Mask of Kri

I’d been meaning to check this one out for a while. It didn’t help that I didn’t even have the name right (it’s actually called Mark of Kri). But I found a used copy for $12 last week. In fact, there were about a half dozen cheap used copies on the shelf.

Which is a damn shame. What a great piece of work! Not many gamers appreciate the difference between artwork and graphics, but this is an example of stellar artwork. I love the fresh cultural context (vaguely Asian/Mongolian?), the animation, the little ring-tailed ferrets crawling around the inn, the voicework, the sound (there are some really cool effects playing under the “music”, which isn’t music so much as atmosphere). Mask of Kri manages to fully realize someplace new without resorting to the same tired look and feel as so many other games.

The combat system is great, too. Very gratifying to learn, without being too complex. You can draw a sword and wade into a crowd of bad guys and really feel like you’re in the fight rather than just mashing buttons. I love the way the AI reacts to you. If you violently dispatch someone, all his buddies rear back for a while, scared of you. I wish more games would do something like this to reinforce the idea of Player as Total Bad-Ass.

The developers struck a great balance between stealth and good old-fashioned ass-kicking. Compare this to something like Splinter Cell or Thief, where you have to be afraid all the time because you’re so frail. Stealth is often preferable in Mask of Kri, but there’s nothing wrong with knocking a few heads from time to time.

I like the way they use the Spirit Familiar to address camera issues and to lay out the level design for the player. You can fly a bird around to check out the level ahead of you. This gives you a much better sense of where you’re going, what you’re doing, and what’s in your way. The level design is ultimately as guided as Splinter Cell, for instance, but it doesn’t feel as limited. You can unlock some arena challenges which are pure combat, with all the weapons and no sneaking around.

I went to wumpus’ favorite site, GameRankings, to see how Mask of Kri fared and was disappointed to see it woefully underrated by some of the bigger sites. I get the sense that it might be a fairly short game, which might account for some of the low review scores, but I’d rather play ten hours of Mask of Kri than twenty hours of Metroid Prime. The save system (you have to find and use ‘save scrolls’) might annoy some people, but it hasn’t been a problem for me.

Anyway, Mask of Kri is one of those games like Cloaca 2 that’s been on my ‘try to get around to it one day’ list. I’m glad I finally got around to it. Now I might even remember to call it by its actual name.

-Tom

What the fuck is Cloaca 2? Do you mean Klonoa 2, you iconoclast you?

It would actually be pretty funny if a game was called Cloaca 2. I mean, that would mean that Cloaca 1 had to do at least ok!

HA!

Might as well call your game Sphincter Cell!

HA HA!

What the fuck is Cloaca 2?

I have no idea. It’s got, like, a surfing dog or something in it. Like with Mask of Kri, I was told it’s good.

-Tom

Two things:

1. It’s Mark of Kri, I only correct so more people might buy
  2. The guys who made the new tomb raider should have played more of this game. Instead of forcing you to control every sinew on the character, they let you focus on combat strategy and then use that abstraction layer to make some of the coolest looking fighting scenes you’ve ever seen. Great game, totally went over people’s heads.

I’m not sure, but I think the ethnic theme was more like a medieval Samoa, what with the tattoos and whatnot. Add me to the “that was a great game” list. Some incredibly violent finishing moves were available, which were a little surprising to see at first. Add to that all the little reward content that make console games so cool and you got yourself a sweet little title.

Agreed. It kinda looked like Lilo and Stich gone horribly wrong.

Which is a damn shame. What a great piece of work! Not many gamers appreciate the difference between artwork and graphics, but this is an example of stellar artwork. I love the fresh cultural context (vaguely Asian/Mongolian?), the animation, the little ring-tailed ferrets crawling around the inn, the voicework, the sound (there are some really cool effects playing under the “music”, which isn’t music so much as atmosphere). Mask of Kri manages to fully realize someplace new without resorting to the same tired look and feel as so many other games.

Thanks to Sony’s awful bungheadedness, we never got to see this title in Japan and I’ve been wanting to play it for eons. Its not like it wouldn’t appeal to us either, its got violence, a bright and animated graphic style, and a cool control gimmick, what ELSE do you need to attract Japanese gamers? :o They should take heed with Ratchet & Clank’s sales over here completely outpaced the American sales (with a smaller installed base too!) and give the people what they want. We want Mark of Kri! Instead you gave us SOCOM! Boooo! Bad Sony! Ba-ha-haaad Sony. Oh well, at least we still get Boku no Natsuyasumi (My Summer Vacation).

In general, Sony’s a real underrated developer I think. The Ape Escapes rock, Jumpin’ Flash was lovely, ICO a great triumph and Wild Arms Advanced 3rd and the Popolocrois trilogy were excellent.

As for Kri’s setting, I thought it was an American Indian/South American tribe setting? Hmmm…would know better if I could PLAY IT (SONY! GET YER ASS IN GEAR :evil:!) Either way, I love it when developers try to work with non-common real world settings. (Why I’m playing Lionheart demo right now, I hope they release this in Japan…) Illusion of Gaia was also great, getting to play in the Incan Ruins, Angkor Wat, the Pyramids and Great Wall of China and seeing the historical settings around places like the Cape of Great Hope and slave-trading was really cool. Kri looks great and I want to play it.

As for Clocoa (he he he!) yeah if you’re thinking the snow-boarding dog creature that’s Klonoa. Klonoa 2 is an excellent, excellent platformer. Its also another game with a highly unique visual style, sort of a weird impressionist dream state style crossed with cartoony bizarre monsters that don’t resemble any kind of animal in our world. Like Kri, its not very long, but it is quite sweet. While its slow-paced, its more of a puzzle platformer (but no, there aren’t any jumping puzzles) because the main mechanic of grabbing enemies and using their movement styles to navigate and affect the 3D environment on a 2D plane is stretched in every way possible. In fact, its one of the platformers where it quite enjoyable to collect all the doodads (but its not focused, its classic point A to point B style progression), because you get to access superhard secret levels and because a lot of the most obscure gems involve some pretty involved puzzley thinking to get. It is geared heavily towards children, but many adults who are more into mature settings (Asher-types, if you will :wink:) have been charmed by its great sense of light-hearted storybook style. Besides, if you had no complaints about Dark Cloud 2’s content, this probably won’t bother you either and you can skip the cutscenes. Plus, everyone speaks a fake videogame language that will have you saying, “Dippity do!” just like Klonoa before each level before long. Its just got that much charm. The stage designs almost progress like a story book, or some folding fan that shows you more and more of an active, living world, whether its seeing the inhabitants perform in a play as you curl around them or watching them go to war and torch the background, sending troops and reinforcements against each other as you journey through a steadily disintegrating city to the tune of big brass band music. I still think its the best platformer on PS2.

I think the reason you hear about the snowboarding dog thingy is because its probably the most memorable and adorable moment in the game. And no, I’m not telling you what its like. You’ll have to try and find the game and see for yourself. Though if you ask me the most impressive part was the Memory Museum, that place was TRI-PPY! Anyway, if you do decide to go for it, you should do soon, I hear the game is becoming rarer and rarer in the States, and like the original, is beginning to be really hard to find. Shame its not quite as popular over there as it is over here.

-Kitsune

I think Kitsune’s right with the American themes to the artwork. The finishing moves and the level goals made this game for me. And how fantastic a game mechanism is that damn bird? They actually let you look ahead and plan your actions in the stealth sections of the game.

If only the big brawl at the end didn’t keep me from finishing it…

I’ve been itching to get this game since its usually arnd 20 bux or under. Thanks for the heads up! BTW, gamerankings own reviewer gave it a 92 and its got an 8.1 avg at gamerankings… not bad at all 4/5.

etc

And here I thought I was the only one who loved this game. Not only are the visuals original and top notch, but, Tom, you ignored a small but pretty ingenious design novelty in Kri. The ability to use the right analog stick to select exactly who your next opponent is. Granted, most of the time I would do a quick circle so that I could bind a button to any enemy, but there are times when I just wanted to take out the crew chief first, and then butcher the underlings.

The beat-'em genre is lying fallow right now in large part because I don’t think anyone has figured out how to handle targeting multiple enemies in a 3D world for melee combat. Kri has come closer than any game I know about.

My only major complaint about the game is that it becomes rather stiff and puzzle-oriented in some later stages. The idea that you could shoot a boar and have it distract a guard is a great one, but some of the later level design is so poor that’s all you could do, essentially reducing the gameplay to puzzle-solving. But that is a minor complaint on an otherwise brilliant effort.

P.S. I saw this in a local Best Buy for $9 last week. WTF??

P.P.S. I don’t want to break the hallowed and delicate Spoilers membrane that so easily rends, but I found the very final boss confrontation to the best I’ve played in years…but not for the usual reasons.

Klonoa 2 is awesome. Very underrated. Bizarre, but gorgeous with some solid gameplay and interesting environments.

Mark of Kri was pretty fun too, though I can see why it failed in the marketplace… people don’t generally associate “fantastic cartoon animation” and “brutally gory decapitation”.

I said Samoa earlier, but I was thinking of the Maori of New Zealand. Like this guy:

Is having his tongue like that supposed to make him look more vicious or scary? You know… sometimes civilization isn’t such a bad thing.

Is having his tongue like that supposed to make him look more vicious or scary? You know… sometimes civilization isn’t such a bad thing.[/quote]
Maori warriors would make that face when they went into battle, and they still do in traditional ceremonies. I believe it was meant to say to their enemies, “I will eat you alive.”

I’d be fairly freaked the fuck out if I was goin’ up against an army of dudes makin’ that face.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you were sure to bring modern weaponry.

Well, I picked up Mark at Gamestop today. It was $6.00! Best bagain bin title I’ve ever purchased. The multiple enemy combat is terrific. The only limiting factor is the fact that multi-enemy combat is pretty much throttled to 3 people only. Triangle could have been an attack button as well, but then, this is still a minor complaint.

My initial impressions of this game in the store were that this was some sort of samurai, Onimusha thing. When I first opened the instruction manual, however, I was struck by the Disney nature of the animation. A lot like Hercules, or, as was already said, Lilo and Stitch (great movie. rent it, you’d be surprised).

The first time I saw Rau stab his sword into the crawling body of an enemy, however, both presumptions were destroyed. No Disney cartoon would feature such violence, and no Japanese samurai game would reward the killing of defenseless and wounded enemies (oh, the dishonor).

All-in-all, a great effort by a team that obviously wanted to do something completely different. They succeeded.

Three Questions:

1. Jonathan Beard? Who’s this? Should I know him? He was executive producer on this game.

2. Did you notice that the lower right-hand corner of the manual is a flip-book cartoon of Rau dispatching a foe?

3. How’s the sequel?

The animators of Mark of Kri are apparently ex-disney/Don Bluth people, so the “hyper-animated” feel of the game is no coincidence. In my opinion Rau’s combat moves are a tad too sluggish initially, but the frequency with which he hacks off limbs once he gets to the better weapons makes up for it. Nothing quite like a couple of extremities getting lopped off in one sweep to emphasize just how much of a barbarian you are.

I remember reading an interview where one of the developers talked about how much they liked Conan, and really, that’s just the “brawling hero” feel they captured.

The sequel, which is called Rise of The Kasai or something like that, isn’t out yet, but it seems as if it will focus on on-line co-op with optional single-playering with an AI. The focus will apparently be on Rau’s sister, Tati, this time around. Let’s hope that means better sales.

The only limiting factor is the fact that multi-enemy combat is pretty much throttled to 3 people only. Triangle could have been an attack button as well, but then, this is still a minor complaint.

As you get better weapons you’ll be able to target more enemies at a time. The last weapon will let you assign three little enemies to each attack-button, bringing you up to being able to hack through nine enemies seamlessly. Charming!

Not per se, unless you also think that’s how the local cannibals act. I don’t recall if the Maori were cannibals (I vaguelly recall they were), but there were definitely cannibals in the area when warriors were painted like that.

Similarily, would someone who’d chisled his teeth to points scare you? It doesn’t actually make him any more dangerous per se…