Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered - coming soon?

Burn, you S.O.B.

I made th mistake of getting during the Steam sale so I have to fight with the while EA desktop/origin/windows/Xbox compatibility bullshit. I basically had to start my computer, kill the Xbox client startup, and then hope I could launch the game from Steam without the compatibility problems between origin and ea desktop. If I played any other game regardless of what service I started it thru I could never get ME to start. I thought about returning it by ended up playing more than 2 hours so that was out. Tempted to buy it on sale for Xbox S just so I don’t have to futz around with the PC crap.

Why in the world would you run EA Desktop and Origin at the same time?

I just launched the remastered trilogy for the first time to see how it worked and I had to log into my EA account once. Then quit the game. Then started the game, It didn’t ask for anything again.

Something is wrong over there, man.

Steam and Origin play nicely together for me, but I don’t use the Xbox client (or EA thingamajig) on my PC so perhaps it’s that extra layer which causes issues.

If you have stuff through steam and xbox gamepass it’s possible to get origin and desktop to decide to fight each other.

Not a big deal but silly.

I mean I would think you’d uninstall one then, wouldn’t you? Don’t they do the same thing?

I have the same issue. I think Gamepass uses the EA desktop thing and Origin is needed to launch ME.I had the problem a month or so ago when i first got it by launching from Steam but I found by starting Origin and launching ME from there it would work from me. Earlier today it did the same thing you get an orange Origin popup saying something “cute” like Origin and EA desktop don’t play nicely together blah blah blah…
I’ve found for me just logging out of Windows and back in gets it back in synch. I can vouch though this is a thing that happens.

To add to the ME discussion I’m plugging away through 1 still. I started a month or so ago. I did Feros and am about half way through Noveria. This is one of the extremely rare games it looks like I may finish, unless I just cursed myself ;-) As easy as the normal difficulty is my crew crushes. It used to be I felt like I killed everyone and that was fine. Now combat starts and ends and sometimes I don’t even pop a shot off. I sort of enjoy RPGs where I can just run around destroying the opposition so that’s ok.

I’ve been taking my time replaying these, but now in ME3 and the most frustrating thing about it is that they had all these super compelling companions in ME2 and then barely any of them return as full party members, instead replaced by generic soldier guy, sentient AI with camel toe, and original recipe generic soldier guy (Ashley/Kaidan). Liara’s interaction with Javik are great, Garrus and Tali get to return and that’s cool, but it’s not quite the same. Granted, there are good story reasons for some of their absences, but coming from ME2 where I could constantly rotate every party member in and out on missions and have a good time to avoiding half the squad in ME3 is rough.

I almost prefer 1 to 3 now, in fact.

This worked for me about 25% of the time. The only thing that worked all the time was restarting my pc and killing the Xbox client startup then immediately launching ME. I’m going to go on and reinstall it mostly because if I want Sci-fi RPGing, it’s about it. Plus I want to try and figure out how to get it to launch more consistently.

I guess that’s because since any or all of your ME2 Suicide Squad could die, the writers’ hands were tied concerning the amount of ME2 squadmates that could be included for the third outing. I suppose they could have allowed Jack, Samara, Miranda, etc. to join your squad if they were still alive (similar to Garrus & Tali) but I guess at the end of the day, they just decided to keep the core group with one or two extras, and let the remaining squad from ME2 play out their own stories. Plus, I imagine limiting the variables from ME2 to just Garrus and Tali was much easier than having to account for all 12 squad members.

I get that, but it seems that bringing Ashley/Kaidan back was just as much, if not more, work than, say, throwing Mordin or Miranda or whoever into the party (and I’m not even sure anyone actually likes Ashley/Kaidan). A bigger issue I had is that the new companions are almost all ass. Hard to believe the same people who came up with Jack and Thane also gave us Vega and EDI.

I wouldn’t advocate for all of the ME2 squad members as options. Beyond the time investment to make it work, some of their cameo missions did a great job of wrapping up their arc (Jack, Samara) and/or they wouldn’t make sense to return (Thane). But it is and was rough going from the ME2 companions to ME3’s.

Sheppard actually runs around dodging reaper eye ball shots in ME3, a real jumping the shark for gameplay drama., which tbh basically is ME3, scene after scene really.

It’s like, oh, it’s an existential threat that consumes worlds! (Hold X to dodge existential threat attacks).

I can’t really get upset about that because it resulted in an epic battle between a reaper and the mother of all thresher maws. You got kaiju battle in my space opera!

wait, what? it’s the other way around dude, not sparing her bites you in the ass, ha

Finally finished all three. Mass Effect is one of my favorite series and I played the 3rd one on release. I was so disappointed in the ending that I never played any of the DLC that they released or replayed the revamped ending.

I must say, Bioware’s work “fixing” the endings a bit was great. Anyone who is delaying 3 because of the end, I recommend giving it a shot now.

People Make Games has a feature on the backlash to Mass Effect 3’s ending with former Bioware developers.

Just the bump I needed to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_rY6gn7GNM

Oh, and happy N7 day everybody -

Modders have restored MLE’s missing DLC - Pinnacle Station