Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

Jeez, it’s like you people hate freedom or something. I bet Rebel Assault is your favorite Star Wars game too.

I do my best to forget the ending. When I succeed, it really is a fantastic game.

I like the first game a lot in terms of world-building and some cool old school RPG ideas, but I hate the inventory management hell.

Well, no, since they’d changed it by the time I played it.

The original ME3 ending is awful, for sure, but it’s maybe 20 minutes of a much, much bigger game. If it were up to 1’s narrative standards (and also consistent with 1’s worldbuilding) it wouldn’t necessarily knock the game down that much for me. As it is I think it’s still mechanically dramatically superior to 2 and while its finest moments owe a lot to characters established in 2, it also feels a lot more focused and narratively propulsive than 2’s frankly terrible main plot. So I definitely rate it well ahead of 2.

Hey I’m crazy person just because I posted my opinion on ranking Mass Effect series? The top one is the worst and the lowest is best.

Oh no, not at all, opinions are wonderful things. Except yours, yours are awful.

How are they awful?

Why they’re all backwards! Andromeda is worst and ME2 is best? That didn’t even make sense!

So you like Andromeda more?

Isn’t there a fixed version of 3’s original ending?

And I have to say that Mr Dive^3 is crazy. ME2 May have had a main story that was pants, but has some of the best character moments and side stories.

Also Vanguard. Pinball. Of. Death.

Than ME2? Yes, definitely, and mainly for two reasons: ME2 is strictly critical path with virtually no exploration, which I find nonsensical in a game that takes place in space, and second because it’s pretty much a side story that has very little impact on the greater story. We don’t even see collectors again! And who the hell thought working with Cerberus was a good idea? I could do this all day.

So OK, Mr I Love ME2, why do you think it’s best? And why is Andromeda worst?

Because I loved all the characters of Mass Effect 2, the enemies were great, loved the story and the soundtracks were so much better than Andromeda. For Andromeda, I really liked the combat, much better than the previous games but everything but else was inferior.

But what interested you about the story? That’s the weakest part of ME2. I’ll buy the characters but then again they all make a return appearance, provided you didn’t get them killed, in ME3. Also, I turn all video game music off and crank the Sex Pistols, so I have no idea about that.

Yes :)

I’ll help you, dive^3.

I can’t rank them, that’s unfair.

Andromeda was excellent, but people formed their opinions because ‘facial animations’ long before the game came out, so obviously it sucked. (It did not, it’s right up at the top). Whole new galaxy? New cast of characters? New plot? Who cares, butter-faces!

ME1 is obviously where we all started…well, I would hope. Classic Bioware joint. The 9 or 10 times I’ve played through it must mean something.

ME2 was totally different to me. Hated the whole ‘hub-nature’ of it. The first half hour or so was good storytelling. The rest of the game was literally ‘do these missions so that everyone doesn’t die at the end’. Motivate me with plot hooks along the way, not all at once at the beginning. Oh sure they did the little cutscene in the middle with Ashley. Because I mean, obviously everyone killed off Carth…er whatever, in the first game. The whole Collector thing was messy…because.

ME3 was a hell of a thing. It felt like I was terrified that Earth was screwed. The Reapers are legit scary. Where’d the Collectors go? Don’t care. The rest of the game was amazing. Maybe not the last 20 minutes. But chilling with all my old gang in the Citadel while the Reapers are running rampant and we can’t do jack about it? Awesome. Plots that give you the chills? ‘Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.’ Waaaah why would you do this to me, Bioware? They did improve the ending quite a bit, but it was never going to please everyone. Even a shiny happy everyone-smile-for-the-camera ending wherein the Reapers were beaten and humanity was the BEST wouldn’t have been ‘good’.

So basically I love them all except 2. It’s alright but nothing I’d purposefully look forward to playing again.

A sequel to Andromeda, though? I can only hope.

It’s embarrassing to admit this, but when Mass Effect gave me the choice to save one while the other will be fine, I picked Ashley to live, of course. But then, they reverse it, and give you the choice again, saying the one you picked is now okay and the other one is in trouble. I was just afraid to look indecisive or sexist if I changed my mind, so stayed the course, and ended up letting Ashley die as a result. Gah. The game got me. Still a memorable moment in Mass Effect for me because I ended up saving the wrong person.

So Ashley was dead in Mass Effect 2 and 3 for me. And Bioware made damned sure I regretted my decision every single time that dude opened his mouth. Bioware! Why you gotta rub it in so hard?

Dive x3, I got your back!

Andromeda was a much needed shot in the arm of that by-the-third-game-stale and overrated series.

Actually, it’s in my backlog and I haven’t played it but I think ME 1 is completely overrated (just like the first Dragon Age which was a decent game but not the second coming of Baldur’s Gate).

I loved ME2, and that was no masterpiece, either, but damn it had something that the first game lacked…oh yeah, IT WAS FUN.

ME3 I started a few months ago and making progress very slowly.

So I guess that makes Andromeda, my 3rd favorite in the series because no way it could be as boring as the first or have anything as clunky and tedious as those Mako rounds around the planet, I don’t even remember what for.

You haven’t played it, but you think it’s overrated. I’m not sure what to make of this.

All I can say is that when you finally get to it, try to keep an open mind. It’s really good Relayer! It’s just that you need to lay a foundation before the story can get it’s tendrils into you later in the game.

Hey! We can agree on this at least.

I just really struggle to understand how anyone could find ME2 fun. Great characters, absolutely, still a cool world, most of the recruitment and loyalty missions have something going on, and Lair of the Shadow Broker turns out to be a winner all around. But the actual mechanics were so bland and unrewarding. Like very thin shooter gruel.

(I guess, based on my time with ME3’s multiplayer mode, Vanguard charging might have been fun for several dozen hours but they were pretty pointless in 1 so I never played it in the later games. Aside from Andromeda, of course.)