Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

It’s an awesome sign.

“My god … it’s full of stars.”

If it’s like previous Mass Effect games, then YAY!

If it’s like Dragon Age Inquisition, then BOO!

It sounds from an IGN article I saw that this was supposed to be out in October 2016, so early this year doesn’t surprise me. Just in time for the first week of sales or so to be in the Q1 section. :)

BioWare hasn’t impressed me much with their ham-fisted attempts to being “cinematic” for a really long time (ever?) and the last game I truly fell completely in love with was probably Origins, though I did enjoy ME2, 3, and DA:Inquisition enough to complete them. I expect more of the same here, but it will be an enjoyable (but not amazing) more of the same.

Ooops, I seem to have tripped and hit the preorder button. Silly me, one should never preorder anything on Origin. Last time I did that was SimCity 2013.

…I sure hope I didn’t jinx anything.

What if it’s both? YOO! I mean, BAY!

We’ve found our scapegoat guys!

Unsure. It’s good in the sense that further delays might have indicated… issues. But it’s bad because there were some fairly troubling animation flaws that I’m unconvinced have had time to be ironed out.

This is a weird thing for the official Mass Effect Twitter account to post:

“Remember the worst animation bit in our last trailer? Here it is in gif form!”

I still don’t see what the big deal is with that animation. Is it that the smile never really leaves her face?

Yes, and everything else is bad. Why is the gun takeaway so damn slow? Why is her face stuck in some weird semi-smile? Why are the Krogan guards just standing there?

Keep in mind that BioWare even said the facial animation in that bit wasn’t what they intended for the final game.

So it’s odd to see the official Twitter person using that very bit in a Tweet just before the launch date announcement.

It was either that or the crafting UI.

For me it’s mostly the face, with a little of how it looks she takes the gun. 90% that fucking clown face though. I’m going to have nightmares tonight.

Some footage and UI shown off.

What I find crazy (and fascinating) are the skills and skill trees. Just the one main branch of skills alone (Tech in this example) had 10 or 12 skills, each with their own skill tree! And the skill trees even had some directions that had exclusive “branches” it looked like.

I thought ME3 had those exact same skill branches.

Anyway, it looks a little low-rent. If the story and characters aren’t up to par then I expect gamerz to complain about this one.

That many? And actual trees? It has been yesrs though, I may have forgotten. I don’t recall this much variety though?

Yeah, as @TimJames pointed out, it’s the same as in ME3. First 3 ranks are single choice and feature bonuses like increased aoe, recharge, cooldown speed, etc. The other three ranks offer a choice that plays a rather large role in how your character handles - varies between classes though, there are only so many ways you can play a soldier, but for Adepts and Vanguards it makes a lot of difference.

Yeah, after @TimJames comment I did some image searching and sure enough, it’s just about the exact same system. Disappointing, especially as I was hoping they were going to mix up the “BioWare Forumla” a little and it seems less and less likely. Well, I’ll try to keep an open mind - it’s not like there is an abundance of sci-fi RPG’s out there for me to pick and choose from!

Isn’t this supposed to be set in a new galaxy or something along those lines? The robot enemy’s in the clip Scott posted sound very like the Geth from the old games, at least from what I remember of the old games.

Yeah, it’s a whole new galaxy with the same aliens, tech, and BioWare-isms.