Mass Effect Andromeda - I'm not Commander Shepard and this is my favorite sequel

You can have multiple profiles saved and switch between them at the tap of a button. (Though it does start cooldowns on all your new skills.)

Really? Wow, I wonder where they’re hiding all this in the interface?

You’re going to want some of the passives. They are very strong.

You will also probably want some of the passives in the combat tree, even if you specialize in biotics and/or tech. Some of them are also very strong and add a lot of toughness.

Unless you don’t use your gun at all (and it is not above 100% capacity), you may want to think about adding some points to support it.

I never found much use to changing your abilities in combat personally. I found i didn’t have enough points until near the end of the game and by then, i was still worried about getting the points to unlock higher level profiles and also putting points in skill trees just for the bonuses to point based passives in that tree.

How you set them up is very obtuse and not user friendly. But this ability has been advertised heavily in the run up to release.

I zoned out of this thread for like 600 unread replies because I decided to ignore this game until it gets fixed, just came in out of boredom and right there I see your post.
Ouch. Gonna wait not just for fixes but also deep sale, so that in case I get bored with it, I can stop playing without feeling guilty of paying lot of money. I already experienced that with DAI which I got fullpriced and could not bother with after 6 hours.

I always played femshep. Jesus christ the voice actor for male shepard is horrible. “TELL ME HOW TO FIND HIM.”

The Ryders are much better. Manshep sounds like they asked a random NFL player to read some lines in a quiet room by himself.

I would not take Murbella as gospel on any game, much less this one.

I mean, nobody’s opinion is being taken as gospel, but some of what he writes does sound like stuff that would bother/bore me immensely. But more important in my decision to wait for deep sale is my own experience with DAI.

Well, I wouldn’t take anyone as gospel for something that is subjective like enjoying a game. I had problems with it but how much you care about those things depends on what you like.

However at the same time I haven’t seen a lot of disagreement about what I said. I’d also be interested to see if more opinions change as they progress in the game as I feel I didn’t really get annoyed by many of the game’s problems until the half way point.

Also I’m not really sure why my opinion would be less valid on this game.

I mean, your opinion is your opinion, but it doesn’t seem like you ever have anything positive to say about a game. And for this one in particular I either categorically disagree with almost every complaint you’ve made or would have recommended, y’know, not playing on Insanity (which seems to be the root cause of several of your biggest issues). But I don’t really want to get into a point by point argument, especially since I’m not as deep into the game and can’t guarantee some things don’t become issues later down the line. I just don’t want to see anyone ignoring a game I’m really digging because of one person’s take.

Seriously, you’re seriously dragging out the you never like any games argument?

Balance still matters even if you play a game on easy. If that was the decider for balance in a game everything would be balanced.

Also FYI I gave the game a 7 out of 10 so I am not saying it is terrible.

I personally don’t care one iota for balance in my SP games as long as they are entertaining and fun. But then I really never play to challenge myself. And hence I will say I disagree with you on most points and will reiterate that after finishing it after 100 Hours and 97% completion this is may favourite Mass Effect since 1. Not even a contest.

Story
More mellow then the original but so much better than 2. Great setup for following games , lots of hints on background that is not explored yet etc. Not edge of your seat storytelling but more interesting then DAI for me.

Combat
At first I thought I would hate the new mobility but ended up loving my jetpack. So much fun.

Skill
While I agree not all skills are equally useful that is a non issue to me as you have such great flexibility due to profiles. You are never locked into a class, which I appreciate. My absolute favourite change from previous iterations.

Inventory/ Weapons
The UI has a lot of issues. But mods should not be in it? What? I like them as they allow me to tailor the weapons more to my play style. I agree I would have liked more varied ones instead of the linear progression we get, but the system itself is good enough. I was crafting new weapons and armors every 5 levels or so, later every 10.

Companions
The worse to middling AI and that you can’t control them anymore is a minus. But I liked them better then most of the extended ME2/3 character roster. Especially the banter between them while on planet or on the ship is great and adds to the sense of them being people not tools.

Exploration
While they did reuse assets I found the world’s worth to explore with some great vistas and situations to be experienced. The boss battles of each planet where varied enough to not be totally duds, the different environments surely helped. Exploring a planet with my wheels was one of my favourite past times.

For me a solid thumbs up.

I’m going to agree with everything ImaTarget said.

Whenever I’m playing, I’m really enjoying the game, which to me is all that matters (to a certain extent). I even started a second playthrough right away to try out femRyder (once again - custom option 9 is the only one that should be used - the one w/ the same hair style as her mother in the flashback). The questing bugs are annoying, but I’m assuming they’ll be fixed at some point.

I’d personally give it an 8/10, and will easily buy whatever the sequel is, and hope it goes a little more into some of the stories that were hinted at in this version. But I realize that won’t be everyone’s experience.

I finished the single player yesterday after clocking in at 70-ish hours. I have some of the non-story tasks left. To some extent I agree with most of Murbella’s points. I really like the game, but it does feel uninspired in many ways. It is good, but not great. But it succeeds in launching a new trilogy. I want to play the sequel.

ME:A is definitely worth playing.

Added praise: This is a game that has held my interest for 70 hours, just counting single player.

That a lot of the areas and remnant ruins are very similar sort of fits the plot, but it does make the game a bit stale. I’d say the sense of exploration is well above 2/10, but after a while it does not have an incredible strong sense of wonderment. The environments are beautiful and varied, but there could have been one fewer desert-ish planet.

The skill system and profiles is interesting, but I felt no urge to mix it up and actually use profiles. That might be because I really like the multiplayer and get the gameplay variation there.

Loot and crafting, like in DA:I, is really one of the big missed opportunities again. I played on normal in order to not draw out the game game - I played DA:i on hard, and that mainly made all the foes more padded, adding not challenge but grind. I get my challenge in gold multiplayer, although that could be a bit more challenging. Maybe it is because of this, but I really felt that loot and weapons didn’t really matter that much. I found a weapon that was ok, and stuck with it, updating my design every now and then. I kept on looting chests and so on throughout the game, even though it felt pretty pointless. Used the deluxe edition +EXP armor the entire game, no other armor seemed that interesting.

Does this really need to be said on a gaming forum? I’m not really familiar with Murbella’s posts (I’m assuming we frequent different topics), but he gave a point by point breakdown of his thoughts, and you “don’t really want to.” It’s one thing to offer a rebuttal, it’s another thing entirely to offer an asterisk.*

*Don’t listen to this guy

@malkav11 has given plenty of positive impressions and some mixed reactions too, throughout this thread. I can see him not wanting to do a final summary yet like Murbella did because he’s only part of the way through the game. I’m in the same boat myself. The 45 hours or so I’ve played, I’ve had a really great time. But in a game that’s probably over 100 hours, maybe I’ll start seeing all those flaws that Murbella is talking about soon enough.

I feel like we’ve had a pretty good little discussion going, we’ve covered the pros and cons and justified why we either like or don’t like Andromeda. I think also, it’s been valuable to discuss the relative merits of the open world design versus a more structured, critical path design (I’m really trying to avoid saying “on rails”, to keep things neutral) of ME2, for instance. I think a person weighing buying the game could do a lot worse than reading this thread.

I have already argued with Murbella in the past. I don’t feel the need to go there in future, and wouldn’t have responded to him at all if someone had not appeared to be basing their decision not to buy a game I think is pretty great so far primarily on his posts. If you really want me to do a similar point by point breakdown of my impressions I imagine I will do that when I finish the game but that’s a ways off.

I’m afraid this feature is completely wasted on NG because there aren’t enough skill points to make use of it. Passives are simply too strong to skip and that’s where bulk of your points will go. Even if you went out of your way to make use of this on NG you’d still need to reach level 40 or so before it would even begin to make sense to use it.

Yeah, I don’t see myself actually using it myself, both because of skill point economy and because I’m simply too lazy. But it’s theoretically an option.