Marvel's Luke Cage - Netflix

Finished it and I think overall I liked it. Mostly because of the interesting ending.

There was still a lot of poorly if not outright stupidly written stuff though. I think they just have too many writers and not enough people pointing out things that don’t make sense.

Misty is high on the “who wrote this” list, but I don’t see the problem as being with her as a character so much as everyone around her making no fucking sense.

Misty didn’t take the pension because she loved the job. It’s a trope or whatever, but I’m fine with it. She butts head with the captain, because that’s what she does. Again, fine. But as you said then things get really dumb and make no sense. I put it down to writers changing with every episode and no one in charge going, “Wait, why is Misty good with the captain suddenly? He’s been on her ass literally the whole show.”

Misty was pretty internally consistent and fine imo. It’s just everyone around her making no damned sense and doing donuts in the parking lot with their personalities and motivations.

I watched one more (the 4th) and I just can’t bring myself to watch any more. I just don’t care what happens. Now I’m watching “American Gods” and I feel much better.

I watched the first half of the the first episode. Seems like the villan this time around is Luke Cage’s money problems.

Boring.

So I finally pushed through to the end.
Man this show just dragged on and on. Seems like the second half curse struck again and it just zig zags aimlessly till it finally decides to rush the ending.

My biggest gripe is that Luke is delegated to a aimless supporting character while Mariah hams it up as the gangsta queen and bushmaster basically just fizzles out. Some of the latter plotting could have come straight out of the horrendous Iron Fist. Pointless things just happen because some scriptwriter wanted them to, without any regard for plausibility or internal logic.

The hilarious thing is that Iron Fist’s guest stint wasn’t that bad at all! Who knows perhaps Iron Fist 2 will surpase Luke Cage in quality?? Who’d have thought that would ever happen?

I finally went back and watched this. I actually dug most of the musical interludes and picked up a couple of new artists to watch from the bluesier stuff.

I sort of hated how the season ended. It didn’t really make much sense at all, it was a super gross character arc turn, and then everyone’s reactions to it are very strange and off-kilter to boot.

Watching the two villains basically burn themselves out kinda sucked, because early on, they were both riveting and highly compelling. Bushmaster deserved way better than he got. Mariah deserved exactly what she got (I hated her season 1, but her filthy scheming in S2 starts so strong and confident before she goes off on the crazy train), but still, blegh.

There is surprisingly little superheroing. Lots of terse, dramatic, not very well written arguments between every combination of the principle cast you can imagine, over and over again. It’s a very talky show, and the talky isn’t where it’s strongest.

And again, that turn at the end of the last episode? Poorly telegraphed, totally unnecessary based on any reasonable read of the situation at hand, and just a really dour, unpleasant place to take a show ostensibly about a superhero. Ugh.

Canceled. No season 3.

Less upset about this one than Iron Fist, but even with Netflix’s protestations about being in control of their own stuff, I can’t help but wonder if Disvel is eyeing the competition. . .

. . . any weasel words about these heroes appearing in future Netflix properties this time around? Heh, decidedly fewer of those to go around. . .

At this point I expect they’re all cancelled, no matter what any talking head says.

We’ll hear Daredevil is cancelled sometime in the next month.

I agree - they are probably all cancelled save for the seasons already greenlit.

Maybe they are cancelling Iron Fist and Luke Cage because surprise! Heroes For Hire season 1, beeyaches!

They certainly left those two heroes in pretty weird places for a team up series…

This feels like Marvel pulling a plug. But I’m just some nerd on the internet.

Well, neither seasons of Luke Cage really worked for me personally, but they were still better than season 1 of Iron Fist.

And yeah, with the situation at the end of the respective second seasons, it’d need quite a bit of heavy lifting to have Luke and Danny team up as ‘Heroes for Hire’. ‘Daughters of the Dragon’ seems more likely from a narrative standpoint, though I doubt it’ll happen.

Season 2 didn’t work for me as a Luke Cage show (but was a great Misty Knight & Mariah Stokes show) and the ending didn’t really make sense. Not too upset to see this one go but it certainly puts the writing on the wall for the other series once their current seasons finish airing/filming.

Can’t say I’m sad either although Mike Coulter was born to be Cage. I just stopped watching a few episodes into S2.

Don’t buy their all gone. JJ and Daredevil have both been much more well received vs IronFist and Cage were. Also I’m pretty sure Punisher S2 has already been green lit. I think Netflix is just starting to decide they need to actually cancel stuff now than then. They’ve done this for several shows in the last couple months.

Yeah, I know, but I’m pretty upset we never got to the Heroes for Hire stuff, it’s at least 25% of why I watched their solo seasons! I guess we had that one great episode in S2 Luke Cage, but still. And if we never get to find out about the final scenes in Iron Fist S2 I will be very disappointed.

This honestly sounds the most accurate to me.

I kinda thought this was true for pretty much everything in the last episode.

Luke’s decision to do. . . I’m still not entirely sure I understand it what he’s thinking or doing (although it was a poetic touch by Maria to try). Tilda going full on murderer, and then being furious that Luke got the club (she never cared about the club once, and was clealry uncomfortable around that life, yes very much owing to her mother’s role in it). Bushmaster just saying “eh, fuck it, imma head back to Jamaica this shit is too hard”.

This was a weird, uneven, but at times very good season of TV (and at other times, not). I would up really liking Mustafa Shakir as Bushmaster. And they set up an interesting parallel between Luke’s “darker” bents and both Bushmaster/Dillard, and how the destructiveness of the latter two was causing all sorts of collateral damage (Bushmaster especially). But they forgot that you’ve got to do something interesting with that besides just set it up. And then just drop the heroing, and don’t so much conclude Bushmaster’s arc right when it gets interesting as just sort of drop it.

I’m almost done with season 2. It’s really good, I even enjoyed the Iron Fist/Power Man team up episode.

Sounds like this is the end for Marvel and Netflix, sadly. Most of what my family watches on Netflix is Disney stuff honestly, so when Disney pulls their content I might cancel too.

I’m pretty sure what we’re seeing is Disney taking its ball and going home; no reason for it to nurture what will soon be a competitor.

Though I can potentially see Disney allowing Netflix to continue Punisher, since it’s off-brand for a Disney streaming service.

Since the exact details of the deal between Marvel and Netflix hadn’t really been disclosed other than the notion that only one season for each show and a Defenders team show had been agreed upon (and Iron Fist kept shifting around), and there was talk about negotiating the follow-up seasons + The Punisher, we can surmise that Disney agreed to additional seasons perhaps on the condition that they could choose to pull the plug at any time potentially in deference to their own upcoming service(s). Or at least provide an out for Netflix.

The only things we know now is that The Punisher season 2 is in production and that no other renewals have taken place. The only other weird things have been going on have been about the future of the Defenders, with various parties either saying the core concept is dead, doing a second season with different characters, or Daredevil coming back to it, etc.

But I’m thinking that actually Disney will pull the plug entirely on everything in anticipation of moving off. The blood and gore isn’t too far off in The Punisher from Daredevil so I’m kinda thinking they’ll move that too. \

— Alan

Netflix has claimed Iron Fist was all their decision, but in the wake of the Luke Cage cancellation that’s harder to buy. But again, we’ll see - it’s barely plausible that neither show was performing to their standards and Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Punisher will continue. If any of those get cancelled I’m comfortable concluding Disney’s called in their chips.