Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered - coming soon?

Had that same feel on my most recent playthrough; ME1 was a balance between fun and frustrating because I knew better was to come. PS - I don’t know if it will help, but I would also suggest playing a class which regularly uses biotics so you can at least mix in some variety to your combat.

ME1 never really felt like a shooter to me; more an RPG with a 3D real-time combat engine - like Morrowind.

Real Time w/Pause like KoToR/BG or turn-based would have been a good fit. I do think the combat in 2 and 3 is fine; nothing special, but solid enough and only hated it in the first game.

If you think the shooting aspect is bad now, you should have played it when it first came out. Legendary Edition made some improvements to the guns and the interface (I believe). Though it’s still not great on that front.

I seem to recall it being better on ME2 for sure. Ultimately, 1 limps through the shooting and 2 makes it fun (albeit, not Gears of War level good).

I mean, if you’re mainly into Mass Effect for the shooting, you really should check out Andromeda. Just sayin’.

But if you’re mainly there for the space opera, nothing tops 1.

You’re not alone, @jsnell

Mass Effect is one of my favorite games of all time, but I doubt I’ll ever buy the legendary edition, and the main reason is their decision to leave the gameplay in ME1 as is. The combat gameplay is just not very good, and it detracts from what is otherwise a fantastic game - to the point that I know if I did buy the game, I’d never make it through the first game to actually replay the trilogy (for the Xth time).

Stick through it, though. As a series, it’s IMO the best CRPG ever.

Wish they had done an actual remake, streamlining the gameplay experience across all three games. I’d - quite seriously - have paid full pricex3 for that.

Imagine a remake featuring all three games as one full seamless game.

I’d rather imagine an entirely new Mass Effect entry personally.

… called Starfield!

If they brought the series-long gameplay in line with Andromeda, sure. If they brought it in line with 2 I would never buy it in a million years.

I started playing ME1 but quit when I got to the part you had to drive the Mako. I just never could get past that.

Mako apologist here, I loved running over planets and launching myself off mountains.

Aw crap, you dudes are going to make me reinstall Mass Effect. Ha, who am I kidding, I could never uninstall Mass Effect!

This is something they DID at least significantly improve in Legacy.

This was the worst part of the game for me.

IIRC, they improved the Mako handling a fair bit for the LE. At least, I don’t recall rage-pounding my desk or throwing a controller when driving it the way I sometimes did with the original release.

Driving all over the super boring planets to find the super repetitive buildings to kill the reskinned bad guy hoards is still annoying as hell, though.

I wonder if there are people who play Madden and go, ‘Wait what? I have to play another football game? I just played like a half dozen of these damn things! And the players are just reskinned versions of the last team I played!’

Same. Legendary Edition made it tolerable, and I played through all 3 finally. As above, the mako missions are still tedious, but waaaaay less so when you can just beeline to the points of interest and be done.