Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

I was thinking maybe it was a certain number of off-world quests/plot progress/maybe some of both. Hard to say for sure.

I don’t mind the voice acting for Addison. It’s not great, but there’s a lot worse out there (even in the game for some of the smaller NPCs). But her face - it’s like everything from her nose up is botoxed and can’t be moved.

Also, every time I finish talking to Drack, I keep expecting him to end the conversation with ‘Shepard.’

I’m not quite sure I follow. Most maps tend to be very open – was that also the case in DAI (which I never played)? As someone who played the previous ME games (but not the DA ones), I’m really enjoying the wide open spaces of Andromeda.

Next time you want to get to an objective track how many times you turn back because you hit a steep incline that you can’t get over and how long the path to the objective ends up being. Obviously this won’t always be the case but it’s common enough that it gets annoying after a while.

I think I’m finally getting the hand of the squad. When I was auto leveling them, no points were going into defense. I put points into defense and they started dying less. Just finished Eos (the first part, I can see the map is way huger), and my team actually helped.

I can’t understand why they took away the ability to give your team orders, though. How are you supposed to set up combos?

First you cast incinerate, then overload. Seriously 99% of my combos are my own followups. On their own my fire-teammates either sit around and occasionally spray useless regular gunfire at things or else they charge insanely into the middle of combat where I may not even be able to see them anymore. Sometimes they can be effective that way, but they’re not helping to make combos or focus on my target or anything like that.

I have two party members with primers. Every so often i will detonate one of their primers, but it is rare. Peebee is kind of nice because she yells something distinct after using that ability. Other squad mates i have used have not though (to my knowledge).

95% of my combos are entirely based on me or my direct constructs (engineer).

Yeah, Peebee will go “3, 2, 1 …” to let you know the primer is coming. Not sure if anyone else does.

Well, she does tell you herself that her face is tired of everything. ;)

Does Bioware seriously expect us to manually look for those items in Tasks quests folder that are not marked on the map? Have they learned nothing from DAI?

her facial animation is broken. with her eyes facing down but her head and other movements herky-jerky.

The thing is, you get jumped by 10 guys and you can only keep track of the ones you are attacking. So I just detonate my own primers and let the AI do its thing. The good thing is all your squadmates are much more tanky than you (they have at least double your health+shield) so you can just cut them loose and not lose them. The bad thing is the finesse in ME3 is gone, you can’t chain combo after combo against a mini-boss.

Oh I just realise there is no level cap in this game. Oh great/crap.

my squad certainly dies on insane. Although much less often once i got access to squad mates that were specifically tanky and built them to be even more tanky. And i’m an engineer with squad level survival boosts.

I am having such a huge time with this game, I always hate having to put it down and look forward to my next expedition. I’ve been to several planets at this point, having cleared up a few problems for the angara and fought what I guess I’d describe as my first boss which was pretty fun! (I’m not a big fan of bosses in general). I’m having a good time roleplaying my Ryder - he flirts with pretty much anything that moves and will accept a drink from anyone who offers - even if it’s from a species he’s just met, and his teammates suggest scanning it first to be sure it won’t kill him. I’m liking the little faces Ryder pulls after he tries a drink.

I am back at Eos now, just to see what’s going on there. And I do now see that the radiation is drastically reduced even, for the most part, gone. There are just a few areas that continue to be irradiated, and that may just stay that way. We’ll see. Thanks for everyone’s info about that.

At this point, it’s probably easier for me to point out stuff I don’t like than what I do. I’m not wild about driving around and being prompted for mining, as lots of others described in more detail than I plan to. I don’t like especially looking for the “best” spot to drop a mining probe, so I usually just take whatever is good enough, which is just wherever I get the ping notification. Whatever.

I don’t really get research and crafting. Going after basically what I consider the essentials right now - put some upgrades on the Nomad, made some upgraded armor and weapons. I’m picking up quests left and right and generally end up fulfilling them due to my exhaustive exploration. I don’t mind, I’m enjoying meeting all these people and finding out more about the galaxy. This is too much fun, and unless it whiffs badly, will probably be my favorite Mass Effect.

I’ve read that if you use the movement keys that you use to tell your squadmates where to move to, but instead point them at an enemy, they will attack that enemy. Then they use their powers which you can combo. Don’t know if this is true or not.

It’s true. Aim at an enemy and use a squad command key. An icon of that squadmate will show above the enemy showing they are targeting them. I don’t know if this makes combos any easier, though.

Nah, keep pretending to be alternately dumb and offended.

Which skills are you using as engineer? I just switched to Incinerate / Cloak / Energy Drain but haven’t tested it out. Previously I used Overload, Turret and ED and got tired of having to resummon the turret all the time.

Also, does anyone know just how much around 20-30 damage reduction actually matters, especially on higher difficulties?

Always such a gentleman.

So the combat in the game it’s like ME2 with jetpacks and no ability to control your teammates?

Well, it’s easier than them attacking random enemies. At least you can coordinate attacks and watch for opportunities. I also read that they also give unique verbal cues when they are going to use their powers.