Mass shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh today.

Didn’t know that…hmm

Just read up on that, specifically the Abandonment of rationality, which fits this example. Going to have to think on that a bit.

I think that this topic came up a few years back. If same sex marriage was treated the same was as mixed race marriages, the courts would have done it years before it got on the ballots.

When you’ve lost Drudge…

(Who am I fooling. Drudge will be back tomorrow, happy as a clam.)

The replies to Drudge are awesome… basically a bunch of racists saying, “What’s wrong with you, Drudge!?”

How dare you have sympathy for victims of a mass homicide!!! Get with the team already!

Can’t take this timeline anymore, Vol. 927.

Gillum’s debate answer summed stuff up pretty well.

I dunno if the GOP is directly related to Nazis… but Nazis sure as hell seem to think that the GOP is their party.

Also, Steve King is clearly a nazi.

And the GOP doesn’t care. Which means at best they’re sympathizers. But literal Nazis are also running as Republicans so…

Apathy is the glove into which evil slips its hand.

Nazis gain power because the GOP cannot be bothered to stand up to them.

But there will be a phalanx of furrowed brows in their way!

How many clutchings does it take to get to the center of a pearl necklace?

Can’t tell if that’s a Tootsie Pop reference or you’re talkin’ dirty, Rich!

Don’t forget all the thoughts and prayers.

I think it’s more than that. The Republicans may not be literal Nazis but they have clearly embraced Fascism at this point so they are natural allies with the literal Nazis.

Honestly, I’m not sure which is worse. Nazis are violent hateful pieces of shit but they are also on some level like the world’s most loathsome Civil War reenactor, play acting at belonging to some glorious past where their heroes ultimately got their asses kicked. The Republicans, meanwhile, are forging a new Fascism for our times.

I supposed the literal Nazis are worse right now but the new Fascists arenlikely to pose the bigger threat.

I would parse it this way, there are a few in the party that would be right at home in the Nazi party, and there are others quiet about it, and other republicans that are disgusted by it (and know it hurts their brand) but not enough people in the party are doing enough to cause a critical response to alienate those that could be at home in the Nazi party.

The reasons for this are varied, and complicated, but chief among them is the increasing myopic tribalism. Tribalism that is running through both parties btw.

To clarify only one party has members that would be at home in the Nazi party, but both sides are equally tearing apart the fabric of this nation with ‘the other side is more evil’ (insert monolithic definition)

Ah yes. One side is Nazis, but the other side hates Nazis, so both sides are to blame.

Except one side is actually trying to kill the other side, and take away their voting rights, and make the Earth uninhabitable, etc. The other side is… trying to slightly raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans, and trying to ensure a minimum level of healthcare.

So, you know, both sides.

No. Sorry.

Congrats. That might be one of the grosser things anyone has typed on this forum in a while.

If being against institutional racism and speaking out against it is a sin, I echo Huck Finn: “Alright then, I’ll go to hell.”