Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

Marbles would have been far more navigable.

Newest Amdromeda Initiative briefing gives you a first look at your sexy, sexy romanceable human companions. Although, it has been confirmed that you can’t romance your twin you perverts.

No doubt this will inspire outrage from somebody. No idea who, that just seems to be how things go these days.

Anyway apparently there was a cinematic trailer released this morning as well, but I can’t watch it just yet ( don’t really want to watch in my phone). Here’s hoping that it turned out pretty darn good!

Here it is:

Is it just me or is it weird that in such a politically hyper sensitive time the plot of Andromeda seems to be going to alien worlds, killing all the big native wildlife there and then colonizing it?

That lip interlocking.

I’m sure there will be justification for killing the “bad” guys and taking their stuff.

Spaaaaaaace boning!

That reminded me of recent Marvel movies, and not in good ways.

Boring villain, forced romantic subplot (Natasha/Banner), “we don’t need an army, we have a Hulk, I mean Krogan”. Okay, that last one isn’t so terrible.

That trailer is a lot better than the first one but I still cringed a few times when they were speaking. I can’t shake the feeling that their target audience is in the 18-22 segment.

You weren’t moved to to join up? There’s a bunk with your name on it!

Is this going to be Published by EA? In other words, an origin only game?

On pc yes. Origin only.

I’ll be in my bunk.

I know I shouldn’t, but occasionally it feels good to drink from the big 'ol jug of hype.

The main character was jarring for me in the trailer.

It felt like i was watching some comedy action movie where the main character is some useless idiot who just keeps making wise cracks and getting lucky in fights. He does not look heroic at all. Also the Asari looks like a clown. The character design in general just feels off and i have a hard time taking it seriously.

Maybe you can fix the main character by modifying them yourself but it still feels like a bad sign that the default is this bad.

Example:

Are you comparing box art to in-game assets in a YouTube video?

What’s you point? This seems completely reasonable and representative of how the final game will feel.

But seriously, based on the trailers for this thing, I am not at all interested. The whole tone and theme of it seems both odd and problematic.

I’m not thrilled with the trailers either, but I’m not sure what your pictures are meant to illustrate.

I’d be happier if this didn’t look to be setting up your bog-standard Bioware RPG storyline but I am starved for the type of content Mass Effect offers to look past it. I’d like to think they were taking this whole “we’re not soldiers” thing a little further but of course there’s going to be lots of guns and combat - how else do you structure advancement in a video game these days? But as I’ve said no doubt a hundred times, give me a ship and a star to steer her by and I’m pretty happy.

One of the things that I did like about Mass Effect was that they used the fact that you are a military officer to avoid a bunch of tired Bioware tropes. The fact that this skewed the game towards combat based resolutions only bothered me because the combat in ME1 was so bad.