda tell in some cases. . .

The people making the show should have either gotten an actor capable of doing the action scenes or made the show in such a way has not needing such an actor, have the character use a mask like Daredevil (and like how he does in the comics) and get some stuntman doing the action.

When it comes to being good at Kung Fu, that’s the point of the character. Kung Fu fights are going to come up, and we have Into the Badlands, Daredevil, even Agents of Shield to use as comparison…

Yeah, that’s why for 15 years the part was going to go to Ray Park, according to his declared intentions and lots of buzz and rumors (although for a movie version of the character).

The article doesn’t bring it up, but as I recall, Jones was hired very late in the production. So it’s not just a matter of an incapable actor, it’s also the fact that said actor had extremely little time to get up to speed.

Yes, that’s all the more reason to just hire someone who already has the necessary skillsets, but they’re probably few and far between. Most guys in Jones’ position would have 3, or 6, or 9 months to do intensive training, if they were interested in it. But the heavily delayed production schedule for the show, alongside the deep need to get it out the door before The Defenders, and thus on a tight schedule, exacerbated this issue noticeably.

Which, as I said earlier, blows :(

So it sounds like they sacrificed any sense of consistency for expediency. Yeah, it seems like this isnt Jones fault at all and he should get some props for pulling this off at all under those conditions. Im thinking that Netflix bit off more Marvel than they can chew at this point.

Started watching this, then stopped.

It follow the classic archetype of “children of king lose his power”, “live with the poor people and make friends with the poors”.

Generally these are interesting, because the rich guy learn a lesson on becoming humble. Here the douchebag is still somewhat douche. Not bad, but not good either. Moral blandness.

It feels weird that I’m enjoying the show. Everyone is saying how bad it is, but I’m honestly enjoying it. Yeah, the fighting is pretty terribad and Danny goes from being able to mow down 12 hatchet-wielding men to suddenly barely beating a single non-martial arts trained man in a trailer. Still, I’m enjoying. It’s a solid #4 on the list (in order: Daredevil S1, Jessica Jones, Daredevil S2, Iron Fist, Luke Cage).

I’m enjoying this more than I enjoyed Luke Cage, mainly because I feel like they are actually moving the story along. Luke Cage crawled, with entire episodes where almost nothing happened. I can only take so much “I don’t want to get involved” brooding before I’m falling asleep. It’s the same reason that I don’t rank DDs2 higher; Season 2 had several episodes that moved…so…slow… before finally picking up in the second half of the season. Iron Fist, on the other hand, is much more frantic. Yes, that is causing some real awkward moments, bad fighting, the terrible “gauntlet” fight with the poison lady…but dammit, I can’t help but enjoy it.

As for Danny being rich; I suspect that is going to be the way that The Defenders end up being financed. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are all pretty much broke and living in near slum-like conditions. Now they’ll have a money source for things like weapons or a base of operations.

Having finally gotten round to finishing it, my previous estimate needs slight revision: it’s still not absolutely terribad, but actually a bit worse than I thought from the first few episodes, and mainly down to Finn Jones simply not being suited to the role - an uncharismatic actor with good looks, who tries hard but just doesn’t have “it”. Sort of a Jude Law 2.0.

The character is inconsistent the way he’s portraying him. The bemused hippy of the first few episodes seems to give way by halfway through the show, to a nervous wreck with violent tendencies who doesn’t know whether he’s coming or going, with the primary result that Iron Fist just doesn’t come across as a real person, and the secondary result that the Kun Lun background just feels like a meaningless gimmick (as opposed to somewhere you’d get some kind of weighty training from mysterious beings). And Iron Fist not seeming like a real person is a big problem; again, I’m comparing with DD, JJ and LC, who are all charismatic actors

It seems like they were trying to avoid flashbacks to Kun Lun a la the Kung Fu tv series (the original series is obviously where the comic book character drew some of its inspiration from), but that was probably a mistake, as without those, there’s no contrast to something else Rand should have been, so no sense of his current state of agitation being something with a contrasting background, so no sense of it being an inner struggle: it’s just a guy with a superpower acting erratically.

On the other hand, they could have played it like the Champions tv series, where the “ancient wise city of heaven” thing is played out as a one-shot, super-mysterious thing, but then Danny would have had to pretty much remain a bemused hippy with a superpower all the way through. That might have worked, but again, instead of relying on that they tried to give him conflict where there’s no real coherent reason for it as depicted.

As it is, the only really interesting character in the whole show is Ward Meachum, who’s well acted, has a sort of redemptive arc, and for whom one feels some sympathy as being the victim of his abusive father, and who feels like an actual human being from start to finish.

I have to say that the power fist slam in the final episode was very cool, and almost worth the episode. But it would have had more impact if the character had felt more real.

The other thing is that I’m getting mightily tired of milk-fed slips of girls beating up on 6 ft meaty bouncers in movies and tv shows. That there might be one or two of them around is a fun possibility (although they’d have to look pretty meaty themselves to do it); that you couldn’t turn a street corner without coming across such an eminently capable maiden, strains credulity even for comic books. At this point, the trope is ceasing to be just a fun thing with a feminist point, and becoming a tiresome cliche that’s being shoved down our throats as mindless propaganda.

Ugh. Forget flashbacks, 75% of this show should have been in K’un-Lun, in the present day. I’m sure everyone in this thread is tired of me saying it, but it sounds like this was a total failure to understand what would make a good Iron Fist story from the very earliest stages of production.

May have already been asked/mentioned, but does anyone have an inkling if Claire grabbing those claws at the end of season 1 has any implications for her in Defenders or the other Marvel shows? Or is it just a point that she’s surrounded by these people with special abilities and she wants to take care of herself?