Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

Agreed. I gave up half-way through and it was because of the story not the shooting.

They could have done anything with the story. Maybe the ark ships arrive 1000 years after they are supposed to, maybe the Citadel created the scurge, etc… Nope, we get a hammy good guys saving other good guys from bad guys thing. Throw in some AI is evil, and more space drugs are bad, mmkay.

The design of the vault sequences is really indicative of the whole game. Every one is exactly the same. No flavor attached to individual vaults. Even Assassins Creed games have different dungeon layouts that do different things to stop you from collecting a foozle. If you are making an open world “go collect these things” game, which I would argue this is, there needs to be a few set pieces that inspire.

Ugggg. This game really could have been anything. Instead, we get a terrible story with poorly drawn characters, playing out across a generic landscape with loot that literally says “Mark 4” on it.

But the jet packs were cool.

Every vault is different. I don’t know where you’re getting this.

EA didn’t see a way to push loot boxes in single player RPGs, thus Mass Effect and Dragon Age have to die. Anthem is the new Bioware. Expect copious loot boxing, despite what happened with Star Wars.

That was the impression I initially got reading this thread around release time. So i walked away for a year or so. But ME:A was on sale on Xbox Live for less than £6 last week (same price on PSN this week, I believe).

And so I figured it’s got to be worth a try for a handful of dollars. I’ll say that the game’s story doesn’t start very well.

I’m well behind the criticism here. But even expecting uncanny valley weirdness and stilted dialogue, it’s a pity that the game throws that scene where everybody seems to be smiling somewhat manically after a sad event and follows it up with the “my face is tired” line not long after. What a start.

That said, I’ve completed my exploration of the Nexus and am about to embark on a mission. I’m sure I’ll spend less time being distracted by the character models and dialogue there.

And I’m pretty sure I’ll have quite a bit of fun exploring our new home.

I don’t really care. I’m glad you like it tho. Have fun!

I’d be interested in reading more impressions as you go along, @Wendelius. Curious to hear a one-year-later point of view.

I hope you do! Back when I played it last year, I just borrowed it from a friend, so I’ll actually pick it up now on sale and am looking forward to play it again. I really enjoyed this game.

Yeah I keep meaning to start up an insanity run. Soon.

Will do. I’ve also been wondering how the game would feel a year later, knowing what we know about the reception it got, the canned DLC and with tempered expectations.

That said, I don’t think any of it is much of a consideration while I’m playing. I’ve been enjoying getting to know my crew and now will get to see what they are capable of.

Let’s show those doubters at the Nexus what a Pathfinder can achieve!

Just picked this up at Toys R Us for $8 (Xbox One), looking forward to playing it after I finish ME 3 which I finally started a few days ago. Didn’t want to read the whole thread - did Bioware ever “fix” the face models in this?

They added some shading to the eye textures to make them less “do you want to see something scary” as well as some other texture work.

But otherwise, no. Just embrace the madness you $8 has bought.

I have about 20 hours into the game and some of the face stuff still bothers me, mostly the eyes of some characters.

I am enjoying the game but it is quite a bit different in scale from previous ME games. I have run into plainly unkillable enemies that I am going to have to return to. I am also not real happy with the save protocol, you are pretty much at the mercy of the game for saves when in battle. And if you die you have to replay quite a bit.

So I finished the games main plot line last night, after about 80 hours or so. I did enjoy the game, sure it was Mass Effect Skyrim but that didn’t bother me once I got used to it. And as for the facial graphics, I got used to that as well. Some were worse than others, granted.

I found the game to be very Mass Effect in gameplay, in the treatment of characters, in the way the Nexus compared to the Citadel etc.

Sure there were locations that looked like other locations, and sure you often fought in areas that reminded you of other areas, but I would only say that the same thing happens in Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, Dragon Age etc.

I did hate the decryption stuff, and eventually found myself going to wiki’s for quick answers to them.

Finally, I almost always play this type of game in a self imposed hard mode, mainly because it takes me awhile to figure out (or care about) the methods of upgrading stuff, or researching and developing new stuff. I always play as a soldier and with this game I eventually figured out that with a good snipers rifle and shotgun I was pretty deadly, although I was also pretty squishy and in big fights spent some time running away to make sure I didn’t die, since yea, it is all about me.

I picked this up for a couple of bucks at Toys T Us a few weeks back, can’t wait to play after all the positive feedback on here. But I need to finish ME3 first.

very interested in hearing that 2 small teams have been assigned 2 a new Mass Effect and a New Dragon Age.

Small teams? I’m glad for new games, but small teams seems odd. Which makes me think they are going for non online traditional game maybe (hopefully). Some speculation is that it will be a choose your own adventure style like the walking dead series, but with some combat. Which I think would be brilliant, maybe a prequel?

Not really. It’s customary for even large games to have very small teams in the beginning, when they’re mostly designing the game in broad strokes and doing some preproduction work (designs for characters, environments, props), and so on. It doesn’t make sense to put 100+ people on a game when you don’t even know what you’re going to do yet.

Its is good to know that the Mass Effect license isn’t dead. I thought it was after Andromeda.

This made my whole week <3 <3 <3

Can you advise where you heard that? I am always in for more Mass Effect.