Mass shooting at Annapolis newspaper

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1012761083076063233

How that happens:

Detective 1 to Detective 2: “No, they haven’t ID’d him yet. They’re running him through some facial recognition.”

Detective 2: “Why not use his fingerprints?”

Detective 1: “I dunno. Maybe the database is down again, they can’t run 'em right now.”

Moments later, Detective 2 to Detective 3: “They ID’ing our guy right now. Facial recognition. Can’t run the prints.”

Detective 3 to random cop 1: “Just heard they’re having to use facial recog on the perp. Something about him not having fingerprints!”

Random cop 1 to Random cop 2: “You hear about this guy? He got no fingerprints!”

Random cop 2: “What? How’s a guy got no fingerprints?”

Random cop 1: “I dunno. Maybe he burned 'em off or something.”

Random cop 2, sees reporter, decides to be part of the narrative: “Have I got a juicy detail for you…”

Probably, which is why early reports on this kind of thing tend to be very unreliable.

Matthew 25:40-45? Cause I can’t think of one that Trumpsters ignore more than that one.

Yeah, it was part of the sheep and the goats.

It’s a little more complicated than saying this was just an apolitical act of madness.

The only two politicians Ramos had tweeted about, according to Hutson, were Donald Trump and Michael Peroutka, a wealthy neo-Confederate funder turned Maryland county councilman. Hutson has written about Peroutka, as have I. Peroutka had major funding ties to former Alabama judge and U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore, as well to the League of the South, whose leader, Michael Hill, had written approvingly about plans to form paramilitary groups to fight a militarized “fourth generation” culture war, one of whose targets would be the media.

“To oversimplify, the primary targets will not be enemy soldiers;” Hill wrote, “instead, they will be political leaders, members of the hostile media, cultural icons, bureaucrats, and other of the managerial elite without whom the engines of tyranny don’t run.”

Those are some great articles about the victims. Thank you for linking them.

So if soldiers are not the target, then the soldiers won’t feel threatened, and everything will be okay. /s

I guess when you are an enemy of the state and a mass shooting happens to you and your coworkers, it would be inappropriate to fly the flag at half-staff.

Asshole.

Is it typical to lower flags for mass shootings? I thought it was just deaths of presidents and 9/11s and Pearl Harbors and stuff like that.

While I don’t know the answer here, the flags at the airport here lower several times a year and it’s rare I can match it to any one thing making the news at the time.

Is there a website that talks about the daily flag status? I guess Google could answer this for me

It’s typical to lower flags for nearly anything. National tragedies like mass shootings usually qualify.

Hell most of the time I have to go online to find out why they’re at half mast and it’s some random thing I’ve never even heard of.

Most states will do it if a cop dies in a car accident.

I was thinking that would be a good idea for a mobile app that could make tens of dollars.

They have lowered the flag for a number of disasters. I think sometimes the federal government makes the call (9/11, the Florida school shooting, the death of Barbara Bush) and sometimes the state government decides, and I suppose potentially local government could decide.

It has to be the governor or President as far as I know.

http://us.halfstaff.org/

He did for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shootings

Looks like the last 5 half-staff events for the U.S. flag were:

Memorial Day 2018
The Santa Fe, TX mass shooting victims
Barbara Bush’s death
Billy Graham’s death
Parkland mass shooting shooting victims

Not sure what excludes the latest mass shooting from being recognized (besides Trump’s hatred of the free press). Maybe the next five will answer it:

Pearl Harbor
Sutherland Srings mass shooting victims
Las Vegas mass shooting victims
Patriot’s Day
Memorial Day 2017

He also ordered half staff for the Chattanooga, Tenn. recruiting office shootings in 2015.

Maybe we can fly a new additional flag. Maybe the NRA flag… and it will fly at half-staff all year except when there’s been a mass shooting. If there’s been a mass shooting it can run at full-staff. I mean, I guess we could run it at full-staff every time there’s any sort of shooting, but then the thing would never be at half-staff and people would be confused.

We can run it at full staff when the NRA protects a lawful gun owner over the police.

In other words… never.