Master of Magic remake, created by Thea devs, published by Slitherine

What you doing here, sir? Hmpf!

I was interested in the game, I just didn’t realize the base game was being sold for such a high price.

The games looks aren’t a key feature for me, but it seems to be to other people.

After it goes done to about a dollar, I will probably jump on it.

It’s only $6 on Steam.

Also, this and the new DLC are on Steam, which I thought was cool. I wishlisted it to pick it up for a few bucks at the next sale.

What are we talking about that’s expensive? Master of Magic for $6 on GOG and then $3 for the Caster update?

I assume, yeah. No idea what the big deal is, no.

6 dollars is about 5 dollars more then I want to spend on it, or really can afford.

Money is usually tight, but we live comfortably lives because we are careful. That usually means not buying coffees, planning meals and eating at home.

It also means not spending 6 dollars on games that I current have on DosBox somewhere, and haven’t played in years.

It all adds up.

It is indeed a high price given that most of us have bought the game already on a CD that probably won’t work today (or has been lost after countless of relocations)!

Don’t smokescreen us while you implied in your statement that Master of Magic had ugly graphics, you heretic!

OK, you’ve intimated your financial approach before on here and I respect that.

A better choice of words than “I just didn’t realize the base game was being sold for such a high price.” is probably a good approach for next time. I thought it was like $30 or something. $6 is not “such a high price” in a world where that gets you two cups of regular coffee or a large fancy one.

I wouldn’t call that beverage “coffee”.
Let’s see how far we can derail this thread :D

You know what I mean!

We can settle this over lap times in Virtua Racing! Another game with “ugly graphics”!

I typed my previous sentence while sipping a cup of Nescafé… Oh the human contradictions!
Can I back out and get a pass on making public my lap times? :O

Here’s the changelog for Caster of Magic 6.0
http://seravy.x10.mx/CasterofMagic/CASTEROFMAGIC.HTML

I’ve not played the mod before, looking forward to checking it out.

I’ll let you slink away… just this once! :)

MoM actually has consistent and excellent art direction, within the limitations of a VGA display.

Deity Empires looks like programmer art.

Deity Empires with wabbit’s mods looks like programmer art mixed in with random pics from any generic obsessively detailed DeviantArt fantasy page.

I like the game for what it is, but it really is ugly as fuck.

ANYWAY.

Can’t recommend Caster of Magic highly enough. Just rolled over the nearest guy with Flame Bladed slingers, and life is so very good.

e: For anyone wondering about challenge / AI, I think this section from the manual lays it out pretty well. My experience with the mod tracks with everything here.

The Easy difficulty level is recommended for complete beginners. The AI receives a resource penalty and intentionally plays worse. The Normal difficulty level is recommended for the first few playthroughs of the mod, if you already played 4X games before, or Master of Magic in particular. The AI gets no advantage here, and is still holding back on strategies as well as being prohibited from using custom wizards or starting on Myrror. Fair is an alternate version of the Normal difficulty, the AI will no longer hold back on most strategies, and can create their starting wizard without restriction, but they still don’t get much of an advantage otherwise. Advanced gives the AI a small resource advantage while Expert gives a relevant amount. These are recommended for regular playing if you’re already familiar with the mod. Master and Lunatic are very hard difficulties where the AI gets a fairly large bonus (however still much less than in the original game) and might use some strategies that specifically take advantage of this fact. Use these for additional challenge once you found your favorite and most effective strategies.

Ill definitely be buying the steam version of MoM assuming its compatible with this mod. I do own it on GoG, but its cheap and I do not want to install yet another launcher.

Both the Steam and GOG versions have the dlc available.

I wanted to check out the new MoM and hadn’t launched GoG in years only to discover the piece of shit launcher is still in FUCKING BETA and it won’t let me install any of my games even after updating the shitware. This is why I left PC gaming behind and went to console.

Still playing MOM and MOO2. I have had them on every computer since they came out. Thank you GOG.

Oh and, Perfect General 2 as well. :)

I’ll also give a tip of my hat to GOG (and profanity free!). Because they exist, Alpha Centauri has been installed on every computer I’ve had since it’s launch (SMAC) in 1999.