Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

It was a bit of both: part joke, part passive aggression. I don’t think either of our feelings about the game had any impact on the success or failure of the game. I just felt like you got really bothered and had to post something negative every time I posted something positive, as if to keep balance in the thread.

I’ve certainly been on that side of things, so I don’t begrudge you for it. I was on that side in the original Baldur’s Gate, and partially for the original Dragon’s Age.

From the article:

“Stage 3 will focus on the bleeding edge of modding like new missions and gameplay elements.”

Exactly how is that different than mods in Fallout 3, NV, and 4 that add new missions or areas, or put words in the mouths of existing characters? For example, there is a mod for Fallout 4 that lets your wife live, and gives her dialogue. There are other mods that are virtual DLC’s. I don’t see this ME mod as being any different. Can you further explain?

Derivative works such as mods can only be distributed with the approval of the copyright owner. All of your examples are Bethesda games, and Bethesda is known for at various times, tolerating, encouraging, and attempting to monetize end-user mods. EA, on the other hand, does not have a reputation for full tolerance for end-user mods.

A little nosing around turned up some info indicating EA was ok with Sims mods as long as they weren’t being sold. But I also saw some complaints about Origin bans for modding ME3 from 2012. Which they can do under the licensing terms. Other reports have them allowing SP ME3 mods as long as they don’t affect MP. Here’s hoping EA can tell the 2 apart.

But ultimately, it’s up to copyright holder to decide whether to act to bar distribution of a mod, which is why things like fan translation patches for Japanese-only games are in a legal grey area. And there’s no obligation that they be fair or consistent about it.

So they can stop the mod, but evidence is pretty mixed as to whether they would. Not quite the alarmist scenario you were portraying them :)

Likely the case, I didn’t recall using the word “probably,” but I sure did.

Good morning! Here, have a hand grenade.

Edit: oh, I just noticed it’s a year old, but it showed up in my news feed today. Oh well, I still enjoyed it.

tenor

Good ol’ whatshisname. I can set my watch by you.

Mass Effect series from worst to best (IMO):

Mass Effect Andromeda.
Mass Effect 1.
Mass Effect 3.
Mass Effect 2.

Would love to hear your opinions.

That exact list, but inverted.

I like where your head’s at, Arsalan. Leave room at the top for the next trilogy. But in truth my rankin would look very similar - if rank 1 and Andromeda as very close at the top, with 2 and 3 close behind but definitely below those two.

1st: ME1
2nd: ME3
3rd: ME2

Andromeda - TBD, only played 12 hours, I would put it 3rd at this point

I think the top of his list was his worst.

Oh, then he’s (or she’s, whichever) a crazy person. So they’ll probably fit in fine around here.

This is my exact list also. Crazy!

I definitely put ME1 as my favorite. But that’s because the narrative is strongest, and I love the true space opera feel.

ME2 has my favorite companions, and the Vanguard is a blast. Pinball of death, away!

Best to Worst indeed.

Mass Effect Andromeda.
Mass Effect 1.
Mass Effect 3.
Mass Effect 2.

I can’t really rate them tat way, it feels unfair.

Andromeda was the game I started off with, and thought I was the kind of person who wouldn’t enjoy sci-fi games. But I really enjoyed it and liked it, which brought me to the enitre ME-series I hadn’t even heard about.

ME1 was kind of… ugly and weird, and I don’t really remember much about it other than how boring and repetative it was driving around on the planets.
ME2 was… GREAT. It just sucked me in entirely and had me in its grips.
ME3 too, though it was more a cry-party where I was ridiculously sad to have the series and all those characters come to an end.

So I have a hard time at least placing Andromeda in there, and deciding if I like ME2 or ME3 best, but ME1 is at least the one I liked the least.
=)

Mass Effect Andromeda is like a direct-to-video sequel. It’s The Little Mermaid 2 of Mass Effect.

Worst to Best:

Mass Effect Andromeda - I cannot say enough terrible things about this game.
Mass Effect 3 - My god! Does no one remember the ending?
Mass Effect 1 - Excellent. Especially if you count for tech/feature inflation.
Mass Effect 2 - Flawless