Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

I’m hearing that Andromeda is going for $3.99 right now on Origin. I realize this game has a contentious background but it’s easily worth that price and your time if you haven’t tried it. There aren’t many games out there that scratch that old Mass Effect itch.

Thanks for the quick summary! :D

Just started playing. First time I’ve played a ME gamer on PC. Played the others on 360. Enjoying it so far. Usual ME gameplay. Looks pretty. No sign of derpface.

Thanks for posting, I was hoping to hear from you guys. Let us know how things go as you get further along.

Don’t get too caught up in doing sidequests.

Hey divedivedive, I put a solid 7 hours into the game yesterday…

I didn’t use the default characters models. Something about them didn’t appeal to me. For the record I did use the default McDude Broham in the trilogy. (no femshep, no regrets) I spent a bit of time customizing based off one of the presets. It was interesting how they generated the father.

I like the premise…you’re a pioneer space frontiersman exploring a new galaxy and stuff goes awry.

Gameplay and scale wise it is the anti-Mass Effect 2. If Mass Effect 2 is strictly mission-based with linear cover shooter arena combat beginning to end…this is a big bloated exploration game with huge open maps, crafting, research, terraforming? homesteading?, etc. It is basically what they were kinda doing half-ass on the side in Mass Effect 1…only now it is the sole focus of the game.

Storywise spoilers for the first planet: I just entered the “pyramid mines” and turned on that alien shit inside.

Things I like:
-The contextual cover system.

I’ve always hated “press X to snap to cover” systems. You live in two completely different and shitty worlds separated by a button press…one without cover where you die fast to all bullet fire, and one where you feel glued to an object and are unable to escape quickly…

-Jetpacks! Every game is improved with jetpacks!

That is all for now.

You got it, Andromeda is way more wide open that ME 2 & 3, and kind of delivers on the promise that the first game offered. I love it mainly for that. Plus the jetpacks.

The new Tomb Raider games also has this, and it’s such a natural evolution of cover based TPS games, that I’m going to be sorely disappointed if Gears 5 doesn’t have this (but I don’t expect it because hardcore fans will go apeshit if so).

As for Andromeda, Raycevick just completed his “X Years Later” series for the Mass Effect games, going through ME:A, and it’s great as usual:

Yep. And then you get to slowly exchange fire with an enemy that’s also ducked behind cover and probably has 20x as much HP as they should and…argh. I hate that sort of cover shooting and was not at all pleased that ME2 switched to it. Andromeda is so much better on that front.

OMG! BioWare stole this from ELEX!!1

Well I can say Origins cloud save sucks. I am hours behind loading the game up on a different machine…to no surprise.

So, I just got a new computer for christmas, after 10 years with the old machine. I’m wondering if I should get ME Andromeda.

The answer is yes, you should! And if the sale for $3.99 is still going I’ll even buy you a copy. Happy Day After Boxing Day!

Ah man, you don’t have to do that. What are the DLCs like? Are there a lot?

I am going to grab the DLCs for Mass Effect 2, and play through that again. I’m on the fence whether I’ll grab the DLC’s for Mass Effect 3. That’s a bit pricey.

The DLCs are well, uh, nonexistent. If you play the game and wonder what happened to the certain plot points that did not get resolved then you’re in luck! There are a few books put out that I think wrap them up. I bought a couple but haven’t read them yet, so I can’t really comment on them.

Well, it will be a few days before I set up my new computer. Too much going on in finally life, too many files to move over.

I think the DLC that kind of provides a nice bit of closure is free, IIRC. But I don’t remember what it is called. It is also well worth the time to DL it and play it.

Citadel. Pure fan- service frosting with some surprisingly tough fights. Three thumbs up.

Citadel is definitely not free. Probably was talking about the extended cut ending DLC.

I played Citadel and I usually don’t buy DLC separately, but I might have in that case. I do remember the extended ending and yea, that was free.