Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

The new Star Wars doesn’t. Or at least that’s what they say. This is a newer development. It’s EA, so they may challenge it back on in there.

Nice - thanks for the heads up! I see your point about star wars and a few other games up for pre-order. No season pass. I wonder what magic money making system they have in place instead then?

Oh God, that’s what I worry about. I’m sure it’s micro-transactions or some other horrible crap.

You’re changing the goal posts. You assertion wasn’t that Andromeda was a game that got whole hearted support. No, it was the the game was a consensus “shitshow”, an assertion for which you have yet to provide any evidence. Sure you can provide reviews that trash the game, just as I can provide reviews that praise the game. But individual reviews say nothing as to what the “consensus” opinion on the game is. That was your word, not mine. As I noted the PC Metacritic score was 72%. Of 39 reviews noted, only 5 were worse that 70%. The consensus instead seems to be that the game was mediocre, but that is not the same as a “shitshow”. If you are aware of any site that collates and summarizes reviews that support your assertion, I’d love to see it :)

I think the youtube videos provided the impression that it was a shitshow, and the metacritic provided additional evidence that it was a mediocre shitshow to boot.

I guess my liking the game (in total - looking past the flaws and weird facial expressions) is because of playing Andromeda first, and THEN the first three games. I didn’t have the wonderful world of Mass Effect stuck in the back of my mind, but rather played them because Andromeda got me interested.

I guess I can see why it was a disappointment if I’d play it last instead.

Still - sticking to the idea that Bioware could make a beautiful and interesting prequel. Mass Effect: First Contact.

I think you would have still enjoyed Andromeda. It’s got its core gameplay loop down really well, and it’s a nice sprawling space opera and there aren’t many out there.

Well, as long as we’re talking about hypotheticals, I would have to say this doesn’t interest me much at all. You’re talking first contact with the Turians? But we already know how that plays out, it kicks off a war between civilizations which was ended by the other Citadel civilizations getting everybody to talk. That kind of takes the wind out of the sails for that story, personally. Then again a hell of a lot of people paid to see Titanic (myself included) and we all know how that one turned out.

For me, assuming the Andromeda storyline is getting sloughed off like a snake’s old skin, I guess I’d say let’s return to the Milky Way after a certain period of time. Time enough to start seeing everyone rebuild, start to return to the stars and try to connect with the other planets out there. Since ME3’s retcon (shit, now I’m doing it) allowed the mass relays to survive the reaper conflict, it should be possible to travel between stars again. Might be cool to have an element of rebuilding involved, putting the pieces back together.

I see your point, but I raise you with: I’d enjoy playing human race discovering Mass Effect Relays, Prothean artifacts on Mars, and all that rapid development. Yes - we DO have the backstory, but wouldn’t make for at least a nice little game in between whatever they need to cook up? I’d like it. The story has kind of been told, but we could still make for a cool and heroic little pre-Shepard.

I like your idea as well though. But I released the cure for genophage so… Milky Way would probably be overrun by Krogans by now.

All right, now I’ll concede that you have a point. Maybe if we narrow down the scope to the point where mankind discovers mass relays, and how they deal with that, culminating with first contact with freaky-looking bug aliens.

To sidestep to another game, I really loved the opening cinematic for the first Destiny - the astronauts who climb out of a lander onto Mars, carrying assault rifles and trudging across the red landscape until they climb a hill and finally see the Traveler. That was so cool. Something like that, or maybe like the monolith discovery in 2001, would make a hell of a game. Or another game that I don’t really care too much for, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, that involved discovering new technology that nobody understood and getting wrapped up in crazy alien conflicts. Stuff like that is pretty interesting to me.

This is heading to Origin Access.

I’ll pay $5 for a month to play Andromeda, Titanfall 2, and try out The SIms 4.

I’ll have to check out Destiny.
Yeah I also like that feeling of descovering secrets and all that jazz (which is why I still love all the Uncharted games, even though it’s basically just a shooter game if you take away the story).
But yeah, Andromeda might be dead, but however good a game Anthem might be, Mass Effect will be missed. I hope, hope, hope they make something more that hits home. There are still stories to tell!

I think a prequel would be good. You could discover artifacts and some planets. The Shanxi thing and the formation of proto-Cerberus from that. You could give the player the choice to follow Cerberus path or Citadel path.

And Andromeda is now available on Xbox One through EA Access! If you’ve held off playing and use the service on this platform, I’d say you owe yourself a look.

Hey look, we’re getting that Quarian DLC after all! In easy-to-chew book format!

A book! I can’t play that.

Or can you…

Nope, I checked. You can’t.

Maybe it’s a choose your own adventure?

Licensed fiction? Blah.

…wait, by Catherynne M. Valente? Holy shit what.

If you don’t know her, she is a) really fucking good and b) is about the last person on earth I would have expected to do licensed space opera fiction. The closest thing to science fiction I’ve ever read by her is Radiance, which is an incredibly nested, allegorical work about cinema made across the solar system in the style of 20s movies with a 1920s pulp understanding of planets.