Master of Magic forum game

I really, really like Trolls and had my best game ever with that race.

I am a fan of alchemy, too.

We’ve already got Alchemy, since CLWheeljack put his picks there – any other spellbooks/attributes you want?

Green and Red magic have a lot of my favorites, though some of the blue spells with trolls can be crazy powerful. Maybe go with Red and Blue magic, skip green, so we can get some of the higher end blue spells? I can’t remember how many books we need to get invisible troll armies. :)

I vote for one nature spell book and Node Mastery, which should be available since we’ve already got a chaos and sorcery book.

Also, Trolls.

I’m cool with trolls, they would’ve been in my short list anyways. War mammoths are almost as good as giant fire breathing beetles (from an awesomeness perspective).

Alright, updated the first post. We have 3 picks left, I recommend they be put into spell books, or we are going to have a lot of mana with nothing to spend it on.

Everything left to Death magic. It’s the only way to play MoM!

Can I have 2 picks? I vote two more Chaos skill books.

And I vote for Klackons!

EDIT: If Turin is doing death as 2 of the last 3 picks I’d just put my one pick in death as well so we have at least one spell mastery with 3 books. I still vote for klackons though.

True, but on the other hand, having a very thin spell book is a good way to get to the Spell of Mastery win condition earlier. The trick is to make the best use of the early spells to get oodles of spell research, since the cost on the Spell of Mastery is so high. Having said all that, SoM is a somewhat difficult way to win, and doesn’t let you do quite as much stomping of enemies with massive armies of Trolls, so I’m all for more books. I’d recommend one more of each book we have now, but I used my picks already.

I was always partial to Lizardmen, but that’s because I liked to do sneaky things with early swimming units. I used to spam javelineers, which works great up until the enemy wises up and starts using the Warp Wood spell.

Since you took Myrran, you have access to the extra races, which I remember being pretty good; it’s one of the major advantages of taking the trait in the first place. Then again, Klackons are pretty hilarious (in a Zerg-like way). I was always amused that they showed up again in Master of Orion.

It’s been long enough that I don’t remember much about which spells go with which books. That said, I agree that the remaining points should probably be dumped into spell books instead of traits.

Oh, another thing:

If players want to be considered for an adviser position (first magician, first administrator, etc.), let me know. I’ll randomly pick someone for each, and we can switch when the turn passes in the round-robin. Everyone else will be in the general senate to advise, protest, harangue, whine, declare, etc. But the adviser sets the priorities. Details below:

First Magician: Determines research priorities and manages persistent enchantments, as well as magic management (thanks peacedog!).

First Minister: Advises city development (Civilian)

First Warrior: Advises army makeup

First Champion: Advises hero priorities and recruitment

First Speaker: Advises diplomatic relations

ALSO: let me know if you want to be included in the round-robin roulette. This requires that you own a copy of MOM and are willing to play 20-30 turns under the forum’s priorities. I’ll set up a queue in a random order.

You should include magic management in this category, not just research priorities. That is, the value of the 3 sliders that determine how much of raw magic is converted to mana, research, and boosting magic power.

I vote for 2 life books and pick dwarf or halfling.

halfling’s breeding speed makes overpopulate any race on myrran a piece of cake.

I just like dwarve because they get ton of production and money.

quick question, what difficulty is the game on?

I don’t want to participate, but am glad to see you all doing this. I finally was able to pick this up last year on GoG, but still have yet to get the hang of it, even though this game should be right up my alley. I have no idea how I missed this game the first time around in the 90s.

I am looking forward to following this and learning anything I can from you masters! It also reminds me; I still need to install this on my new Win7 machine.

Oh yeah, I forgot to vote for that. Given that we’re going to be managing by commitee, we’ll probably suck, so let’s not go too high. How about Medium, and a Large map?

I’m down for both.

This makes so much sense that that’s what we’re going to do.

I want in for an adviser position.

Also, if there are any picks left, I vote Warlord.

Whatever wizard you create, give him the face of the sorcerer dude. The guy with the turban. Then the computer doesn’t pick him. Early on he’s a pain in the ass.

I believe with new patch, computer will randomly generate wizard now.

I know in the original game, unless you are playing on impossible, as long as you pick the draconian wizard, you will not have any opponents on Myrran, which makes the game really easy since once you cast planar seal you basically have entire myrran to yourself.

I want the advisory position for our military if no one wants it.