Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

Question: sometimes when I interact with something I get a little popup like I’ve added a codex entry for some sort of log, but I can’t find any such entry for the life of me. What gives?

I’d love to know the answer to this as well. I found it very perplexing.

After reading some horror stories about scanning I’m pleasantly surprised at what I’ve seen so far. I do wish that the zoom in animation would be a little faster but overall the process is much shorter compared to previous games.

So far I’m digging the game but performance and visuals are all over the place. Lighting on Nexus is really bad, as are textures, colors, brightness, contrast - and then I got to the Tempest and the game looked more like how I’d expect a 2017 title to look. As for performance - my fps drops to around 25 at random during closeups of people’s faces - and considering how low the details on some of them are I really don’t understand why this is happening, it’s almost as if the game’s rendering 10 miles of terrain behind what the player sees.

Or you know don’t use crude locker room lingo in mixed company is another way you could look at it.

I posted a work around for the save issue somewhere above. And yes, it sucks, disagreement here.

One of my gripes is the lighting is often horrible. Sometimes characters faces are just so light, you’d think they were Moses after he came down the mountain with the tablets. Other times they just have terrible shadows and they look barely human (at least the humans don’t).

The workaround doesn’t apply (sadly). This isn’t a priority mission and changing the active quest doesn’t enable saving. I’m pretty sure I’m just in a large “combat zone” that never stops being flagged as a combat zone from the first checkpoint onward.

The worst lighting issue I’ve seen is opening doors to structures and the inside is almost entirely pitch black until I move inside.

Yeah graphics wise it is all over the place, Addison is a pretty important NPC and her face looks like it is imported from ME1. And Liam’s torso looks like it is from a Ken doll. Honestly I expect (near) photo realistic texture in this day and age.

But there are things I really like. That main menu background is just beautiful. And I really dig that “press space to start” pun. And the unexpectedness of quest is just great. One minute you are doing some random go-here-do-that quest, next minute you are fighting giant mechanical monster.

I’m playing Ryder-sis rather than Ryder-bro and her voice acting is reasonably good. Default Ryder-sis looks barely 20 though. The Krogan is again my favourite NPC so far (because the others are so bland, the stereotypical tough guy is the least bland).

Got a quick question that I don’t think gets into spoiler territory: as I mentioned, I got the atmosphere thingy going on Eos, so radiation is much less of a problem. But it’s not gone, just lowered. I was doing some sidequests and looking at some waypoints out there, but a few are in hazard level 3 areas - and those just peel off my life support in a matter of seconds. So my question, and you can spoiler tag if you think this is getting into spoiler territory - will Eos ever be totally free of radiation, maybe when I get to 100% viability? Just wondering if I should put off some of these sidequests until later.

So…uh…PB is actually charming? The more I play this game the more I’m staring to think that someone in EA marketing deliberately misrepresented this game to make it look more negative.

I’ll just PM you for safety.

The Wrex clone is cool… Mainly because Wrex was awesome.

Yeah, the Klingons are always cool. Even when they’re called Krogans.

I think we’re just looking at the B or C team at Bioware (Montreal), as they have 3 studios. The A team (Edmonton, who did ME1-3 and the Dragon Age games) are working on new IP.

Montreal assisted on those games since they formed in 2009, but Andromeda is their first full game.

Krogan are way cooler than Klingons.

Agreed. Klingons are pretty cool, but that whole honor-bound samurai thing they have is kind of dull. The krogan, who are not only pretty much just naked aggression but also self aware enough to have some humor about themselves, are actually way cooler.

I am not a fan of the Krogan race. Or any “jungle warrior space race”, really. The krogan in particular look unpractical, large body small arms. They would not be good fighters in the real world.

Wrex would be a awesome name for a Oil company.

Yeah you’re not thinking about this clearly. Have you seen the forehead on the krogan? It’s obvious they just headbutt their opposition into the dirt.

I believe nature selected them to be killed off, thus not good enough. Also, Klingons are awesome, and their honor is counter-balanced by how completely corrupt their government is.